IGNORED

How Do You Hit 170 Yards With 7 Iron?

Note: This thread is 1666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is K J Choi with Jack Nicklaus as MC demonstrating different flights and distances with a 7 iron. He "wants" to hit it anywhere from 140 to 175 yards. His 175 shot looked like it had some bounce and roll, and the 140 shot stopped dead after a small bounce. BTW, I am sure he (or any other tour pro) could hit it further.

Yup. That's why I specifically said a "full, stock" shot......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jamie Sadlowski hits his 7 iron 240. That's, amazing.  Someone who hits it 200 is pretty darn amazing too. 170 isn't raise your eyebrows, crazy long.

My 7I loft is 36 degrees. Some sets, it's 30.5 degrees. Nowadays, with iron lofts all over the place, the question should be how long do you hit your X degree iron that's Y inches long.

My iron set specifications: 7I - 36 degrees, shaft length - 36.75 inches. See http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/DCI-962.aspx.

A current TM set: 7I - 30.5 degrees, 37 inches. See http://taylormadegolf.com/taylormade/rocketballz-irons/DW-JN522.html

That's why when people ask me what club I hit, I say my X number of yards club rather than 7.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yup. That's why I specifically said a "full, stock" shot......

Yup, I caught that. :-) 7i seems to be a pretty versatile club.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The other question is are we talking 170 yards carry or total?

Carry.  It eliminates a few variables.

However, I think on Big Break last night there was a 185 yard challenge and one of the players (male pro) said something like it's pretty much my 'stock' 7i.  He landed well short...... ; )

but maybe he was trying to land short and roll out to 185.

It wasn't a 185 yard challenge, it was 160 yards.  I remember specifically because Tim Brown said something about allowing Will to hit that shot because "that 160 yard challenge is a beast !"  I thought to myself, a 160 yard shot from a perfect lie into a huge green is a "beast"?  Don't think so.

Plus, keep in mind that for Big Break, the producers of the show often pick holes that are downhill+prevailing wind for driving challenges.  2-3 weeks ago when they had a challenge with a driving component, I looked at the brush/bushes behind the players and you could see they had at least a 15-20mph wind behind them, and from the tee you could see the fairway was slightly below the tee box.  Didn't surprise me to see the big guy put it out there 346 on a perfect strike, especially since it took a firm hop.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm at the beginning so I'm thinking hitting the 7i consistently 155 is more important than longer.  When swing harder it goes higher but not much farther.  Maybe 165.  Interested in comments about delofting

• 2 weeks later...

you hit a 170 yard 7 iron by any 1 or more of the following:

1) contact in the middle or near-middle of the clubface

2) proper shoulder turn and body rotation around your spine axis in the backswing, including wrist hinge/set
3) proper rotation of the lower body to get out of the way of your upper body coming through the hitting area

4) proper release of the club on a slightly in to out path with a moderate angle of attack
5) depending on how efficient and 'quick' you do 1-4, along with variables such as wind/elevation/temperature...

you too can hit a 170y 7i

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

you hit a 170 yard 7 iron by any 1 or more of the following:

1) contact in the middle or near-middle of the clubface

2) proper shoulder turn and body rotation around your spine axis in the backswing, including wrist hinge/set

3) proper rotation of the lower body to get out of the way of your upper body coming through the hitting area

4) proper release of the club on a slightly in to out path with a moderate angle of attack

5) depending on how efficient and 'quick' you do 1-4, along with variables such as wind/elevation/temperature...

you too can hit a 170y 7i

and all those things will shorten his 7i down to 170?

Bill - 

and all those things will shorten his 7i down to 170?

Who's ? I don't understand what you're asking...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

How do you hit 170 yards with 7 iron? Can you swing that fast with an iron?

Because it is a 5 iron!!!

See Tom Wishon's book "The New Search For The Perfect Golf Club" and you'll see that the loft of irons has been steadily reduced by the manufacturers over the last few years, to persuade us all that their clubs are best!!!  As a result, we need hybrids at one end of the set, and gap wedges at the other!!   It's crazy.....

Because it is a 5 iron!!!

See Tom Wishon's book "The New Search For The Perfect Golf Club" and you'll see that the loft of irons has been steadily reduced by the manufacturers over the last few years, to persuade us all that their clubs are best!!!  As a result, we need hybrids at one end of the set, and gap wedges at the other!!   It's crazy.....

I mentioned this in my post above and posted links which included the following:

My Titleist irons from the 90s:

A recent TM set:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I've said it many many times. There's more to determining launch conditions than reading loft.

I could build two sets of irons that have identical loft which launch the ball 5° differently given the same exact swing.

Have lofts gotten stronger? Yes.

But has the CG in many clubs, particularly CBs, been moved down lower as well, resulting in a HIGHER ball launch at the same dynamic or delivered loft? YES. (And a small reduction in "backspin," too.)

The Titleist CBs and MBs could be mixed at any club in the set and yet one was 2 to 3° stronger than the other… but launched the ball at the same trajectory. And they weren't even super-GI CBs with really, really low CoGs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No wonder nobody wants to carry anything less than a 4 or 5 iron, they are the equivalence  of a 2 and 3 iron 20 years ago, I have a Wilson staff set from 1990 that comes with a 2 iron, I ought to check it out, and then set it next to my set of Adams.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I've said it many many times. There's more to determining launch conditions than reading loft.

I could build two sets of irons that have identical loft which launch the ball 5° differently given the same exact swing.

Have lofts gotten stronger? Yes.

But has the CG in many clubs, particularly CBs, been moved down lower as well, resulting in a HIGHER ball launch at the same dynamic or delivered loft? YES. (And a small reduction in "backspin," too.)

The Titleist CBs and MBs could be mixed at any club in the set and yet one was 2 to 3° stronger than the other… but launched the ball at the same trajectory. And they weren't even super-GI CBs with really, really low CoGs.

Ah, I see, I don't spend a lot of time in the equipment forums. What about shaft length? There are differences of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the charts above.

Steve

• 3 months later...
Are you kidding me? Contacting the ground before you hit the ball KILLS clubhead speed. A sure sign of a hack! Absolutely NOBODY on tour does this. Actually there is some very interesting data/photographic evidence that after contact with the ball, an iron is deflected down almost 11* creating the resulting divot. This is with an angle of attack of Zero Degrees into the ball. Don't believe me? See it for yourself at http://www.tutelman.com/golf . By the way, you should spend some time on David Tutleman's website in an effort to erase some serious misconceptions I think you might gave about the Physics of Golf. Happy re-educating!

Who are you talking to? Looking back a ways in the thread the only person I saw that referenced hitting the turf before the ball was @Bananarama and he was making the joke that most of us would have to add club head speed to make up for our horrible ball striking and taking up two feet of turf before the ball.

• Administrator

Who are you talking to?

I second this question… :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!