• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Added #12 to the composite page. I tried to cut the corner of the dogleg left, but caught the lip of the bunker, which slowed the ball down and left it on the downslope past the bunker, so I had a really low shot that bounced on and settled about 6 feet from the pin and then made the putt. I nearly also added #15, a 175yd par 3, the ball was tracking the flag but came up 15 feet short, and the putt came up 4 inches short.  I only need #14 and #15 on the composite sheet: the home course is another story (still 10 holes needed).
    • Played my first 18 holes since late 2014 today.  I shot a 106 (66.2 / 117), which I was really surprised by.  I actually shot better on the back 9, which is the opposite of what I used to do.  I used to play 9 holes almost exclusively and stretching it to 18 seemed to just fatigue me and it showed on the scorecard.  My son (12) and I had a great time.  I scored 2 pars, should of had another 1-2.  There were so many stupid strokes on the card.  6 penalties, 2 3-putts, 2 times I took 2 strokes in the same bunker, on top of your normal duff/skull from a weekend warrior.  It makes me feel really good, because through all of that it felt like I was on track for 120, not 106.  It tells me I'm not that far away from the mid 90s again.  When I played a lot (2-3 9s a week about 6-8 years ago) I'd normally shoot between 42 and 45 like clockwork.  Granted this new course is slightly tougher with tighter fairways, I feel like I'll be back to a place where I'm shooting respectable scores. Where I'm struggling most, like I was in 2012-2014, is distance.  I simply don't hit the ball that far.  It makes playing even somewhat forward tees (3rd set from the back) really tough.  I tracked a few of my better drives (3w, I have no control over the 1w) and on a great shot I was only getting 200-210 out of it.  My 5i is about 155 and my 7i is about 135.  A 375 yard par 4 is common and nearly impossible for me to reach in 2.  If I actually wanted to go for it, I'd need to pull a 4h for my second shot.  That's just not good for me, so I'll hit 3w, AW, AW, to give me an opportunity for a 1-putt par or more likely a 2-putt bogey.  A 350 yard par 4 will at least let me go 3w, 5i.  So yes, I'm dealing with that.  I need to figure out where to get 10 yards throughout the bag, or learn how to hit a 1w with some confidence.  I'm sure newer technology would help, but my clubs (Taylormade Burner 2.0) aren't that old.  I have noticed that newer sets have a 7i loft where my 5i is.  That makes me wonder, is it as hard to hit that new 5i as it is for me to hit my current 3i (as they'd have the same loft)?
    • Here are the rules: https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html#!ruletype=er&section=rule&partnum=6&rulenum=8  
    • Good read. I've never thought about utilizing a reverse K setup for anything other than the driver. I'd imagine the magnitude of the hip shift forward is quite a bit less when applied to the iron setup versus the driver.  What do you think about the idea of simultaneously adopting this slight setup change while beginning to work on adding some "flow" in an attempt to minimize the obvious pitfall of making the sway much too pronounced?
    • I play in a league which has people who play from the "regular" tees and then some who are over 60 who play from the "senior" tees.   With the way the World Handicap System is today, you just use whatever handicap they have from whichever set of tees they are playing. That way we don't discourage anyone who wants to play from playing.    
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bitbybit
      bitbybit
      (26 years old)
    2. dash1988
      dash1988
      (32 years old)
    3. Flightchecker
      Flightchecker
      (60 years old)
    4. IowaGreg
      IowaGreg
      (60 years old)
    5. Mollie Grant
      Mollie Grant
      (30 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...