IGNORED

Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

jubess
Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not criticising him for trying to get his life back in order. I just think the "sex addiction" thing is a joke and a PR stunt. It is so much easier for him to claim sex addiction rather than just admitting that he had quite a wild past few years. Can you not see that it is an out for him? I feel that a lot of people play the addiction card because it allows them to say "I couldn't control what I was doing". It sort of shifts the blame off of them onto this addiction...........

I guess I could see it as an out if he were continuing on with life as though nothing happened. I don't know who would choose to spend weeks/months in secluded therapy away from the ones they love and the things they love for a PR stunt, but hey, that's just me.

I also didn't hear TW say that he could blame anything on an addiction. He seemed pretty intent on making the focus of blame himself and his actions. Once again, I'm not sure what you want from the guy. He did despicable things in his private life and now he's trying to change himself and make up for it.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how this "addiction" only appears to show up in individuals with fame, power, money, etc.........

You, sir, are a ••••ing moron. What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may Buddha [sic] have mercy on your soul.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

doctorfro: "Hi, Mark!!"

.... and Mark, when exactly did you start feeling the urge to hit a little ball as far as you possibly could?
hehehe

--------
Steve8820: I wouldn't get hung up on the "addiction" terminology. I hear what you're saying, but did you in fact get the sense from this session that Tiger was perhaps starting to take responsibility for his past behavior, i.e. NOT taking "the easy out"? I certainly did feel that he was doing so, i.e. that he was "manning up" (sorry for the sexist terminology) -b ut its a provisional conclusion and heck, it doesn't really matter what WE think in the end. It matters what his family and close friends/associates think.

I dislike the use of the word "addiction" myself in some ways - I think it can be addicting for one thing.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

The only thing I didn't like about his statement was the part about "I've worked so hard that I felt I was entitled to the temptations" I'm not saying the guy doesn't give golf his all and works hard on his game. However he needs to keep in mind that he plays golf for a living and by living I mean more in a year than most of us will make in a lifetime. I'm sure being a pro golfer is tough at times but I think I could enjoy it more than my job.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Golf is more than playing a tournament every now and then. Of course you cannot compare jobs like that, it doesn't matter anyways, it was how he felt.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

You, sir, are a ••••ing moron. What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may Buddha [sic] have mercy on your soul.

Wow, harsh comments there sir. Let's go through what was accomplished today:

1) Did he apologize, yes 2) Did he give his detractors more ammo.....YES 3) Will his fans give him a 2nd chance based on today....yes 4) Could all that was done today, been accomplished via his website.....yep So, in short.....this was 13 minutes of nothingness, but hey, the coffee I drank while watching went down smooth :)

I just watched the statement for the first time. I was a little disappointed that he didn't mention golf a little more, but it would have seemed a little out of place, plus he probably just doesn't know when he will play again. It seems like he won't be playing any time soon, but, I'm trying to stop assuming anything when it comes to Tiger Woods.

A little (or a lot, though maybe I shouldn't be) shocked to hear that paparazzi followed his kid to her school. Who cares where she goes to school, were they looking for an interview from a 4 year old? Creepy much? That right there is the epitome of what is wrong with pop culture.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

So what the hell do you want from him? Is there anything he could possibly do to ease the personal affront that he has done to you?

First of all, he didn't have to do conference, if he still think his "sex addiction" is personal and family matters, and want to ignore fans and media.

But he came out of public hiding only under the strictly controlled and manipulated environment. not allowing any questions from media. I do not want to ask any question since I don't care about his personal life other than his golf, but media may....this simply indicates that he does not want to reveal anything other than planned statement.....sign of dishonesty. When you feel truly sorry to your friends for what you did, do you read statement in front of your friend? NO! Bottom line of this whole press conference is just calculated act to pave the road to come out of hiding and play. This is that simple.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

The only thing I didn't like about his statement was the part about "I've worked so hard that I felt I was entitled to the temptations" I'm not saying the guy doesn't give golf his all and works hard on his game. However he needs to keep in mind that he plays golf for a living and by living I mean more in a year than most of us will make in a lifetime. I'm sure being a pro golfer is tough at times but I think I could enjoy it more than my job.

Fascinating - and thanks for reminding me of that statement of his. I see what you mean I suppose but

looking at it from his point of view , I found this statement to be very powerful and credible. So much so that I was a bit shocked. He was surely unburdening himself of something he really does not like about himself (and wants to change). Not pretty but dammit, if he's going to make a real change he has to start saying stuff like this and meaning it. I think it shows that he has thought hard about things (with the help of others of course, those guys in the rehab place know a thing or two). He's been busy lately I daresay. And let's hope it sticks ............ he hit his drive onto the fairway at least, we'll see what he does with the approach shot. Call me a sucker, go on you guys ....... Caveat: I'm no shrink, so WWIK?

4-hybrid:

• Administrator
Wow, harsh comments there sir. Let's go through what was accomplished today:

I take it you've never seen Billy Madison. I'm surprised "Butch" has.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Fascinating - and thanks for reminding me of that statement of his. I see what you mean I suppose but

I hope he meant what he said and be able to play again this year.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I don't think he's a sex addict. He just likes the ladies. I friend told me that he used to sell home alarm systems. His company had sold one to a well known, good looking basketball star in Detroit. While installing the mans system, they found in his bedroom several boxes full of womens pictures in various states of dress and undress, with letters attached, all offering him adult entertainment. If this is the way it is for many sports stars, most men I know would have acted just about like TW. If good looking women are throwing themselves at you constantly, its going to be hard to resist.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

I'm not a Tiger fan but I thought he did ok. I wonder how much more time he has in the rehab program? If he's there another 3-4 weeks, looks like he will have a hard time being ready for the Masters. I'm thinking probably sometime just before the U.S. Open now. But who knows.........probably going to need his wife's blessing before returning anyway.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

If good looking women are throwing themselves at you constantly, its going to be hard to resist.

With a wife and kids would you do that?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I hope he meant what he said and be able to play again this year.

Yes, but of course only he can judge what's best for his family etc when it comes to the timing. That he didn't commit to anything today, and didn't show signs of impatience, was another good sign IMO. Time to take the long view of what's happening here, no? He'll be coming back strong whenever he does choose to come back; somehow I don't think he's hanging up his clubs in the interim.

Maybe I'm just over-reacting to lowish expectations being exceeded today and am getting set up for the fall. Tell me it isn't so .......

4-hybrid:

I wonder will he still play in the JP Macmanus Open over here in May.....
I hope he will I've got tickets booked.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I dont know how you could watch that and say he fake it. He did an excellent job, said everything he needed to.

FT-iQ 10* driver
FT-i Squareway 3 Wood
X-22's Irons
X Series JAWS Chrome 56*, 60*
Zinc Dual Sided Blade Putter HX Hot Bite X-22 Stand Bag

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!