IGNORED

Picking your favorite golfers - how and why

USA 79S
Note: This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like Ryan Moore

I like his attitude and the way he carries himself. If you are not familiar with him there has been a lot written about him in the last year because he had no sponsors and that was great commentator fodder. He is doing well on the tour. I like AK, the clips of him playing BB against the Globetrotters was so cool. There are tons of great and interesting players in the posts on this thread, Freddy is probably the coolest guy on the tour right now. And there are some very cool people on the Euro tour too. Just watch golf and you will find who intrigues you.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it some time, watch some more golf on TV and you will develop a like and dislike for certain players.
For starters, I typically root for golfers who are from the same place that I am. Thats why I root for guys like Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly (both of whom are from Wisconsin). Beyond that, I judge whether I like a golfer or not by their attitude on the course and what kind of a person they come across as in interviews.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

When I was a kid (maybe 14 years ago roughly) I remember reading an article about Phil Mickelson, this golfer on the rise that Arnold Palmer thought was going to be great. I really liked him and picked him as my favorite golfer, and I've followed him ever since (it's been a rollercoaster ride, let me tell you). I always find myself rooting for Tiger too because I appreciate his talent and greatness. Gotta love Daly too!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Billy Mayfair...go figure..my kid watched him cause he looked like a "big berry" (very red)...now 10 years later all he asks is "how's big berry doing?"

Phil of course. Why? Because it's like watching Olympic Figure Skating ... or Giant Slalom .... or Snowboarding .... or the Downhill. Years of preparation, a really close-fought competition at a major venue with everything to play for and .................................................................................... BANG! The wheels come off.

What's not to like about that?

[Only kidding. Go Phil!]

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Pretty new to golf, and finding it hard to establish what players to like and dislike. Not a whole lot of personality to sway my decisions, which leaves me feeling like the new guy on the bandwagon because the best players take all the commentary. So if I say I am a Steve Stricker or Dustin Johnson fan it's probably because they've taken 90% of the media coverage I might have caught during the last 3 weeks. Have to admit I love how tiger lays all that emotion out on the course, which to me means he really loves the game, and there's nothing better than seeing the triple arm pump oafter a 20 ft birdie putt.

Yeah take your time. Oh and unlike your favorite football team.....you are entitled to change when you feel the need.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

After the years I've spent in golf, I've found that I gravitate to the legends, Hogan in particularly. But I've still read about the others. Its nice to be able to read about how they made their way into golf. Grinding up from the dirt. As for modern day favorites. Ever changing and growing. I must say I do like the guys that have a similar build to me. Makes me realize that there are guys out there doing it. Gives me hope.

I like Paddy Harrington. His humble attitude and obvious enjoyment of golf coupled with his skill make it easy for me to root for him. He's always smiling and happy to be playing golf for millions of dollars, as if the realization keeps hitting him.

That's exactly why Padraig grew on me. He really does have that fun attitude about him.

1. Paul Lawrie British open champ in 199

I played with a young guy from Scotland in Asian Tour QSchool this year. Wallace Booth. He BOMBS the ball. Fun to watch. I think he got me by 1 stroke over the two days we played together.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I am a fan of Tiger Woods of course, but also AK, Sergio Garcia and Camilo Villegas. Adam Scott is a bamf too

FT-iQ 10* driver
FT-i Squareway 3 Wood
X-22's Irons
X Series JAWS Chrome 56*, 60*
Zinc Dual Sided Blade Putter HX Hot Bite X-22 Stand Bag

I'm kinda like a lot of the other posters, I like the guys from my hometown....so that would equal David Toms and Hal Sutton. I also like Anthony Kim too just because of his attitude.

My favorite golfer has been Ben Crenshaw. I grew up watching him and always loved the way he conducted himself, plus just a fantastic all around player. My favorite player on the PGA Tour is Zach Johnson. I love his character and his wedge play combined with putting skill is just amazing.

Paddy, Stricker, Camillo, Macilroy and O'hair are a few I like these days.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

mickelson should be on everyone's list here. not only does he have the talent but more importantly he has the personality. i love the way he goes for it, even when every fiber in his body is telling him not to do it. he plays for the excitement, not the cash. well, ok, everyone plays for the cash but you know what i mean. the game is first and the glory is second for phil. otherwise we would've seen him lay up a helluva lot more.
callaway.gif FT-i 9*
nike.gif CPR Hybrid 18*
titleist.gif 735cm 3-PW
nike.gif SV 56*, 60*
odyssey.gif White Hot #8 

My favorite is Steve Stricker. He is my age and University of Illinois Alum. I also really like Phil, he has a great personality and is very good with the fans. One person I would have really liked to see more of was Payne Stewart; he was one of my favorites while he was still with us.

I am Phil fan. I like the way he is with the fans. I respect Tiger for how well he can play but, I don't like his attitude. IMO Phil and Tiger are like the Arnold and Jack of the past. But Arnold, Jack and Phil are in a totally different league when it comes to respecting the game and it's fans.

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

i pick them based on how their clothes look/fit, their body type, and how they swing. yeah, im pretty superficial.

thus, davis love 3 with his perpetual wedgie from ill fitting khakis is out.

and tim herron. are you kidding me? seriously...

nice swings i like - hunter mahan, dustin johnson, AK, tiger, rory, sean ohair...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!