IGNORED

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Thread

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey man, lay off kenny g. i dig the sax.

I'll give him this, he's better than a scratch golfer when it comes to playing the sax.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

since we are on this line of thought...I have always wondered how hndcps and indexs relate to different courses....for instance I'm and 8...i play 6500 yard courses usually rated 69 or 70 with slopes around 120...If I shoot an 78at home then I play a tour course with a 74 rating and a 135 slope w/ stimp greens @ 12...along with a pro with a +5 what the hell should we expect as a result and is 13 shots fair? I'm thinkin I would get my ass kicked but I'm interested in the how tranferable indexs or hndcps are btw our home tracks and a tour course?

Find a HC/index calculator and you plug in your index to a course slope and it gives you the HC for the course. I just looked at GHIN site, an 8 index on a slope of 120 plays to an 8, an 8 index on slope of 135 plays to 10. here is the thing though on a 135 slope a +5 plays to a +6…so you would be getting 1 shot on 16 holes. so you would get 3 extra holes on the harder course.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Find a HC/index calculator and you plug in your index to a course slope and it gives you the HC for the course. I just looked at GHIN site, an 8 index on a slope of 120 plays to an 8, an 8 index on slope of 135 plays to 10. here is the thing though on a 135 slope a +5 plays to a +6…so you would be getting 1 shot on 16 holes. so you would get 3 extra holes on the harder course.

txs bro, never did that...I always wondered why my hdcp was the same as my index...LOL... I play ••••• courses! My league calculates the hndcps does the GHIN cost to join?

Don't know about others, but I am glad to see Monterey Peninsula return to the tour -- two good courses and a taste of history there. Depending on the wind, the Shore course plays a lot longer than the tips length of about 7000 yards. Number 14 (ocean par 3) is pretty spectacular and maybe tougher than its more famous Cypress rival.

RC

Duval looks good this afternoon. Just threw a dart on 16 and made the birdie putt. I'm pulling for him. I'm sure many others are, too. BTW, am I the only one who doesn't like this tournament? I don't care for the Hope, either. I can't stand to watch the amateurs. Besides, most of them are non-funny-nobody-celebrities.

Recently built a home theater around a HD tv. The vistas of this venue are
spectacular.

I hope Duval continues his great play.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Simple fact is a lot of these guys have vanity handicaps.

It's just ridiculous. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. I mean - In my competition today I played with a guy off 4 who had 73 off the bat and played pretty well. Another off 6 had 79 and had three double bogeys. Both players not particularly thrilled with their rounds. I come home and watch a bit of the Pebble Beach thing and here's someone called Chris Berman who "plays off 18". Now this fellow would not be able to play even close to a handicap of 36. There is no way he could break 100 on an easy course. Kenny G hits it Ok, but again - the commentators marvel when he hits a 9 iron onto the green. I know that you Americans have a different handicapping system which we are soon to adopt, but.......in my book, a 10 marker expects to be close to 80 and a 3 marker breaks par every once in a while and expects to play par golf. Someone off "10" posts that they played 5 holes in 4 over par in 4 hole "tryout" and then adds exclamation marks after their report. I can read between the lines of most players abilities just by what they type, but I can think of a lot of genuine 18 markers who would have for breakfast a lot of these celebrities who play off "8 or 9" (whatever that means). Seems to me that a lot of "scratch" markers break 80 once every couple of months. Very strange.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's just ridiculous. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. I mean - In my competition today I played with a guy off 4 who had 73 off the bat and played pretty well. Another off 6 had 79 and had three double bogeys. Both players not particularly thrilled with their rounds. I come home and watch a bit of the Pebble Beach thing and here's someone called Chris Berman who "plays off 18". Now this fellow would not be able to play even close to a handicap of 36. There is no way he could break 100 on an easy course. Kenny G hits it Ok, but again - the commentators marvel when he hits a 9 iron onto the green. I know that you Americans have a different handicapping system which we are soon to adopt, but.......in my book, a 10 marker expects to be close to 80 and a 3 marker breaks par every once in a while and expects to play par golf. Someone off "10" posts that they played 5 holes in 4 over par in 4 hole "tryout" and then adds exclamation marks after their report. I can read between the lines of most players abilities just by what they type, but I can think of a lot of genuine 18 markers who would have for breakfast a lot of these celebrities who play off "8 or 9" (whatever that means). Seems to me that a lot of "scratch" markers break 80 once every couple of months. Very strange.

Again, you're relating handicap to score. This just isn't the case. While some of them are certainly not as good as their handicap would say, a 10 handicap does not average 82. A 10 handicap's lowest 50% of scores average out to 82 on a course with a rating/slope of 72.0/113. Pebble Beach's middle tees are rated 72.3/137. If your lowest 50% of scores averaged at 82 on Pebble Beach, you'd be a 7.6 handicap. That means that your average score on pebble beach could be 95, and you'd still be a 10 handicap.

But another thing a lot of people fail to grasp is just how difficult it is to play on the big stage, with the cameras, and fans. Imagine the fear of beaming a fan in the skull? Even major movie stars are not really used to playing golf on camera. Professional golfers are. Put yourself in the situation they are in, lightning fast greens, harsh rough, gallery, and you will earn an extra couple strokes pretty quickly.

Again, you're relating handicap to score. This just isn't the case. While some of them are certainly not as good as their handicap would say, a 10 handicap does not average 82.

I understand that, S.A.M.,but the point I'm trying to make is that this Berman character, and others like him are incapable of hitting any type of shot in a way which would make you think they had been playing for more than two weeks. Good on them for playing, I wish I was there etc etc., but the things I have seen are noithing to do with nerves or difficult greens or whatever. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny G regularly broke 80 on difficult courses which would have him at "scratch", but some of these other guys, it's laughable. That Berman character would not play off 18 if he played on the easiest course from the easiest tees, conceded every putt under 10 feet and gave himself 10 mulligans per round.

As for George Lopea and Bill Murray, their act is so old and predictable. Feigning anger, indifference and narcissism every time the camera is on them. Riveting stuff. Not.

I heard on the broadcast today that Kenny G is a scratch golfer. Kind of hard to believe from what I saw. Nice swing an all but I saw several wayward shots and his short game from around the greens looked weak. But playing on tv might have something to do with it too.

I wonder if it is a "home course" handicap. I have to think he has a country club he spends most his time at. That is why I try to move around as much as possible. (though I have no reason to know for sure my statement is correct)

As a surfer I thought it was cool to see Kelly Slater (Tiger Woods of surfing) out there. He is a true athlete and not sure of his index but still pretty cool he is so into golf. (rumor has it there is HUGE swell coming in this weekend let's see if he sneaks off to hit Mavericks down the coast for some 30 foot bombs between rounds) David Duval...hard not to root for him! Might have found my new guy to back. I met him years ago at Rivera and was a nice laid back guy. Never figured out what happened to his game. (he said JOKINGLY at the practice range at Rivera it was inferior equipment (I think a barb back at Phil) back when Nike just hit the scene and his game was just hitting the skids) Glad to see to see him back in it! Would love to see him go on a tear this year!!!! I will root for him through the weekend! Chris Berman (ESPN).....gosh what a douche! Saw him hacking out of the bunker....the second being a walking hockey hack with his club (i assume they pick up after a double?) and then a hand wedge out. (ok I know there is some comedy that goes with this tourney "he is not funny" but I could see the pro in the background just looking at his feet) Then on another hole him walking ALL over EVERYBODY'S line right on and over the hole Man the course.....Pebble really is God's country! Beautiful. Look forward to some more great and fun golf!!!!

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

I understand that, S.A.M.,but the point I'm trying to make is that this Berman character, and others like him are incapable of hitting any type of shot in a way which would make you think they had been playing for more than two weeks. Good on them for playing, I wish I was there etc etc., but the things I have seen are noithing to do with nerves or difficult greens or whatever. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny G regularly broke 80 on difficult courses which would have him at "scratch", but some of these other guys, it's laughable. That Berman character would not play off 18 if he played on the easiest course from the easiest tees, conceded every putt under 10 feet and gave himself 10 mulligans per round.

Funny I made my Berman comments without seeing your post! LOL Geeze the guy is on TV every night....I doubt he is practicing or playing much golf. More reason for him to cover the ATT and not playing in it.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Oh, yeah, they're annoying. I've heard of maybe 1/2 of the so called "celebrities." The musicians are all pop idiots, no actual talent (again, Kenny G is a pretty consummate player, but I'm not really a fan). Most of them are the same "names" most laymen think are great, yet have never done much other than sing or play a little. These are faces, not talent, and yet totally famous.

The true living legends of music are the heavy lifters, like Patrick Leonard, David Foster, Steve Lukather, John Robinson, etc. But all of these people remain almost totally unknown. Instead, the pretty idiots who they write and play music for are famous. Patrick Leonard is almost totally unknown, but every idiot has heard of Madonna. Yet Leonard's own work, sans Madonna, is some of the most phenomenal music ever produced, and yet has never peaked higher than #156 on the charts. Gee, can you tell what I do for a living? Anyway, I assume this Berman character has some connection to football? He should probably stick with that. His swing is about as pretty as a pig with four butts.

Gee, can you tell what I do for a living?

In the biz. Good for you!.

Is Berman that football commentator who sometimes commentates for golf, and says things like "Oh MY!!!!!! and we're gonna play until we can't see no moar!" When it's getting dark? If it is, I really like his commentary. I know a lot of Sandtrappers don't, but the name rings a bell now!

Regarding Chris Berman walking on everybody's line:

I saw that, too, and wondered WTF? It's one thing to play the "hand wedge" and stuff like that but walking on other peoples lines, especially with his stature, could definitely have an effect on somebody's round. If I were a pro, playing for a million dollars, I would take out my own "hand wedge" and smack that idiot in the back of the head.

In the biz. Good for you!.

Yeah, he does the early rounds of the US Open.

As for today's round, Dustin Johnson is six under through seven. 59 potential? (Oh, and I have him on my fantasy team too -- looks like I'll have picked the winner for the third straight week! )

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Don't know about others, but I am glad to see Monterey Peninsula return to the tour -- two good courses and a taste of history there. Depending on the wind, the Shore course plays a lot longer than the tips length of about 7000 yards. Number 14 (ocean par 3) is pretty spectacular and maybe tougher than its more famous Cypress rival.

and Monterey is a par 70 which means it actually plays about 400 yards longer than a comparable par 72 course. Several friends of mine say they prefer MP to Pebble and it might even rival Cypress.

Note: This thread is 5182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!