IGNORED

My Swing (kleraudio)

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 3872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Priceless man! Thanks a lot! I looked at the vids frame by frame on the computer and I definitely see that now, my hands are coming outside my "hand line" I guess you could call it. Very huge for me to understand this!

Typically - and this only applies until your right arm begins folding, or parallel on the backswing - you'll want the hands and clubhead to slide up this line. As you can see your clubhead wasn't too far back - it just looks worse because your hands went so far away from the line.

So the camera angle is bad huh?

Just barely. Really not too bad.

Hands need to be WAY more in?

See the image above and the "deep" hands thing, yes. He's talking about what I was talking about.

Oh and another question, Im playing a round on Saturday, should I think about all this stuff when playing for real.

If you find one key that works for you focus on that and that alone.

But otherwise, I'd take an extra club and just make smooth swings all day, slightly abbreviated swings perhaps.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ive figured it out. Ive been watching A LOT of footage on youtube and it seems like I fold my right arm way to early. If I keep my right arm straight (or mostly straight) till the club is parallel I find im in a much better position to continue with the swing. I cant prove it yet though.

I drove to the range but it was closed due to the massive rainfall out here yesterday..... oh well, I was definitely pumped up to see if I was right.

Does this sound about right? Keep the right arm straight until the club is parallel to the ground. It feels a lot better in rehearsal as well. In the vids and stills that have been posted in this thread, my right arm folds way to early causing the club to go inside.......

At least this is what I think is going on...

This will be my swing thought for tomorrows round (straight right arm till club is parallel) I think this will give me some nice extension as well.

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

No comments on my last post? Just wondering if I correct about the backswing here.

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Ive been watching A LOT of footage on youtube and it seems like I fold my right arm way to early. If I keep my right arm straight (or mostly straight) till the club is parallel I find im in a much better position to continue with the swing. I cant prove it yet though.

You're not that far off from that though. So I don't know why you'd worry about your right arm:

That's almost straight there.
Does this sound about right? Keep the right arm straight until the club is parallel to the ground. It feels a lot better in rehearsal as well. In the vids and stills that have been posted in this thread, my right arm folds way to early causing the club to go inside.

Concern yourself with the hand path, not the clubhead path for now. Fix the hand path first. The clubhead - as I showed you in that diagonal line picture - isn't that far off plane. The hands are WAY off the plane.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks Erik. So the hands have to move to the inside as well on the takeaway right?

How are you drawing those lines, I'd like to mess around with that. And should my hands be on that line as well during the takeaway?

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Thanks Erik. So the hands have to move to the inside as well on the takeaway right?

Look at the Shaft and Elbow Plane picture in my "terms I use" thing in my sig.

I draw the lines in Photoshop.

Cool, thanks man. Great list there actually.

But it says that the hands follow the shaft plane until parallel, but on a one plane swing. I am most definitely a 2 planer. Does this concept apply for that as well??

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
But it says that the hands follow the shaft plane until parallel, but on a one plane swing. I am most definitely a 2 planer. Does this concept apply for that as well??

Jim, a one-planer becomes a two-planer when his right elbow moves away from his chest.

That doesn't happen up to parallel. You're still on the shaft plane to that point.

Very cool, thanks for all the quick answers. Makes sense now, hope I can figure this one out. Vids coming Tuesday hopefully

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Alright, now Im frustrated. Just spent another 2.5 hours at the range working on my effin takeaway and STILL I cant get it right....

I dont know what the hell is going on. I took a bunch of video again but Im not even gonna bother posting it. Same old story. The club stays on plane very nicely but I cant get it facing the target when its parallel to the ground on the backswing...

I just cannot do it. Its very frustrating and I didnt hit the ball very well today. Bunch of fades. Ball took off straight but faded near its peak.

I can post the vids if you guys want but I just dont know what to do from here. Ive spent 9 hours total taking video and looking at my swing and havent made much progress......

What to do, what to do... maybe I should find a new hobby

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
I just cannot do it. Its very frustrating and I didnt hit the ball very well today. Bunch of fades. Ball took off straight but faded near its peak.

You just have to find the right feeling to get your hands back or to not rotate them or whatever it is that you're doing. There may be hundreds of drills or "feelings" you could try.

You can swing slowly. Do it in your house with a mirror.

Yea man, I will definitely continue to put in more hours to fix this! Even when I did it super slow, I thought I was in the right positions, that is until I saw it on video..... VERY VERY frustrating, thought this would be a simple fix...

Tough to break old habits I guess. Quitting smoking is probably easier than this!

Jim

erik, Ive been thinking about the swing a lot today, is the reason I cant get that damn club parallel is because Im not setting my wrists early enough??

Also, is this swing too shallow on the backswing?? Should I steepen my backswing?? Seems like the club is a tiny bit shallow and under the "plane line"??

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

from the thread on "deep hands" - drill from david_wedzik:

"
Re: "Deep" Hands Explained

Here is a good drill you can do at home to teach yourself what the correct depth (much better than "width") feels like:

1. Without a club - mimic set up with your back foot about 6-8" from a wall and have the foot (from heel to toe) parallel to the wall itself (i.e., if you had a club and were hitting a shot you will now look like you are hitting it directly away from the wall..not parallel to the wall)

2. Make a backswing with your front arm maintaining connection with your chest at the bicep (PP #4) and the hands moving inward (again no club...but hands in grip position pretending a club is there).

3. Now just be sure the lead arm keeps moving inward, backward and upward and "feels" as if it is moving parallel to the wall (not going straight back and running into the wall). The hands may brush the wall slightly but only very little...if set up 6-8" or so from the wall they should begin getting their inward depth just before the hands reach the wall or right as they "brush" it.

The drill is done far enough when the lead arm reaches parallel to the ground (should be angled inward about 35-40 degrees or so in relation to the stance line).

Dave"

thread:
http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ands-Explained

Colin P.

So Ive been doing A LOT of research on this deep hands stuff, along with a piece of paper and hours of youtube swing vision videos. Sure, some players hands do follow the swing plane on the takeaway, but a lot dont. Their hands also come off (away) from the plane and their positions are similar to mine (takeaway, I mean)....

I just dont know what to do from here, whos right, whos wrong??

This is killing me as I have to be VERY VERY steep to keep the club in front of that red line that Erik drew on page 1, second frame of the four frame set. At what point can the club go behind me? It MUST go behind me at some point.

When should I set my wrists? I like to let my wrists set themselves as that is when I hit my most consistent shots, but trying to do what your telling me to do Erik, I have to set my wrists rediculously early....

VERY VERY frustrated

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
So Ive been doing A LOT of research on this deep hands stuff, along with a piece of paper and hours of youtube swing vision videos. Sure, some players hands do follow the swing plane on the takeaway, but a lot dont. Their hands also come off (away) from the plane and their positions are similar to mine (takeaway, I mean)....

I'm guessing they don't move OUT farther from their bodies.

This is killing me as I have to be VERY VERY steep to keep the club in front of that red line that Erik drew on page 1, second frame of the four frame set. At what point can the club go behind me? It MUST go behind me at some point.

After the club hits parallel to the ground. You fling the club behind you (and your hands away from you).

When should I set my wrists? I like to let my wrists set themselves as that is when I hit my most consistent shots, but trying to do what your telling me to do Erik, I have to set my wrists rediculously early....

Tiger doesn't set his wrists that early.

I told you it wouldn't be easy. BTW, I was going to link to this image but then I'd have to explain why. Here's the monarch notes version: Tiger's hands don't move away from his body. They don't get super deep (his right elbow leaves his side) but they don't move away from him like yours do, either.

Getting the takeaway right is difficult, especially alone and perhaps only with a mirror. I find it easier to have someone stand and watch while you swing. You must of course explain what the person is supposed to be looking for first. Start very slowly, let the one watching guide you by saying what you are doing wrong. Once you find the right path, keep practicing the take away slowly, trying to remember the feelings. Once you find it, repeat it as much as possible, preferably with someone watching so you don't change it back again. You have to practice for hours and hours to get it into the muscle memory. You don't need someone watching you all the time, but frequent checking is useful.

You should do some work on the arms and wrists as well. On the picture over here, you have turned the arms over, opening the clubface. I suggest reading the Clubface Square to the Plane thread. The reason you get the clubface so far inside is the arms and wrists turning it over. This has probably been mentioned before too.

Something else that might help is having a video camera set up DTL and plug it into a TV or something. Then you can look at the TV while swinging and get the view from DTL. It's hard to see the paths from the point of view of the one swinging the club.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Erik and Zeph, thanks for the replies! So Erik, Im OK until the club gets to parallel right? Or is that all wrong too?

As long as I am okay up to the point of the club getting parallel, Ive made some progress.......

And yea, you were most definitely right, this was NOT as easy as I thought it'd be!

Zeph, Im gonna start lessons next month, so hopefully I can get some of this stuff worked out much quicker!

Im going to the range tomororow and I will post videos.

So after parallel, Im flinging the club behind me, I understand that. Where do I want it to go? Up instead of behind??

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Erik and Zeph, thanks for the replies! So Erik, Im OK until the club gets to parallel right? Or is that all wrong too?

I haven't seen a video yet where you're good up to P2, no. Maybe I missed one. Your hands go to the right (away from you) and the club flips behind you in every video I've seen.

Note: This thread is 3872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!