IGNORED

14 club rule

Fastrack
Note: This thread is 5181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing golf for a little over 18 years now and I can't remember a single instance where I EVER counted someone's clubs. In most tournaments I've entered, that's done by the tournament starter and in all the other rounds... I just don't care.

Not that it matters but I thought in the rule book your only allowed to have one driver?

In my 's bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5, Fujikara Red R Flex shaft, and Winn PCI grip
3w, 5w: HiBore XLS Fujikara Gold R Flexshaft, and Winn PCI grips
Irons: Viper HT heads, True Temper XL Lite shafts, and Winn PCI grips
Putter: XG #9 35"Ball: TP II

let's see D,3w,2h,3h,4h,5i-pw,52*w,58*w,putter; that's 14.
I really don't care as long as everybody has a good time.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

Not that it matters but I thought in the rule book your only allowed to have one driver?

I don't think that's in the rule book, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Phil Mickelson played two drivers at Augusta a few years back (2006) and won with them in the bag. I haven't played any tournament rounds with both in the bag, but... I'll have to look it up to make sure it isn't a rule.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah same here I only care if it ina tournament. Im pretty sure pros carry more than the 14 club limit in practice rounds to see what club they will use more like either 3iron or the 3 hybrid depending on the course. So not a big deal.

In my Bag
Driver-Taylormade R11 TP Fujikura Blur Stiff 65g shaft
3Wood- Titleist 906 f4
Hybrid- Adams  Idea Pro A12 18degree
Irons- Titleist 712 mbs 3-Pw

Wedges Clevland CG 12 52 56, CG 15 60

Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

Years ago, Lee Trevino was featured in a Golf Digest (?) article about the Masters. He explained why he carried two drivers during the tournament, one of which had a hook face. He was a fader, and found hook face useful on certain Augusta holes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

How do you define a driver? I have a 1987 TM Tour driver which has a smaller clubhead than my 4 wood. That doesn't make it not a driver. I sometimes hit my current driver off the deck... that doesn't make it a FW wood.

The answer is.... you can carry as many drivers as you like, not to exceed the total of 14 clubs. I used to carry an 8.5° and a 9.5° driver. The 9.5° was my fairway wood at the time. Phil Mickelson carried 2 drivers in a Tour tournament last season.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My understanding is that you only need carry no more than 14 legal clubs. I think you can carry 14 putters if you want to.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Any sort of tournament or match and I will call it on them.

Agreed... playing with more is NOT golf... it is whacking around a ball for FUN. I don't really care if you are not playing me for money or otherwise, but anyone who does it for anything other than a practice round in which you are trying things out (maybe for a tournament or something), is a clown. To me it would be like some teeing thier ball up on each shot or kicking thier ball out from behind every tree... it is illegal and if you do it you are not a golfer.

Nope.

Years ago, Lee Trevino was featured in a Golf Digest (?) article about the Masters. He explained why he carried two drivers during the tournament, one of which had a hook face. He was a fader, and found hook face useful on certain Augusta holes.

yeah some chubby guy, Phil something or another had some success with such a strategy.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I only carry 12 clubs, I dont think 15 clubs would even fit in my bag. I have a hard enough time trying to hit that many, adding more clubs would just make it harder

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

The one thing in the thread i am shocked by is the comment "if we are playing for $". I have seen it many times and i can't help but ask who doesn't play for money? I mean a dinner, lunch, beer, cash whatever I am not sure i have ever played a round without a bet. Just sayin.

oh and for the topic, you can carry whatever you damn well please, it makes no difference to me. I have never counted or thought of counting. I personall carry 13 right now but that is due to my gap wedge breaking...over my knee. Bad gap wedge!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The one thing in the thread i am shocked by is the comment "if we are playing for $". I have seen it many times and i can't help but ask who doesn't play for money? I mean a dinner, lunch, beer, cash whatever I am not sure i have ever played a round without a bet. Just sayin.

You're not only golfaholic but U have a gambling problem as well

I have never played for money and propably never will. However, with a sort of regular friend we used to play for a beer but that's it. Too much in stake makes me lose the joy from my game and I want to enjoy myself on the course.

Like most others, it doesn't bother me one bit. I have a friend who almost as a joke carried almost 20 clubs at times. Mostly it is extra drivers and woods that he doesn't use, but they were in the bag. Someone got him a Bag Boy Revolver for his birthday last year, which only has 14 slots, so he had to trim back.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Having more than 14 clubs is absolutely no big deal unless you are playing in a tournament.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Having more than 14 clubs is absolutely no big deal unless you are playing in a tournament.

I agree, what makes me laugh is that a lot of the old guys my dad golfs with carry more than 14 clubs, which is fine by me. But if you go play a round with them they never touch half of the clubs. It's like they have accumlated all these clubs and they are going to put them in their bag, rather they play them or not.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

You're not only golfaholic but U have a gambling problem as well

I am with Lefty-Golfer on this one. I always like to play for something either a drink, lunch, or $$. It makes it more fun that way. The most I played for was $220 per person. Each puts in $220 and whoever wins the skin takes $40 per hole. The left over is for the closest to the pin on par-3's. Whatever is left over gets divided equally at the end or used for buying lunch/drinks.

As for the 14 club rule, I have never counted another players clubs. Frankly, I don't think it helps them that much anyway. Now if I noticed that someone's bag was full of clubs, then I might count them. But that never happened.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I bought a new Ogio bag last week specifically because it has 15 individual full length club spots plus a putting tube, 16 clubs which is what I carry. If pushed I would leave either the 5 wood or 3 rescue out and the other decision would be between my 6 iron and my six rescue. I enjoy the full bag though and wish it has two putter tubes. I am having fun.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Note: This thread is 5181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!