IGNORED

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Thread

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And it feels like a typical 7400 yard course from the tips -- due to the lower par, the sea-level elevation, soft fairways, and especially with good winds. Personally, I like Monterey Peninsula Shore for a number of reasons, but the Dunes is also a great track. They are pretty insistent about not letting extraneous grass infringe on their greens and fairways. Your shoes get the airhose treatment before you walk onto the course -- just to be sure.

RC

I missed CBS' Saturday (yesterday) broadcast and am bummed that I missed the celebrity play and interviews. Does anyone offer a Saturday's-round replay online somewhere (cbs.com, youtube?), or on some DirecTV replay channel/time?

Pretty good tournament! Glad to see Duval in the hunt again. Close, but no cigar. Boy, I think the scenery was as pretty as I have ever seen there too.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Duval with a T2 at a US Open course, second year in a row. Maybe he is on his way to a serious comeback.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man, I really wanted to see a playoff!

Monza Featherweight Stand Bag
R11s with RIP Phenom Stiff
R11 3 Wood
R9 Irons 3-PW with KBS Tour Shafts
Vokey 52-4 Deg Spin Milled Wedge Vokey 56-11 Deg Spin Milled Wedge Vokey 60-4 Deg Spin Milled Wedge

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood Putter

Man, I really wanted to see a playoff!

Agreed. A JB, DD, DJ playoff would have been cool.

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

Glad to see that Duval is playing well again. Not sure if he will be playing consistent enough to be in the hunts regularly, but seems like he will at least show up once in awhile. Dustin Johnson struggled today, he plays better in easier conditions and the scoring conditions today weren't not as favorable as the past 3 days, and his struggles to make putts certainly didn't help. Anyway, he played well on the 18th hole and deserved to win. Goydos was in the hunt again, but just like a few times last season, he seemed to struggle on Sunday. Holmes had another good week, maybe he will be breaking out this season.

Shame about Duval and Holmes.Personally thought both of them deserved it more, Johnson was very ordinary today.Great bunker shot on the 18th though, so well done to him.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Hard to see on television just how crazy that 14th green is. From what they describe and what we witnessed it goes beyond hard to ridiculously unfair.

I played there about 8 years ago. The front of that green as it rises along side the bunker is extremely steep. The pin on Sunday was at the end of a nose that extends off the top lip of the bunker. It is a very difficult placement.

It is of course never unfair, the ball ends up where the player hits it. It's the same for everyone.
I like tough courses where it's not a birdie fest. Helps spice things up a bit and demand the players to stay focused.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It is of course never unfair, the ball ends up where the player hits it. It's the same for everyone.

True, everyone has to play that hole, but the landing area is so small that frankly

a lot of luck is involved in surviving that hole. I'm definitely not saying Dustin Johnson didn't deserve to win though. He's been playing great golf this season.

Constantine

The same way it is luck when you hit the ball close for a birdie or even in the hole.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The same way it is luck when you hit the ball close for a birdie or even in the hole.

Yea but if you miss that small landing area you're bringing an enormous number into play. Big difference.

Constantine

Everyone knows the pin and what the landing areas are. If you hit a perfect shot you are within 5 feet. If you miss you can bag a 9.

Or you can go all course management on the hole and hit the back left and 2 putt for par.

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

its not all luck at all, if youre in the position of bryce molder then yes you have to go at it and the risk/reward of going for it is huge, but if youre in the position of goydos then you play the percentages and knock it to the back of the green and 2-putt (especially after standing in the middle of the fairway watching somebody mess up the hole)

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I played Pebble last summer and found the 14th green to be simply diabolical. The pin was in almost the same spot, and I hit what felt like a perfect SW right at the pin. My caddy said "great shot" and handed me my SW, but when we reached the green we found my ball long and down the hill in the rough. Fortunately I escaped with only a bogi, but it was only luck. One of my playing partners suffered a similar fate to Goydos, taking a really big number when he thought he'd be putting for birdie.

TV doesn't show the severe contouring at all well. If you're on the green on the right front the flat-ish area on top is so high that you almost can't see the surface when you're standing down there - it seriously is a good 6+ feet in elevation difference, and the drop off starts very close to where the pin was. And missing to the left like Goydas puts you similarly a good 7-8 feet below the green surface, with a tiny little landing area. Unless you can pull off a Mickelson flop shot, anything hit from that spot will go too far and fall down the hill on the other side.

I remember walking to the 15th tee thinking the 14th green was the single most difficult green I've ever seen in all my years playing.

Note: This thread is 5181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!