IGNORED

Jerry Kelly's Opinions on the PGA Tour

jamo
Note: This thread is 5210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the..._without_tiger

That is an article and a video including some comments by Jerry Kelly. I first saw this mentioned on SportsNation last week on ESPN2, and the "debate" was to whether or not Tiger "is" golf. The normal co-host, Collen Cowherd, (who i don't usually put too much stock into anyway) was replaced by formal NFL player Marcellus Wiley (who i put less stock into, golf-wise at least), and he and the ohter co-host (Michelle Beadle, who might be one of the most knowledgeable woman in ESPN) completely bashed Jerry Kelly. They basically said golf=Tiger, and no one else matters. Today, I saw this article on the main site and it made me remember the story.

My point is, I felt almost a little mad at SportNation for them saying that. I mean, they basically said nothing else matters when it comes to golf. I don't really blame them, if i want golf-specific programming i golf for Golf Channel, but Tiger Woods IS NOT golf. He is golf's greatest player ever but he isn't why I watch, and i'm sure a lot of people on this forum are the same way. I don't play golf because Tiger Woods does, and I don't watch golf because he plays. I know many people only watch when he plays, but not everyone.

Jerry Kelly says "the game of golf will move on. The game of golf will have its stars," and he is exactly right. Tiger is not above golf. Now, do i look down upon Tiger, yes, but is he still the greatest player. But one good player does not a sport make.

So, basically, Jerry Kelly- more power to ya. He didn't deserve the bashing he got on ESPN.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If he never plays competitive golf again that's okay, but if he tees it up next week, that's okay too.

I'm excited to be playing indoor golf again tonight. The hockey game will be on the big screen (what an awful Wildcard weekend - Cards/Packers notwithstanding - almost glad Monday night football is over). My back and wrist are feeling good, I'm taking some "new" persimmon woods, giving my old Titleist tour blades another chance, trying a new wedge set-up, and totally looking forward to a frosty pint while at the virtual driving range.

Tiger who?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

To outlets that make $$$ on carrying golf Tiger is golf. To the real fans of the game he is merely it's greatest player. I completely agree with Jerry Kelly but am not shocked by the attitudes of ESPN, The Golf Channel, et al.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

If you watch touneys that Tiger doesn't play, you're a golfer. If you only watch tourneys that Tiger plays, you're a person who plays golf.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

To outlets that make $$$ on carrying golf Tiger is golf. To the real fans of the game he is merely it's greatest player. I completely agree with Jerry Kelly but am not shocked by the attitudes of ESPN, The Golf Channel, et al.

Thats a good point. To ESPN and all of the other golf broadcasting channels Tiger leaving really would be the worst thing on Earth. The problem is, it doesn't really matter to me. Those channels still pay millions of dollars for the rights to broadcast golf, and they still make plenty of money. Especially ESPN.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watched golf long before Tiger came along. And will continue to do so even if he fades into the sunset. I enjoy watching the Champions Tour(yes, my age), LPGA and the Nationwide Tour. To me the only thing interesting about the Tiger factor was/is seeing him break Jack's record. So the ratings may be poor for TGC and ESPN due to Tiger's absence, but it won't be because of me.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

It's all about ratings to them, which of course drives advertising dollars.
I think they were playing World Series and Opens long before television even existed and will be playing for a long time to come.

If you watch touneys that Tiger doesn't play, you're a golfer. If you only watch tourneys that Tiger plays, you're a person who plays golf.

I compare watching golf without Tiger like watching the Celtics in the '80s without Larry Bird - still fun and enjoyable, but just not the same. Like part of the game was missing. With that being said, I watched just about every moment of the SBS Championship (drove my wife crazy). I will continue to watch PGA, LPGA, and European Tour because I am hooked. Must admit, I missed seeing Phil this weekend as much as Tiger. Guess I qualify as a golfer.

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

I watch the Golf channel anytime a tourney is on. I like all of the tours. I watch the replays of the day before! I like watching Tiger best.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

For me, Tiger is not golf. The tour offer's much more than just one guy. I was turned off by Tiger a long time ago, and I'm pretty happy right now I don't have to watch him throw his little childish tantrums right now. He could stay lost out in the world for all I care.

Well said. And kudos to Jerry Kelly! Its time people woke up to golf w/o number 1. Yes, he is the greatest, but every thing changes, time doesn't stand still, and golf will survive. Sadly, it is all about the Benjamins!

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

If ESPN and TGC would like to protect their longer term investment, they could do worse than to adopt Kelly's line. Apart from being true, they could encourage themselves to look out more for skills and emering talent - that way, the will be able to sustain their commercial interest indefinitely.

As for emerging characters who are also gallery-friendly, I think we can see two very clearly, already: Ryo Ishikawa and Rory McIlroy. Won't golf be better and maybe even more interesting if it had a genuine long-term rivalry?

If ESPN and TGC would like to protect their longer term investment, they could do worse than to adopt Kelly's line. Apart from being true, they could encourage themselves to look out more for skills and emering talent - that way, the will be able to sustain their commercial interest indefinitely.

Well said. TGC really should know better, whereas it's what you'd expect from ESPN. Jerry Kelly is making sense IMO. You'd think some of the sports media people would care more about not looking like idiots and a bit less about short-term ratings, which they are in a position to do something about other than showing so many TW replays over the break. Time for some to wake up and smell the roses. TW will be back but things won't be quite as they were for some in the business.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!