IGNORED

Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

jubess
Note: This thread is 5014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That was truly bizarre.

Thought it was as much an 'F-You' to tabloids and press as an apology.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
WTF was that? No update on a return to golf, or did I miss that?????

Given the rest of his message, talking about golf at any length would have been counter-productive. The message was about Tiger's errors and his desire to correct them, not about winning golf tournaments.

The effect on the Match Play is what it is - anyone here dispute that?

Several people have, obviously. I - and many others think it's helped the tournament far more than it's hurt it.

Of course the point remains (and Ernie's), that Tiger should have set this up for a Monday or Tuesday rather than a Friday - for reasons that I'm sure people understand very well whether they admit it or not.

I think his reasoning was explained pretty clearly: he's going back in tomorrow and had to do it today. But again, what are facts when Chas has an opinion on Tiger Woods?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WTF was that? No update on a return to golf, or did I miss that?????

I don't think golf was the focal point of what he was trying to accomplish today.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Fair play to him, thats the first step out the way.

Sure he's been through all the s?*t by now, but since this was a public broadcast, he should have done a better job, because this will have little effect in silencing his critics.
For example.... When mentioning the stuff about the press following his daughter to school, he followed up by saying "I brought this upon myself" ... it would have struck a far better note with public if he said "I brought this upon them"...

I'm sorry but it just doesnt quite cut the mustard for me, too staged and not enough acknowledgment for how much the public would love to see him playing golf again, playing as a gentleman. Maybe he cant guarantee that he wont be throwing clubs any more. Yes he has to acknolwedge his family in the public eye, but it was just too staged. I hope it was enough for the family.

Respect to him though for getting on with it, speaking to the public now rather than much later! There'll be more for him to address publicly and it might not go so smoothly.

Sure he's been through all the s?*t by now, but since this was a public broadcast, he should have done a better job, because this will have little effect in silencing his critics.

You're in the minority on that one already, I think.

For example.... When mentioning the stuff about the press following his daughter to school, he followed up by saying "I brought this upon myself" ... it would have struck a far better note with public if he said "I brought this upon them"...

Talk about picking at nits. Holy boogers, Batman.

I'm sorry but it just doesnt quite cut the mustard for me, too staged and not enough acknowledgment for how much the public would love to see him playing golf again, playing as a gentleman.

This wasn't about golf.

I hope it was enough for the family.

This wasn't for the family.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

He may return this year but he was speaking as if this was unlikely

I agree with that. Maybe much later this year - the Chevron Challenge perhaps? - but I read it as a write-off for this year.

Interesting - more than I expected it to be, tbh. If he delivers on what he said, in his professional life (in which he seemed to acknowledge some behaviour that wasn't up to snuff) as well as his personal life, then I will be among those who welcome him with open arms. But now - back to the golf! There's a tournament going on that is shaping up to be a cracker!

All of you who who think this was staged know nothing about addictions. This was real.

Addiction? What addiction are you talking about?

The idea that you have a disease because you let your moral compass got out the window is such a load of garbage.

Well, not that this matters at all, but I found his apology heart felt. And of course, this still doesn't matter, but I forgive Tiger for what he did (not that I ever blamed him for anything or felt betrayed by him, nor did I feel I needed any kind of apology). I've been ready to move on for a while, and I am more than ready to see him tee it up on the PGA Tour so he can get owned by Y.E. Yang again.

I miss you Tiger. The Tour is way more fun when you're in the field.

Constantine

Why the need to ask him questions? What questions, exactly, do you want to ask him? This is a step he needed to take toward recovery. This was not a time to take questions.

I thought was a genuine message and a good first step of facing the music. That was NOT easy, I'm pretty sure of that. Not having the media ask questions was not to make this easy. Th easy way would've been to clap the words up in a post on his webpage.

I'm definitely disappointed as a fan in the part where he said he doesn't know when he's coming back to golf, but if he needs this time away to repair his family then I want him to do that. Hopefully, he finishes his rehab work and then can begin preparing to return to competitive golf.

Meh, expected BS....

"I have to follow by the same rules as everyone else"

BUT.....

Please come to my press conference, that I only invited a few people to, and where I refuse to answer questions.....unlike other golfers...
Please leave my wife, mom, and family alone and please don't take pictures of them......unlike other celebs in the same situation....
Please don't talk about my wife chasing me with a golf club......although the evidence seems otherwise....ok, maybe there wasn't evidence, but I chuckle at the thought
Please allow me to classify my cheating as an addiction where I need treatment....unlike other people that have cheated on their spouse....
Please applaud Accenture for supporting my decision.....even though if they didn't, it would be sponsorship suicide....

WELL.....except all these things, and other rules I set going forward, "I have to follow the same rules as everyone else", at least as I deem them to be right for me....

Uhhhllllll.....sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....oh, and does my health plan cover treatment for not cheating on my wife when approached by sophisticated cocktail waitress models, I just want to cover my bases....LOL

This wasn't for the family.

If it wasn't for the family, fair comment, but to my eyes and ears Tiger's statement didn't quite do Tiger justice. But maybe I dont go for such cool mild mannered statements and soundbites. I have my opinion, you have yours.

I have high expectations for him, maybe too high , what can I say, because I've always reckoned him to be an admirable figure in the manner he has generally conducted himself during his professional career and I really hope he can live up to that for the public. As one of the worlds finest ever sportsmen, the public want him to be the finest example of a man in all respects and are disappointed if there are faults, I know no one is perfect and managing life in that spotlight is complex and challenging i'm sure. I hope he warms to the public when he returns to competition, the public will warm to him if he does. I, and I'm sure countless others, look forward to him returning to his profession with enthusiasm and eagerness to win.

I too wish Ernie would have zipped it (no pun intended) but wasn't he a wealthy and successful professional golfer long before Tiger Woods hit the scene? I can't comment on how much his association with Tiger off the course has lined his pockets, but I recall Ernie was involved with course design early on as well.

He definitely was successful before TW, no doubt, but my point was that since TW joined the Tour, the purses have grown tremendously, and all of the players became much richer because of the money and attention he brought to the game.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I liked what he had to say. Very heart felt I thought. I wish him the best and hope he gets his family back together. I really think we will see a more open and better Tiger when he does return. The cussin and club throwing will be gone. Good luck Tiger!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

As for him returning to golf:
"I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be."

Compare that quote, with something like:
"I do plan to return to golf this year , but I just don't know when that will be"
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Addiction? What addiction are you talking about?

I dont think its an addiction either. If anything he is guilty of being a typical male. But in the hyper-sensitive culture we live in now it gets framed this way. If i were tiger i probably be out there taggin tail, too. I might have made classier choses of mistress, though. lol. Some of these reported flings are no where near as hot as his wife was..

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!