IGNORED

How do golfers keep their irons so new?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 5206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep a wet towel and plastic brush on my bag and clean a club after every shot. I hate picking up a dirty club from the bag. By cleaning them after the shot I know they are ready for action on the next one.

I don't understand how some people can play with clubs where the grooves are filled with dirt and grass.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have come across a few golfers on different occasions and was surprise to see how new their irons are. The chrome is still fully intact without much scratches and shining like a new club. Other than some small mark on the groove itself, you can hardly tell that the club is used. What makes me more surprise is that when i asked them how long they have been using the irons, the answers were "well, i've been having these for the last 4 years". Mind you that these are not the type of golfers who play once a year. I believe they play at least twice a month and going to driving range very often.

I have actually been told this about my irons and I hit the range 3-4 days a week and try to play once a week...

Since i'm about to get my new set of clubs, i would like to get some tips from the folks here on how to take care of your clubs. Nothing beats having a set of clubs that look like new than ones that look like they have been through war zone. BTW, i do use irons covers but they still scratch especially on the driving range mat.

Basically all I do is clean them after every use with windex and a golf club cleaning tool (it really does not take that much time)...I also will clean my club after 10-20 balls while at the range (this is mainly to see where I am making impact) but I think this helps as I think dirt is what tarnishes the finish on clubs more then most think. I also clean them off with a wet towel after every shot when I play as I do want to pull a club while focusing on what I need to do on my next shot and it is dirty and I have to stand there and clean it.

I also use iron covers but only to transport my clubs in my SUV (I hate the sound of them banging around back there) but do not use iron covers while at the range and/or while playing as they are a pain.
Does the ability to keep your irons new have to do with how good a player you are?

I don't think this has any thing to do with it as I take a fairly good divot but I have been told how my clubs look lke new (not talking about my

R 9 's becuase they are only 6 weeks old but my last set of clubs)

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I play just about everyday in the summer and normally at least a couple times a week in the winter so my irons are just going to get used a lot and beat up. That combined with the fact that I live in the desert and we don't have a lot of grass other than in the fairway so off line shots land you in sand as opposed to long rough. Doesn't really matter though, I am not all that into what my irons look like and I am certainly not going to look like a douchebag and put iron covers on them.

As far as I am concerned clubs are tools. As long as they work I am not going to fret about their appearance. That being said I certainly keep my woods and my Scotty Camerons covered.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

. . . I think my irons have stayed in decent shape for a long time because I walk.....

How would Walking keep your irons in better shape?

How can that be the worst thing? if the bag is upright and strapped to the cart the clubs are less likely to sway around and bang against eachother unlike when you are carrying them the bag/clubs rattle with every step, Just my opinion anyway.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Exactly what I thought as well.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I'm not talking about clubs that look dirty or covered with mud which can be easily cleaned away. I'm also not fuzz about a few dings here or there.

I'm more amazed at some of the golfers who can retain the original shine of the club especially at the base or the bounce of the club. I understand that people who can consistently hit on the sweetspot will not leave any scar on the heel or toe of the club which are usually caused by shank, but how can people who play very often and still keep the bounce of the club as shining as new? It is as if they can hit the ball without the bounce touching the ground or make divot? Is this possible?

As others have said...
* Keep clean during round. If you have sand in the grooves and hit another shot, that starts damage.
* After round, wash in hot soapy water, and rinse in clean hot water. The hot water evaporates quickly with just a little toweling to prevent rust.

Also, pick irons with a dull nickel or satin finish. Chrome highlights the scratches and dents.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It also depends on the kind of clubs you are using. I had a set of Ping Zing 2s and were it not for a rock chunk taken out of one of the wedges, they didn't look any worse for wear than when I finished my first season with them. Had those 14 years. My new clubs are forged and unfortunately they have lots of bag chatter and I've hit a rock with my 9i. They shine, they're just getting lots of dings. I'm resigned to just keeping my tools clean. Results and feel are what's important.

what i dont understand is how people DONT take care of their clubs.
i wipe my club down after each shot with my bag towel, and will throw them in a bucket of water after a round let them soak for 30 seconds and take the copper wire brush and towel to them to clean them off.

i've seen people play with irons that have so much dirt on them. how the hell do you expect to get any type of spin when the grooves are filled with dirt?

i watched a show on the importance of the grooves and how the new rules are affecting shots. ever since then ive been OCD about ensuring my grooves are clean after every shot. you are doing yourself a disservice by not.

most sets of irons are $500+. Why wouldn't you take care of them? the face is the single point of contact between you and the ball

two words iron covers
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

what i dont understand is how people DONT take care of their clubs.

I agree about trying to keep grooves clean after every shot. I wipe mine off after virtually every shot. Doesn't get them spit shine clean but it prepares them for the next use. Cleaning after the round is great. I would encourage you to put away the wire brush. I NEVER use a wire brush on my clubs. That is overkill and wears down the grooves/faces prematurely. If you wipe them down after every shot they shouldn't be that crudded up when you get home. Takes very little for me to get mine clean with warm water and a toothbrush after a round and I just would never think of using a wire brush on my clubs, especially my wedges. I agree, with the cost of clubs, I don't understand why people don't take the utmost care of their equipment.

two words iron covers

denture brush

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

two words iron covers

Former college player who works for golf store says

no to iron covers during play. Says iron covers can trap moisture, during and after play, and lead to rusting. He only uses them when he travels long distance with clubs, esp. when he flies. But, he removes them at destination, and only puts them back on after final club cleaning before return home.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Former college player who works for golf store says

. . . news at 11:00.

Sorry - that just sounds like a headline.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In one of the previous posts, it talked about placing your bag towel through the last row or so of your iron in your "traditional carry bags." The towe will prevent the clubs from rattling every other step.

If you really think about the abuse that your body takes riding in a golf cart with your idiot friend after a 6-pack imagine the stress on your clubs not bracing themselves. It isn't that hard to see why walking is just all around better for your game. 2010 - the year of walking!!!!

My irons always look new because i take good care of them. Golf equipment is not cheap. I have been asked the same question plenty of times at the course and at the range. 1st i won a groove sharpener. After every couple rounds i will re sharpen all my grooves. It actually re cuts the metal and keeps them in perfect condition. 2nd I own a kit called the Club Cleaning Kit. Its made by Golf Digest. Its around $10 and with the purchase you get a free year subscription to Golf Digest which is worth it. It comes with 3 brushes, 1 wire, 2 Nylon. It also comes with a cleaning solvent, metal polish, grip restore, 1 cleaning sponge and 1 polishing cloth. It is well worth it and keeps your equipment looking fresh. If im not re grooving or cleaning and polishing my clubs i will atleast wipe them down with a wet towel after a round. My irons are in mint condition and i intend on keeping them that way as long as i can. It also helps he re sale value if you ever want to trade them in for a new set. I also agree with the answer's of keeping them on or around the fairway aslo. If your hitting your clubs out of dirt and trees there going to hit small rocks and pebbles and get damaged. Its as simple as that.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

i cant understand why everyone doesnt use iron covers... my last 3 sets of irons have all looked essentially new after a year or more of use.. and as such brought more trade in value when I changed irons. I live in HI and there is tons of moisture here.. simply dry the head before you put it in the cover.. no rust. Gets rid of bag chatter and all the dings that come with it.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

I also use iron covers. It took a bit of getting use too but now it's just routine and I don't even think about it when playing.

I have a set of Mizuno MP-37's that I played with for 3 years. Other than the normal face wear of playing 3-4 times a week, they look brand new. Same thing for my current set of MacGregor MT Pro-M's.

Using iron covers are not going to increase the performance of the club, I do it for the aesthetics, and to preserve the value of the club. Plus, in my mind, it gives me confidence pulling a new looking iron out of the bag for a shot, but that's just me!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 5206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!