IGNORED

14 club rule

Fastrack
Note: This thread is 5179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're not only golfaholic but U have a gambling problem as well

I would have to plead guilty to this, I prefer the term issue...it sounds better then problem!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Lefty-Golfer on this one. I always like to play for something either a drink, lunch, or $$. It makes it more fun that way.

That is pretty large game, I have played a few times getting close to that but it certainly changes your out look on the term risk reward!!! Even I with my confessed gambling "issue" wouldn't be in a hurry to pay that high all of the time. A $10.00 Nassu with automatics is nice, even 20 is ok!! but 40.00 that will get your blood pumping when you get 6 or 8 of those stacked up and have 5 footer to win!! The more i think about it I'm in it sounds like fun!!!!

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

If it isnt a sanctioned tournament or something, i could care less how many clubs another player has in his bag. Ive seen a dude break 80 with nothing than a 5 iron and a putter, so much does the number of clubs a player has really mean anyway?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I bought a new Ogio bag last week specifically because it has 15 individual full length club spots plus a putting tube, 16 clubs which is what I carry. If pushed I would leave either the 5 wood or 3 rescue out and the other decision would be between my 6 iron and my six rescue. I enjoy the full bag though and wish it has two putter tubes. I am having fun.

I can't imagine why anyone would make tube bag that allows a player to carry more than 14 clubs.... that seems very odd to me. My cart bag has 14 slots plus a putter well... the extra slot one is where I carry my retriever.

My question to those like FHopper: Why not just learn to play the game correctly? With a little bit of thought you could play all of the shots needed with a legal bag. By the way.... I'm having fun too. That's no excuse.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't imagine why anyone would make tube bag that allows a player to carry more than 14 clubs

Really? You've never carried a few extra clubs clubs to the range or during a practice round?
who doesn't play for money?

You can add my name to the apparently short list of players who don't think gambling adds to the game.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Really? You've never carried a few extra clubs clubs to the range or during a practice round?

Nope. Since I only carry 13 clubs in my full bag right now, and often knock that down to only 12, it isn't an issue on the course. I really never play that sort of a "practice" round anyway. Even when I play a "practice" round, I still play by the rules. I prefer to call such outings "rehearsal" rounds, so they are played like any other round except that I may try a shot here and there to experiment with things... but I still take the result of the shot and play from there.

When going to the range I never carry my full bag. I'm usually there for a specific purpose, so I normally only take 1-3 clubs with me. I'm somewhat of a Harvey Penick devotee, and he advised doing most swing practice with just a 7I. My usual practice sessions involve working on swing path, and for that I only need one club.

Rick

Nope. Since I only carry 13 clubs in my full bag right now, and often knock that down to only 12, it isn't an issue on the course. I really never play that sort of a "practice" round anyway. Even when I play a "practice" round, I still play by the rules. I prefer to call such outings "rehearsal" rounds, so they are played like any other round except that I may try a shot here and there to experiment with things... but I still take the result of the shot and play from there.

I guess this is more likely for me since I'm constantly switching between woods, wedges, and iron sets (stuff I already own) - constantly tinkering to see which wedge/iron/wood combo is best matched - this is also probably an indoor golf phenomenon. The wedge and long iron yardages vary from screen to screen. Once I practice for ~ 10 minutes, I typically pull a few clubs out and leave them aside.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm carrying 15 clubs right now.............

Because I'm trying to gauge how I want my bag setup. I have a 5 wood and a 4 hybrid, I hit both the same distance so I'm trying to decide which one I'm more accurate with.

I also carry a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges in the bag right now, and hardly ever use the 60, I'm just not accurate with it enough at this point, but there's times I really should use it, so during practice rounds, I do.

When it comes time to where money is on the line this spring, I'll make a choice and leave one of those 3 clubs in the car, depending on the course I'm playing, and which one I think I'd be best giving up.

The number of clubs was an arbitrary and capricious decision made by people who did not ask me. There are two worlds of golf, the game and the contest, in the contest everyone needs to have a level field and the number 14 is as good as any so everyone should follow that. In the game that the millions of us enjoy, the millions that pay the tab for the industry, we are still in amazement when a club actually does what it is supposed to do, and enjoy seeing shots from any club. I wonder about the difference between a 5 wood and a 3 rescue, I wonder about the difference between a 6 iron and a six rescue, I wonder which does what job better, and play them to hopefully see. The only tourneys people like me ever play are best balls where the winners are usually lairs with ringers anyway. I respect the traditions that have grown out of the history of golf tremendously but do not kid my self that anything matters for my game other than having enough fun to get excited about the next chance to play. Honestly I think I am golf, not the posers who worry about the ten least understood rules of golf when they have never had a sponsor or supported their families with sanctioned winnings.

As for gambling, there are two types of gamblers, predators and delusional victims. I am of course discounting friendly games with buds for $5 and lunch, that is not gambling, just noogies, you might as well be playing slug bug in the back of your mom's car.

It is inconceivable to me that anyone is having more fun at golf than me, I just hope everyone is having as much fun as I am... let's go play.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

The number of clubs was an arbitrary and capricious decision made by people who did not ask me. There are two worlds of golf, the game and the contest, in the contest everyone needs to have a level field and the number 14 is as good as any so everyone should follow that. In the game that the millions of us enjoy, the millions that pay the tab for the industry, we are still in amazement when a club actually does what it is supposed to do, and enjoy seeing shots from any club. I wonder about the difference between a 5 wood and a 3 rescue, I wonder about the difference between a 6 iron and a six rescue, I wonder which does what job better, and play them to hopefully see. The only tourneys people like me ever play are best balls where the winners are usually lairs with ringers anyway. I respect the traditions that have grown out of the history of golf tremendously but do not kid my self that anything matters for my game other than having enough fun to get excited about the next chance to play. Honestly I think I am golf, not the posers who worry about the ten least understood rules of golf when they have never had a sponsor or supported their families with sanctioned winnings.

This true, false and funny...all in all i liked it!

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I strongly disagree. If you don't play by those "ten least understood rules of golf" as well as the the rest of the rules, then you aren't really playing golf. Sorry, but any game has rules, and to legitimately play that game, you play it by its rules. Golf is no different. You may be out on a golf course with golf clubs knocking a golf ball around, but if you don't play by the rules then it can't possibly be golf.

To call me a poser because I happen to feel that golf is more fun when played by the rules is ludicrous. I don't really know or play with anyone who doesn't play by the rules. They are no less out for fun that you appear to be, but fun to them means playing the game as it's meant to be played... with the right number of clubs, no fluffed lies, calling all penalties, etc. So how does that fit in your world view? Have you ever actually tried to play by the rules? If not, how would you even know?

Rick

Rick I have have no doubt you and I could play a round and have a great time, I would not piss you off and you would not piss me off and we would both play our usual game. I see rules in levels because of the reality of my golf experience.
Level one is courtesy, to the course, to others and to the golf Gods. (Throw a club even once and you are persona non grata.)
Level two is appropriate rules, know when it is your shot, know when it is the other guy's shot, know where and how to wait and do your share to replace divots, pins, rake the sand and keep the cart where it belongs.
Level three, take a stroke when you are supposed to, the number on the card should be the right number. (This covers penalties, duffs, and playing the first ball even if you hit a second one to try and learn the shot.)
Level four is minutiae I do not worry about, (I do not care how you take a drop, do what you think you should do, I will never challenge you), and other such issues that could only affect the round if our children's lives were at stake.
I understand level four people and have respect for them, unless they try to impose their world view on me.
Oh crap time to go, we folk on the dole never work past quitting time!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Rick I have have no doubt you and I could play a round and have a great time, I would not piss you off and you would not piss me off and we would both play our usual game. I see rules in levels because of the reality of my golf experience.

Fair enough. I too don't really care if you play a game by your rules. What always gets my goat is when someone intimates that it can't be fun to play by the proper rules. I find just the opposite to be true. I don't enjoy playing any other way. I consider it a waste of time and money to play a round which has no meaning, and it can only have meaning to me when played by consistent rules that give me a yardstick to measure the results by. I can go out and enjoy the day for itself, and still have a higher purpose than just being out in the sun.

Rick

I carry only 13 clubs, with two 56* sand wedges; one a blade style for bunker shots, chipping and flopping, the other a caivty back large head one for full shots.
I played one time with a guy who had so many clubs it wasn't funny anymore. I counted 17 and then lost count. He had a driver, 3 fairway woods, 3 hybrids, 4 wedges, a putter, a chipper, and the rest of his irons. His bag was too crowded it was really stupid. I don't care though, none of my business.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I recall reading once that some pros had more than 30 clubs in their bags before the 14 club rule was instituted. It was that sort of extreme behavior that spurred the RB's to create a maximum limit.

Rick

If anything I think a large number of golfers would be better served not using all 14 clubs. I know I would. This season I plan to take some clubs out of my bag, I'm just not good enough for some of the clubs to make a difference and all it does is get me in trouble overthinking which club to use.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Note: This thread is 5179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!