IGNORED

Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

jubess
Note: This thread is 5039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The fact is, psychologists disagree on whether sex addiction is a true disease, so I think either point of view is valid. However I think it's telling that, unlike alcoholism, substance abuse, and pathological gambling to name a few, "sex addiction" is

That is fine, even if you disagree with it, people should bother studying the topic before automatically dismissing it is my point. Neurological studies are being conducted to see if the brains from sexual addicts are changing and prominent scholars such as Dr. Patrick Carnes of Pine Grove Rehabilitation and Dr. Martin Kafka from Harvard .The American Psychological Association is currently debating its merits; and consensus changes so just because its not published in one book is not very telling at all really.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The American Psychological Association is currently debating its merits; and consensus changes so just because its not published in one book is not very telling at all really.

Well, you seem to put stock in the APA - do

they define sexual addiction as a disease, or mental disorder? Is there any book you can cite where it is defined as such? My point being, I don't think the medical field considers this a disorder. In the absence of that, people with sexual addiction are simply people will low self-control, IMO.

Bill

Does a single person get labeled as a "sex addict" if they were doing the same thing that Tiger was?

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I saw a couple of minutes. He started with "Good morning blah blah blah", then moved on to "I want to say to each of you yada yada yada", and he lost me at "Elin didn't beat my cheatin' ass . . . something something". Dude, don't apologize to me - aplogize to your wife, her mom, your mom, and do it in private.

You don't think he's apologized to them? The media and fans wanted an apology from him, and he gave one. What is the problem?

Does a single person get labeled as a "sex addict" if they were doing the same thing that Tiger was?

It's not about what you do, but how your state of mind is. Sleeping with a lot of people don't make you a sex addict, it's a mental thing.

We will probably never know if Tiger really is an addict, or that the therapy is just for show, but I don't see the problem in any case. If he really has problems, it's the best place to be. If not, at least he's showing the world that he takes this serious. He's one of the worlds best and most known athletes and persons, showing that he takes action will ease a lot of harassement.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's not about what you do, but how your state of mind is. Sleeping with a lot of people don't make you a sex addict, it's a mental thing.

State of mind about sex? Well, numerous studies I've seen say that the average male thinks about sex about every minute. Now, I've always thought that's hard to believe, but like I've said, it's what they say is true.

So, it would seem to me that all average guys are "sex addicts". No? I tend to think that the "treatment" is more or less a PR ploy aimed to show people he's at least doing something to "fix" himself. In the end, it's up to him to change and be a better husband. That all being said, it's all still Tiger's personal business, along w his family's and privacy should be afforded to them. I just want to know when he's ready to tee it up.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

State of mind about sex? Well, numerous studies I've seen say that the average male thinks about sex about every minute. Now, I've always thought that's hard to believe, but like I've said, it's what they say is true.

I'm not weighing in on the discussion re: the legitimacy of the "sex addiction" label but I believe that it's not about whether someone thinks about sex (or you're right, we're all in that category!). Rather, it's the inability to withstand the temptation of the thoughts that puts you in a different category of most other men.

If I were in Tiger's shoes all these past yrs, I may have very well slipped up a time maybe two with a groupie on the road, however, 19? And many of them on several occasions over a lengthy period of time - makes me think something other than weak will power is at play.

This sex addiction debate made me think of an old work colleague. My company had a salesman who was married and he ran around on his wife all the time. I worked there for 27 years and he was that way the whole time. He even bragged about it. I never thought of him as a sex addict, just a low life slime ball. Anyway, one Saturday morning he knocked on my door and asked if he could stay for a couple of days. Caught me off guard so I said OK. Turned out more like 2 weeks. His wife finally caught him. He begged his way back into their house as his wife either forgave him or just needed the financial security he brought to the marriage. He changed his ways too, quit running around as far as I know. But might have had more to do with the fact he was old and ran out of gas.....so to speak.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

You don't think he's apologized to them? The media and fans wanted an apology from him, and he gave one. What is the problem?

What apology did you deserve? I know I sure didn't ask for one.

The media and fans may have wanted an apology, but do you honestly believe that everyone deserves one? The media? Oh, please.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Never said I wanted an apologoy, I just want to see him play golf again. I never said they deserved one, but a lot of people expected it from him, so he gave one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

So Zeph, do you think that Tiger really felt that the public deserved an apology, or was he doing it for some other reason? I know that I'm asking you to speculate, and you may not wish to do that. Some others will draw their own (tentative) conclusions about TW's motives based on what they know about the man, which as we all know is not very much at the moment when it comes to his private life. We'll learn more about this with time I dare say.

I ask you this because you strongly imply that you think he made the apology to appease the public (i.e. to satisfy expectations), rather than from his own initiative.

Best,
Charles.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Both.

He knows his position in this world, and knows that a lot of kids look up to him, It's only reasonable he wanted to apologize to them. I also believe he did it as a part of getting through this period and getting his life back on track. It's a part of the 12 step program.

I don't think he did it because it was expected, or to appease the public, but because he thought it was the right thing to do. I don't see why we should put so much effort into this speech, or what his motives are.

Thanks for that. I personally think that he is bigger than that in a sense (just MHO), by which I mean that he truly feels that he has profoundly disappointed many many people and he really wants to make amends. In other words, he is now forced to confront that part of himself that he knows many people he respects find most unpleasant to contemplate - himself included. This is almost pure speculation, and ironically (coming from a major critic of his sexual exploits) is a more generous interpretation than yours. Perhaps I am still projecting too much into the man, we shall see. Look, none of us is a Saint, we all have done things of which we are not proud. That doesn't make us devils, and indeed hopefully at least some people can change themselves when they are forced to confront their weaknesses. This is something most people, including myself, can well understand. Tiger plays on a larger stage - hard to imagine a larger one - but the principle is the same.

Your post is somewhat inconsistent with what you strongly implied in #280 but it's complicated, we can agree on that.

4-hybrid:

Only inconsistency I see is that I wrote "so he gave one", as if to assume that he did it just to please the public. I don't think he did it just because everyone was tearing him apart in the media, but because he wanted to do so

As a sports fan (mostly of pro football - Go Vikes!) I could care less on the tone, style, or setting of jocks talking to the press and/or their fans. I am not paying for "that". If I paid for a motivational speech circuit guy in my town and got some shaky note-driven or prompter reliant speel (our Prez?), what a joke!

With the TW speech, the thing that I didn't like was some of his anger. I had a Buddhist roomy way back for a couple of years and remember him as being so care -free and relaxed, and this guy was trying to write a Master's thesis. TW was mad that the press was hounding his mom,wife, & kid. Yeh, that seems wrong but who didn't say anything for over two mo's to bring this on? TW should be mad only at himself for the press/paparazzi for doing what they are paid to do. He could move to Tibet for awhile and avoid the dreaded reporters and cams.

That main camera that went down half way thru must have got his ire up. We saw black and heard audio before a switch to cam 2. I think I would have been p** off on that! Bogus over-the-shoulder look the rest of the way and bkgd chatter....looked like a very college-level sports wrap show student project - I should know, that's my frickin bachelor's degree!

Overall, I think TW will come back a better golfer in the short term, and likely a better family guy. I still am a fan of his super fast tempo swings and work-out mentality off the course. Even though I am cruddy on the golf scorecard, when I go out a single player on courses locally and get paired up with dudes who always out shoot me, I rest easy in that I can conquer them in owning my own demons just as good or better than them, or at least look better hitting the running trails and weights at the ripe age of 46. Just keep doin' it TW!

In My Orlimar Arctic Cart Bag: (A Desert Survival tool)
Driver:MP-600 10.5 Fujikara 360 S
3w:2009 17 deg. Launcher Fujikara Gold R
Hybrids:MX-700 17 deg. Exsar FS4 R, G-10 21 deg. UST V-2 R
Irons: 5-pw MP-32 True Temper R300Chipper/wedge: 37 deg. IDEA A3OS ChipperGW:MP-t10 Black Satin 52.07SW: V...

At this point as this soap opera drags on and on, the only thing I really care about is when is he going to play again. Golf is not as exciting without him. We all know at this point about all the women he's been with, at least its out in the open, he doesnt have anything else to hide. The best thing he can do to improve his public image is to go out and play in and win some tournaments, then everyone will start to focus on tiger the golfer and not tiger the ladies man. All these public apologies to a handpicked audience doesnt help. He needs to remember why he's famous in the first place, he's the best golfer in the world. Hiding from the public only makes him seem more guilty than he already is. He didnt commit a crime or break the law, he's guilty of being a bad husband, thats all. Many athletes have done much worse, people seem to forget that. Look at Adam Jones, Plaxico Burress, etc. Tiger didnt even get fined or suspended by his own league, the PGA tour. I hope he gets back to the tour soon, I'd like to see a competitive Tiger at the Masters.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

That statement may read well. It was delivered awkwardly. And Tiger should have realized he wasn't in position to criticize anyone. The defiant sections were the most natural and forceful. That stood out to me, and not in a good way. It was like he was intent on getting those points across, and everything else was what he knew he had to say, not what he wanted to say. Tiger is so damn competitive and the little digs have always been simple for him, and not out of place because they were backed by great foundation. Unfortunately, in this vulnerable position he didn't have anyone strong enough to look over his shoulder and insist on an eraser over huge blocks of that text. He should have delivered it from a seated informal position and spoken sincerely for a couple of minutes without prepared text. As is, the statement didn't provide enough converts. The apologists and the cynics had plenty to grasp, either way.

Visually, it was stunning. Tiger is in far worse shape than I thought. Not physically. His spirit is staggered. You could see it in his eyes. I'd estimate he's not close to returning. Phil had the minor groove issue and his face was flush and drawn during that DiMarco weekend. Even though he's not played well subsequently, once he benched the Ping wedge it was obvious he was beaming and carefree again. Tiger is nowhere close. And not exactly surprising, an instant transition from impenetrable to punching bag, something Tiger never dreamed he would face. Phil's entire career has been ups and downs.

Elin's absence wasn't given enough weight. Invariably the spouse is there to lend support in a situation like that. I can think of only a handful of exceptions. When Elin wasn't in the picture I gulped and understood the situation was exponentially further away than I imagined. I expected Tiger and Elin to slowly appear in public together. Obviously that was an inept handicap. One report I saw on the night of the statement claimed Elin decided a night earlier that she wanted nothing to do with the scene, but Tiger begged her to change her mind in the final hours before he left.

All that said, I think it's ridiculous to assert Tiger's game will suffer dramatically, once he returns. The guy is 34. There's great truth to the assertions he's actually the most underrated player on tour. I do tons of stats work and it's bizarre. No one in any sport has consistently held more margin for error than Tiger Woods. His distance may be down in comparison to a handful of guys but it's still plenty sufficient for the superiority elsewhere to kick in as trump card variables.

Frankly, I thought Jack was a bit pathetic and in denial a few days ago, claiming Tiger missing the so-called "gimmes" at Pebble Beach and St. Andrews considerably hinders the opportunity toward 18. Bottom line, Tiger will be in the 2/1 to 3/1 underdog range in foreseeable majors. That equates to one per year given logical distribution. If you reversed the digits and he was 43, the skepticism would be valid. At 34 we'll look back and chuckle. Tiger's pace will slow down once he passes Jack. He will get there.

That statement may read well. It was delivered awkwardly. And Tiger should have realized he wasn't in position to criticize anyone. The defiant sections were the most natural and forceful. That stood out to me, and not in a good way. It was like he was intent on getting those points across, and everything else was what he knew he had to say, not what he wanted to say. Tiger is so damn competitive and the little digs have always been simple for him, and not out of place because they were backed by great foundation. Unfortunately, in this vulnerable position he didn't have anyone strong enough to look over his shoulder and insist on an eraser over huge blocks of that text. He should have delivered it from a seated informal position and spoken sincerely for a couple of minutes without prepared text. As is, the statement didn't provide enough converts. The apologists and the cynics had plenty to grasp, either way.

Interesting read. I don't agree with your criticism of the defiance for two reasons. First, I think that regardless of his transgressions, he is absolutely right to call out the paparazzi sleaze for their behavior. Second, I think it's naturally easier to be "comfortable" when on the offensive like that than when delivering an apology. I don't think the comfort reflects on the sincerity or the relative importance in his mind, it's just that it's easier to get across anger and force than it is to express regret and other "passive" emotions.

I think it's interesting, but consistent, that Elin didn't appear with him. As he said in the speech, they're still working on the issues, and they are planning to keep those private. Apparently they're not over it yet, so that's all I take from that. If anything I think it adds to the message that this is sincere since the playbook approach says she stands there beside him. They're not following the PR playbook. But I agree that he's going to come back when he's ready and that he'll be back in top form soon after he does.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

- IMO having Elin there would not have been "in the playbook", or indeed a smart move. Better not to have the crutch, this was his personal show in a sense (tho' some family+friends were there it's true). It's arguable of course.

- Everyone knows that paparazzi are going to do what we know they will do. They are paid to do that, it is expected by all celebrities that they will do that, one would be shocked if they did not do that. He can complain until the cows come home but the business aint gonna change just for him. The same forces that have made him such a rich man are those that drive the paparazzi in their work. Not forgetting of course that he put himself in his present position - "should have thought of that before .....".

- Regret is an emotion that IMO can be expressed as strongly as any other, and often is. But I think it was good that he kept his emotions mostly in check. To do otherwise would have seemed cheap and manipulative IMO. You could argue that the visible anger represented a play for sympathy but I wouldn't make the argument myself. My impression was that he meant it and didn't mind showing it.

- I agree that Tiger's mental shape is a concern. This isn't like keeping focused to win a Major on a Sunday afternoon. He's fighting a different battle now.

4-hybrid:

Note: This thread is 5039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!