IGNORED

Picking your favorite golfers - how and why

USA 79S
Note: This thread is 5036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like a few newcomers......Nick Watney and Rory Mcilroy are a few of my favs........

What's in my Stand Bag.....
Driver: 909 D2 8.5 Graphite Design YS-6
3-Wood: 904 F 15 Rifle Shaft
Irons: 2-PW 690 MB Blades
Wedges:Spin Milled 54 & 58 degreePutter: TeI3 Newport LongneckBalls: Pro-V1xFavorite Golfer: Nick Watney

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Mickelson. He's a touchy subject with people these days. He's edgy. He takes risks. I like that. Plus we both play very very similarly in the regard that we both have a fairly decent short game, inventive in our shots, and can get out of trouble quite easily. I love his attitude on the course, and how he handles his family matters as well.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Tiger Woods for the obvious reasons. Total domination

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Daly. Simply because I can relate to his struggles. He seems to have a big heart. And the past couple weeks its been exciting even to see him finish in same place that bigger more prominent names are finishing in. He seems to be moving forward for the time being...

From the last generation, Greg Norman. Not sure why he is one of my favorites.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my very favorites are from half a century or more ago.

ben hogan - obviously for his nearly flawless ball striking, and also for his dedication to practice and preparation.
sam snead - most aesthetically pleasing swing the game's ever had, i think, and such a down home folksy personality.
arnold palmer - most aesthetically displeasing swing the game's ever had, haha, but i still love watching old tapes of him pounding balls into oblivion, and also for always being so good to the fans

of the modern players, paddy is probably at the top of my list. great player and seems like a real down to earth guy.

1) Arnold Palmer - I love how he invigorated the game and created excitement for golf that was felt by the "everyman", even those that didn't golf. On course he was trying to win, not simply to keep his card. And off course he stayed grounded and approachable. I met him once at a Golf Channel reception and spent about 45 minutes chatting with him, and he gives you the feeling that he's more delighted to meet you that you are to meet him. He's played with presidents and kings, and he's sitting there sincerely asking me about my game and family. What an amazing person.

2) Jack Nicklaus - I loved how he took the concept of competition to another level, elevating the whole game for everyone. He always was classy in competition, and then after his playing career ended he has been a tireless ambassador for the game. Probably tougher mentally than anyone who's ever played the game, but always appears in control of himself. I admire that. (unlike my #3 below)

3) Tiger Woods - He took what Nicklaus did (mental approach) and added the obsessive focus of a top athlete, changing the game for everyone just like Jack did. Tiger ushered in a whole new era of golfer, bringing in athletic training to the game. I played with him once when he was a kid and thought that he had all the maturity of a well-seasoned adult, but I feel he's actually acting less mature and responsible now that he seemed at 16, so he's slipping down my list. But I can't think of anyone I'd rather watch on a golf course.

4) Tom Watson - His record is outstanding, and what he did last year at Turnberry is still beyond belief. But what I really love about Tom is his tremendous appreciation for the history and majesty of the game. There isn't anyone in golf that respects the game more, and for that alone he has always been one of my favorites.

5) Freddy Couples - While Jack and Tiger brought a fierce competitiveness to the game, Freddy brought us this effortless grace and devil-may-care attitude that makes us all deeply envious. I used to love watching him in person at Riviera, simply in awe of that swing. He often stayed down the street from where we used to live, and would always give a little smile and wave back when you passed him in the car. I just liked that he seemed a friendly, every day person who happened to have the silkiest swing in the world and always seemed a little embarrased by all the attention.

6) Rory McElroy - I have to add one of the "young guns", and I like McElroy's swing and demeanor. He's a fierce competitor and seems to have all the shots, and he seems fairly grounded as a young man (unlike AK) and not flashy (like Fowler).

When I look back on my list I realize that my favorites are largely influenced not just by their golf but by the person they are off course and in person, which is I suppose how most of us view it. Tiger, if your reading this please get it together off course as well - I really want you to make it to the top of my list!

I'm attracted to a pro's swing at first. But then I want to observe their behavior. How do they conduct themseves on the course? Do they play the game like a gentleman or a troll? Do they take their medicine when they get in trouble? Do they scowl at the gallery or do they smile? Do they hang their head or hold it high? By the same token, it's tough to get a read on a pro off the course because they are not on camera, for the most part. But one can read up on them in magazines and web sites and watch any on-camera interviews that may be out there. I especially like Tom Watson, Davis Love III and Phil Mickleson.

• 4 weeks later...
Padraig Harrington and Phil Mickelson are my fav's.

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

• 2 months later...
David Duval would be my favorite, I had the chance to meet him at Oakland hills for the 96 U.S. open and he was the nicest guy. I had a pass that I had asked him to sign and my marker did not work so he went back to the locker room and got another marker and signed it for me. He also spent about 20 minutes talking to me and that was something he did not have to do.

The late Payne Stewart, without a doubt. He epitomized all that was good about golf and had such a wonderful attitude. I don't usually get emotional over the deaths of famous people but I remember crying the day he died. Tiger Woods has the talent but I think he lacks humility and for that reason will never rate highly with me. I also like Jack Nicklaus and Justin Leonard because of their approach to the game, and Sam Snead because he was such a colorful character up until the day he passed away.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Tiger Woods - His work ethic
Camilo Villegas - His work ethic
Paddy Harrington - His work ethic

and then Rory. Rory is cool.

I like Natalie Gulbis - not sure how I picked her (I will think about it some more). I am glad she is doing well at the US Open. She should get plenty of tv time in the final round.

I do like Phil. I respect his game, his interviews, and how he acknowledges the fans. To me - a classy guy.

I must admit, I don't have many current favorites. I find myself rooting for a good story (i.e. Tom Watson at British Open, Goydos' 59 and Stricker 60 within hours of each other, Dustin Johnson going for another win at Pebble) or sudden death on Sundays.

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

I have a wide range of favorite golfers from Ernie to Ian Poulter to Anthony Kim. A lot of my favorite guys are the ones that use twitter haha
S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

I always enjoyed watching Ben Crenshaw putt. It was putter poetry!

Of the current players on tour I tend to gravitate to the most personable guys. Anthony Kim is probably my favorite but guys like Justin Rose, Boo Weekly, Bubba Watson & Paul Casey are all fun to follow.

On the LPGA I don't really have a favorite. I just like watching LPGA events because the participants are easy on the eyes!

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Tiger, Rory and Vijay

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 5036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!