IGNORED

How do I stop swaying?!

Note: This thread is 5185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My swing has always had a big sway in it and it has made me less consistent than i know i could be.

I have had many lessons and the sway was one of the things ive worked on, but i can never seem to get rid of it! I can have practice swings without the sway and hit soft shots without the sway....well really only pitches and maybe up to about a soft 9 iron shot...but the minute i start trying to hit the ball hard the sway comes back.
It can really effect my driving as i cant get my hands to catch up with my body so can start loosing a lot of shots to the right.

Does anyone have any simple tips or drills to help me get rid of this for good? I'm willing to put a lot of work into this as i need to become more consistent to get into my university team.

Cheers

In my :mizuno: Staff Bag
Driver: :ping: i15 S-flex USTMamiya Tour Red
Fairway: :titleist: 909F2 15.5 X-flex UST Proforce V2 85
Hybrid: :mizuno: MP-FliHi 21* S300 +2 deg, +1/2"
Irons: :mizuno: MP-67 4-PW DG S300 +2 deg, +1/2"

Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 52.08 56.08 60.04

Putter: :cameron: Newport Beach customised by Kevin Colbert

Ball: :callaway: HX Black

GPS: :skycaddie: SGX

Can you post a video of your swing. Maybe that will show us what is causing the sway.

Do you feel that your swing stays pretty synchronized, or does it get out of sync and stay out of sync?

Driver: Adams 9105d Tech A4 Harrison Saga 70 Stiff
Driver: Adams 9032ls VooDoo XNV6
Nike 17* 4W Sq - VooDoo svs7
Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
4-PW: Mizuno MP-52, Project X53*: Cleveland Golf 58856*: Callaway X-Forged MD60*: Callaway X-Forged MD

I used to have this problem. There was no secret to it. All i did was focus on where my weight felt it was, and focused on keeping my head where it was. No drills or anything, i just had to focus.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Without seeing your swing, it's tough to tell what's causing you to sway and pull through the ball. However, I'd work hard on turning your hips on the the way back while maintaining pressure on the inside of your right foot. As soon as you let your weight roll outside your right foot, it becomes much easier to sway through the ball and you lose a great deal of torque in the downswing.

Try this - stomp a range ball 1/2 way into the ground. Take your stance with this half-submerged range ball under the outside of your right foot (under arch). If done correctly, this should slightly cant your right knee in. Hit a few shots this way, and concentrate on loading up on the inside of your right foot, powering off of it through impact.

My dad would also suggest i hit shots with the idea that I was pinching a beachball between my knees. Both ideas work to create a turn at the hits rather than a lower body sway. Good luck!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I was doing this a little bit, and I found it useful to "lock" or tense my right leg. This meant that I could not sway to the right during the upswing.

This is not a good thing to do I believe during the swing itself on an ongoing basis and I am not recommending that, but the reason I found it useful while learning not to sway, was that it taught my upper body and hips, what it should feel like to be turning correctly as it was much more "taught".

try it out, it might be useful to you, might not. don't know till you try!

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

Theres a few things that swaying could be. The main reason why a golfer will sway is a locked back knee during your backswing or before. 2nd is if you sway at the top of your backswing your putting to much weight on your back leg producing a reverse pivot. In addition to the previously mentioned problems, the sway also puts the back hip in a position that does not allow any lateral movement during the backswing. This happens because the hip is out of line with the leg and locks the joint about 1/4th of the way into the backswing. The result is a mostly arms, over the top golf swing that is not powerful and is hard to time. Now how do you fix it. Well 1st you have to take away the need for any lateral movement in the backswing. The next time you take your stance, once you are comfortable, simply angle your body from the hips up (keeping the hips centered on the feet), away from the target until your head is behind the ball and 70% of your body weight can be felt under the arch of your back foot. Your back knee should be flexed and you should keep it that way during the backswing. If you do these two simple adjustments to your setup, you should prevent the sway before you even start moving the golf club. Hope this helps.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

thanks for the suggestions so far guys, i was up at the range today and was focusing more on not swaying and keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot....man it felt weird!

once id got through the first 50 balls or so i started hitting my irons really nicely with just a touch of fade at the end ( I may still have been swaying a touch, definatley a lot less than usual though but i wont be certain that ive stopped doing it until i see it on video)....the problems again were with the longer clubs, the driver and 3 wood were just firing all over the place
This was the first time i had hit any balls in 4 weeks as the ranges have all been shut here because of the snow, so it could be a bit of rustyness too, but i just dont seem to be able to hit a good ball without swaying with the long clubs.

Im going back up to the range on thursday and will try and get a few videos of my swing then for you all to have a look at...il get some with irons and woods.

cheers

In my :mizuno: Staff Bag
Driver: :ping: i15 S-flex USTMamiya Tour Red
Fairway: :titleist: 909F2 15.5 X-flex UST Proforce V2 85
Hybrid: :mizuno: MP-FliHi 21* S300 +2 deg, +1/2"
Irons: :mizuno: MP-67 4-PW DG S300 +2 deg, +1/2"

Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 52.08 56.08 60.04

Putter: :cameron: Newport Beach customised by Kevin Colbert

Ball: :callaway: HX Black

GPS: :skycaddie: SGX

Im of the opinion that a little lateral movement off the ball is not that big of an issue. Its more athletic to move around a little than to just turn your body into a rigid pole with arms attached to it. But i read in one of the other posts if you overdo it (usually by trying to over swing) you will reverse pivot. And that's not good. I know i move laterally both ways during my swing. You just don't want to go up and down. The key is to find a place where you can remain balanced with the weight so you can go though the ball cleanly.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I used to prevent sway by keeping pressure on my right instep. But I found it difficult to keep my right instep down until impact.

Recently I have refined that by applying a clockwise torque on the balls of both feet throughout the swing. This move has the potential to clean up my entire swing by using the ground to automate the transition.

I would say to lay off the hooch!

FORE!

Cleveland CG7 3-PW fitted, stiff shafts
Hand me down putter, Jack Nicklaus model
Cleveland Hibore 3 wood 13 deg. stiff shaftCleveland Launcher 9 deg, stiff shaft

simple, swing with your feet together with all your clubs including your driver, if you sway you will lose balance and fall over.

1) take the club back on its natural arc
2) brace your rear foot by keeping the weight on the inside of your foot
3) keep a slight bend in your knees

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I used to prevent sway by keeping pressure on my right instep. But I found it difficult to keep my right instep down until impact.

Can you please elaborate on how you do that, do you turn your torgue clockwise on your back foot on the backswing then front foot on the downswing? Reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to do this now because I have a hard time shifting the weight at the moment of impact. usually I shift it before impact and waste power in the process.

G2 Driver/3 Wood    MP 52 Irons   52 Deg. Wedge    56 Deg. Spin Milled Wedge

60 Deg. X-Tour Wedge   G5i Tess Putter

www.swingtrainergolf.net

Note: This thread is 5185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!