IGNORED

Nemesis Hole

allin
Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a nemisis hole at your home course?

• Yes, I look like Vandevelde at the open.
    • No, If I hit the right shot I get the right score.
    • I can't even remember one round to the next
    • Some holes are protected by evil spirits

The hole for me is number 13 on our course, about a 170 yard par 3. For some reason last year that was a tricky distance for me which compounded the issues. The green is extremely wide, about 40 yards and about 20 yards deep. A sever left to right slope and the flat area it drains to is the front right corner which is not big. Your choices are to have a precise shot right at the pin however you have to go over the pond right in front of the green and if you drift just a little right you have to contend with another pond that sits to the right and wraps around back. The other option is to hit on the left part of the green but catch the slope just right so it drains right or else you are left with a nasty downhill putt that will be long. There is also a sand trap that sits directly behind the green and in front of the water. There is also another pond that sits directly to the one in the front of the green on the left. It can be an intimidating hole just from all the water surrounding the green.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine:

#9 405 Par 4

One of the shorter par 4's but the design is brutal.  Blind tee shot from an elevated tee box through a tree lined shute to a landing small landing area 25ydsx20yds.  Its blocked by a creek that is 250 to the end of the fairway and 285 to carry, so that takes driver out.  OB left and a boatload of trees to the right.  If you get your second shot on the landing area you have about 180-200 to an 75 foot elevated green with a false front and severely sloped green sloped towards you.  Small lake and bunker protects any approach that is missed right.  Any shot left is faced with a 50' hill to get up and onto the green where you can't even see the flagstick.  Once your on the green it is the fastest green on the course any ball above the hole you can count on going ten feet past if you miss the hole.

I have only made par 3-4 times, no birdies.  I think once I birdie that hole I will stop playing that course haha.

I have seen alot of folks layup to the green just to take the lake and 50' valley out of the picture.  Any trouble off of the tee and your looking at a double at best.

Mine is a 440yd par 4 that I have never hit a GIR. It has a sloping fairway and the ball is almost always below my feet. Add the fact that I'm generally trying to hit a green from ~185-200 yards, and you have a nemesis hole. The last few times I played it, I've tried to really nut my driver and put myself in trouble by trying to shave yards off the approach. I wish I could skip that hole.

No such things are nemesis holes.  You just need to work on the weaker parts of your game until you know that you can make those shots.  For me, my weakness is 200-250 yard par 3s that are guarded by water, bunkers, elevated greens or deep rough.  For me, that a shot for a 17* hybrid or a 3-wood, which is a difficult club for me to get the ball to hold the green with unless I can land it a bit short and let it run up onto the green.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Mine's a par 3, 145 yards over water. It's about 110 to land, and 115 to the green. The green itself slope's downhill severely and par is very tough. However the most difficult part of the hole is the way the pond is shaped, which is diagonally. To the far right corner of the pond is about 100 yards, but to the far left corner is about 165. Usually, my ball follows the shore of the pond and into the water, due to my slice.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Sometimes you just gotta accept a bogey. If your worst hole is a bogey you're doing pretty good. I am a 6 handicap and my goal each round is nothing worse than a bogey. Bogies dont kill rounds doubles and worse will.

172 yard par 3. Immediately to the left is the river. Lining the entire right side are trees, which have grown to where they overhang the (narrow) fairway. Either I'll try to hit a knock-down (and end up nailing a tree anyway), or fade it in (but not enough and land in the water). I've tripled that hole more times than I care to remember.

My home course features the most cruel, evil hole ever to be played by man.

It is the 11th hole, Par 4 386y, slight dogleg right. First of all on the tee box you have low hanging pines on the right, so a draw is impossible to play because you would be forced to start the ball there. There is a small lake on the left and large fairway bunkers just beyond it. The right side is nothing but a huge lake that snakes along the entire hole up to the dome shaped green, which is guarded by deep bunkers on both sides and has a steep false front. The fairway is rounded, so anything not within the core 10 yards will feed off into the water. About 260 yards out (which just so happens to be my landing area for drives) the already narrow fairway bottlenecks until it is impossibly thin, and right there is what we call "the funnel" which is a severely sloped bowl that is invisible from the teebox that will suck seemingly perfect drives into the water (and you don't know it went in until you get there).

Here's what happens:

-I snap hook my drive into the the lake left

-I over-draw my drive into the bunkers left

-I push my drive straight onto the low hanging pines

-I slice my drive into the lake right

-I flush one right up the fairway only to find out that it "funneled" into the lake

The approach goes:

-Take a drop after any of the aforementioned scenarios only to put it back in the water

-I put it in one of the hard packed wet bunkers near the green

-I actually hit the green, only to putt it back off the green thanks to unfairly cut hole locations on the retardedly steep slope

The score:

-Never birdied

-Parred less than ten times

-Bogey is a good score

-Double probably most common

-Triple happens relatively often

-Quad is always a possibility

-Double digit score is recorded every so often

-Made a 14 on it once

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

hole7.jpg

I can't stand this hole. Roughly 330 from the blues (often shorter, since tree growth takes its toll on the back tee box), a hazard bisects the hole at a 45-degree angle as trees obstruct the right side of the fairway (where there's more room). On the tee, the player is left with the choice to either play a long iron to a spot on the left side of the fairway roughly 180 yards away, or try to carry the hazard with a driver. My confidence in my game isn't high enough to do well on this hole.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeTaylor

My home course features the most cruel, evil hole ever to be played by man.

It is the 11th hole, Par 4 386y, slight dogleg right. First of all on the tee box you have low hanging pines on the right, so a draw is impossible to play because you would be forced to start the ball there. There is a small lake on the left and large fairway bunkers just beyond it. The right side is nothing but a huge lake that snakes along the entire hole up to the dome shaped green, which is guarded by deep bunkers on both sides and has a steep false front. The fairway is rounded, so anything not within the core 10 yards will feed off into the water. About 260 yards out (which just so happens to be my landing area for drives) the already narrow fairway bottlenecks until it is impossibly thin, and right there is what we call "the funnel" which is a severely sloped bowl that is invisible from the teebox that will suck seemingly perfect drives into the water (and you don't know it went in until you get there).

Here's what happens:

-I snap hook my drive into the the lake left

-I over-draw my drive into the bunkers left

-I push my drive straight onto the low hanging pines

-I slice my drive into the lake right

-I flush one right up the fairway only to find out that it "funneled" into the lake

The approach goes:

-Take a drop after any of the aforementioned scenarios only to put it back in the water

-I put it in one of the hard packed wet bunkers near the green

-I actually hit the green, only to putt it back off the green thanks to unfairly cut hole locations on the retardedly steep slope

The score:

-Never birdied

-Parred less than ten times

-Bogey is a good score

-Double probably most common

-Triple happens relatively often

-Quad is always a possibility

-Double digit score is recorded every so often

-Made a 14 on it once

Have you ever tried hitting a hybrid out there about 220-230.  Since it is shorter you say (386) this would mean that you would have about a 6 iron or so into the green.  This way you stay out of trouble and have a nice fairway to hit off of.
With you being a 9 HC I don't think this would be a hrad shot for you and it would be a much higher % of one.

I didn't see you write anything that the green was tough so if you just get it on the green you have a 2-putt for par and you get by with a good score.

If you have tried this sorry, if not try it and let me know how it goes for you.

Number 18 is about a 415 yard dogleg left.  There are trees guarding the dogleg and a dry creek lateral hazard on the right.  You either have to lay up, which makes reaching the green very dicey on your second, or bite off a piece of the dogleg - and still risk running across the fairway into the lateral.  THEN, you have a semi-blind uphill approach shot to a green that is deceptively situated as there are about 30 yards between where the uphill ends and the green begins and there is a sand trap right there that makes you think the green is closer than it is.  The green is long and narrow and has 2 tiers.  If you are on the wrong tier you have an excellent chance of 3-putting.  Oh, and did I mention that in my area by the time you get to 18 the winds are usually in the 15-25 mph area?

And since it is number 18, if you screw it up you have no chance to get any of those strokes back.  I have had more nice rounds ruined by that hole than I care to remember.  On the rare occasions that I par it I have a smile on my face for the rest of the day.  I'd say my relationship to the hole is love-hate.  It is a great hole but it usually beats me. For a while they reversed the nines and this became #9, which I didn't mind so much as I still had a chance to shoot an excellent back 9 to salvage my round, if I blew up on this hole.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

God I have one bad nemesis hole

par 3, 3rd hole beaver Dam golf course....now, the course is EASY except for this hole, this is one of the hardest holes I have ever played.

190 yards up hill maybe 30 feet to a TINY green that is angled all downhill towards you.

So you're shitting 200+ over a gulley with a pond, OB left and right into marshland into a sloped tiny green...surrounding the green....BUSH....so hit the green or hopefully get a lucky lie in the gulley below

Yeah..I am happy with a 5

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

423 yds, elevated tee, sharp dogleg right, VERY narrow landing area with water right, OB left. Missing the fairway will not do. I play short of the corner where there is more room in the fairway, get over the corner with a 7-iron, pitch on, take my two putts, and walk off happy.

The only times I get a par on this hole is when my pitch lands tight.

This is one of my Let the Wookie Win holes.

My home course features some replica holes incliuding the 18th at Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill. Par 4 437 yard dogleg right with a narrow green proctected by water. I have never parred this hole. The approach is usually a 5 to 8 iron  and demands a great shot as the green slopes are severe. Hole_18_Lake.jpg

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

• 8 years later...

Everyone on this forum probably knows that the term "albatross" is another name for double eagle. However, what I'm referring to here is the golf hole, maybe on your home course which has become your albatross. As in the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner style albatross. A hole which you've goofed up so many times now it's in your head. You can also talk about how you finally concurred it, or how you hope to one day concur it. 

Basically this thread is an opportunity for you to talk about the golf hole that gives you the most trouble. 

"The word albatross is sometimes used metaphorically to mean a psychological burden that feels like a curse. It is an allusion to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798). ... The albatross is then literally hung around the mariner's neck by the crew to symbolize his guilt in killing the bird."

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The 15th hole at Bethpage black. Ive been playing that course for 20 years and ive never birded it. The only one i havent. I never hit a good iron shot into that green. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

There’s a downhill 175 yard par 3 at my league course that should be easy, but I mess it up most of the time. There’s water on the left and traps short. It just psychs me out for some reason.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!