IGNORED

Rickie Fowler

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 5100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Going for it in two is overrated. Percentage play is the lay up, wedge, putt.

The stats disagree with you. Almost always do, too - but do on that hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is no water in the front of the green, go for it. With a huge lake between you and the hole, the reward might not be worth the risk. Doesn't statistics show that the closer the pros are to the hole on the approach, the more birdies they make, even eagles?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The stats disagree with you. Almost always do, too - but do on that hole.

Who's stats? Rickie's? Mine? Yours? Average Joes? Tour Pros?

Is there a link to these stats?

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Who's stats? Rickie's? Mine? Yours? Average Joes? Tour Pros?

Personally I'd rather try and get up and down from 20 paces off the green (in any direction from any lie) than trust a 130 yard approach - maybe that's why I suck.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Would it be tactless to say that I just realized he's half Japanese?

Not tactless, but inaccurate. He's 1/4 Japanese.

Examples of 1/2 Japanese players are Dean Wilson, Jordan Cox (at Stanford, who played in the 2008 US Open, as did Fowler), Pat Hurst (LPGA), and a couple more I can't remember. Only one of Fowler's grandparents is Japanese IIRC. Meanwhile, his loud colors somehow look appropriate on him (and on Villegas). but just look clownish/pathetic on Daly and that prick Ian Poulter.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

There is no guarantee that folwer makes a birdie by going for the green. He played the hole in the way he thought he could best score. I cant really fault him for that. It just didnt work out.

I agree, and you can ask Y.E. Yang about minimizing "how the ball bounces" for more details...

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Not tactless, but inaccurate. He's 1/4 Japanese.

Maybe it's because from the right (wrong?) angle they look like girls.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
Who's stats? Rickie's? Mine? Is there a link to these stats?

Rickie's stats and PGA Tour player's stats. And no, there's no link - some ShotLink data you can only access as a member of the press at the event.

The guy had 210 yards out. That's less than a 4-iron for him. Huge target. He could duff it 30 yards short of the pin and still be on land. Preferred lies so he could tee it up. Rickie Fowler is a wimp. He played for second-place money and hoped he might birdie 16 or 17 when the best opportunity was staring him in the face.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Im going to have to agree with Erik. Since November I have really thought about whether to go for it or not...but thats from 235+. I feel much more confident on my accuracy with a 4 iron (210) vs a 3 wood (230). He may not have won, but he still banked lol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
Im going to have to agree with Erik. Since November I have really thought about whether to go for it or not...but thats from 235+. I feel much more confident on my accuracy with a 4 iron (210) vs a 3 wood (230). He may not have won, but he still banked lol

And now that he has $875k in the bank and his Tour card is secure for 2011, maybe he'll have the stones to go for it.

I know I would :) BTW.....I hate Crosby more lol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

These guys dress outrageously these days, but I don't really blame them. Their sponsors send them boatloads of ready-to-go matching outfits, so why not wear them? I just laugh at the thought of any normal person seeing one of their outfits, going out and buying it for himself, and wearing it on his home course...

As for his game, I too am impressed. He seems to re-route his swing to the inside before his downswing, so it's not exactly textbook, but he gets great results. It reminds me of what they always say about Anthony Kim: he's a true athlete with a golf club in his hands. I didn't realize he was only 210 out when he laid up, though, that is pretty weak.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

You guys are too much. If Rickie were to read this thread, he'd have a jolly good laugh ..... someone should tell him about it.

I think you're prolly right with post #46 tho'. Wish that I had decisions like that to make .......

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

You guys are too much.

Haha yeah, these are the things I do when I am procrastinating doing anything productive with my time...

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Also remember that a then-winless Tiger gagger-vanced away the 1996 Quad Cities to Ed Fiori -- so Rickie is in good company.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

OK, that's too abstruse for me. Please give us the short version there Alex ....

"gager-vanced"?? How'd he do that?

Thanks in advance,
Chas.

p.s. in professional tennis, many of the greatest stars were gaggers in their early days. Almost too many to name. Not that I'm suggesting it applies here mind you ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

OK, that's too abstruse for me. Please give us the short version there Alex ....

Oh, man, I should've realized that I'm the only one who uses "gagger-vance" as a verb. It means "to choke," punning on the golf movie "The Legend of Bagger Vance." My error.

As for tennis players, Agassi is a perfect example.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Note: This thread is 5100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!