IGNORED

Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

jubess
Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He could also come back with a different attitude and perspective and realize other things are more important and not have the same drive to win he had before.

I'm sure he will have a different view on life after this, but that he has lost his drive to win? No chance. He's extremely competitive and still the worlds best player, he still wants to beat Jack on majors. If anything, I'd say his focus would be better on the course, with this major weight gotten off his back.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me? You mean, YOU only see it with famous or powerful people.

Yes, I only see celebrities playing the "sex addiction" card and actually getting away with it. When the average Joe does what Tiger did, it will and always will be called cheating on your wife. It's a joke......

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Yes, I only see celebrities playing the "sex addiction" card and actually getting away with it. When the average Joe does what Tiger did, it will and always will be called cheating on your wife. It's a joke......

I respectfully disagree. First, I don't see TW getting away with anything. The man has put his life on hold and is in therapy right now. People who get away with things don't do anything to change themselves. Sounds like TW is taking a different approach. Second, I'm not disagreeing with you that he cheated on his wife. He cheated badly. I'm not even saying Tiger is a sex addict, I haven't diagnosed him, not to mention the fact that I'm not a doctor or therapist. All I'm saying is that sex addiction (again, call it something different if the word addiction bothers you) is a real problem for people in this world. Frankly, I don't get the criticism of a person taking steps to fix their bad behavioral problems. What would you rather he do?

Doesn't the rehab center that TW goes to also have "non-celebrity" patients? I thought the reason TW went there was because it was known to be a good center for "sex addicts".

I am not saying whether "sex addiction" is true or not, but am just saying that if the report is true, then there are "average Joes" that have sex addiction.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

You may not understand addiction, but as one that has dealt with addictive behavior my entire life (mine as well as others), I know 1st hand that these behaviors take on all sorts of forms. I know there are those that do not believe in "sex addiction" .. fine ... There are those that will stand in front of a TV camera and try to tell me that for a fee they can teach me to drink in a socially acceptable manner ... that's fine too, but I don't happen to buy into either idea. Either way, it's the person dealing directly with the "addiction" or "socially unacceptable behavior" that has to deal with it and if calling it an addiction and going thru a treatment facility works for them who are we to belittle that?
Addiction is a lot like putting .. it's a very personal thing and is not the same for everyone ... Tiger has put his cards on the table as best he knows how. He's dealing with this his way. If it were me - I would certainly want to do it my way - and I really would not care what anyone else thought about it.
You may think recovering from an addiction is something you do for those around you ... it's not - not at all. You recover from an addiction for yourself - it's a very selfish process, because until you are good with yourself, you will never be any good to anyone else ...
You can't judge it if you ain't lived it ... and if you've lived it, you wouldn't feel the need to judge it.

OK - I'm now stepping down from my soap box ....

BTW ... My name is Mark, and I'm a Golfaholic ...

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Frankly, I don't get the criticism of a person taking steps to fix their bad behavioral problems. What would you rather he do?

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not criticising him for trying to get his life back in order. I just think the "sex addiction" thing is a joke and a PR stunt. It is so much easier for him to claim sex addiction rather than just admitting that he had quite a wild past few years. Can you not see that it is an out for him? I feel that a lot of people play the addiction card because it allows them to say "I couldn't control what I was doing". It sort of shifts the blame off of them onto this addiction...........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Ask any addict if this is an OUT. It ain't! Not an Out, not an excuse, it's simply a fact. Many of us suffer from behaviors we simply can not easily control - period. I WISH my addiction was an OUT ... I WISH I could enjoy a nice glass of wine with my wife over a great dinner - but I choose not to now because I KNOW where it will lead me if I do ... But it took me a LONG time to get to this point and it cost me a marriage and a real life with my son ...
I know you do not understand - there is no way you could unless you have been there ... it's that simple.

"Retired in my Dreams"

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not criticising him for trying to get his life back in order. I just think the "sex addiction" thing is a joke and a PR stunt. It is so much easier for him to claim sex addiction rather than just admitting that he had quite a wild past few years. Can you not see that it is an out for him? I feel that a lot of people play the addiction card because it allows them to say "I couldn't control what I was doing". It sort of shifts the blame off of them onto this addiction...........

I agree with this point.

BTW, Reading pre-written statement word to word without giving any chance for single question…..under perfect control of the situation...is Not a good sign for a sincere apology from my view point. And, he's going back to theraphy?

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

Ask any addict if this is an OUT. It ain't! Not an Out, not an excuse, it's simply a fact. Many of us suffer from behaviors we simply can not easily control - period. I WISH my addiction was an OUT ... I WISH I could enjoy a nice glass of wine with my wife over a great dinner - but I choose not to now because I KNOW where it will lead me if I do ... But it took me a LONG time to get to this point and it cost me a marriage and a real life with my son ...

Hard to contest what Boyder has said. Call it what you want, but Tiger took a big step today and if therapy helps, no matter what you call it, who are we to judge. It always astounds me how many holyer than thou people there are willing to hammer someone when their down. Best of luck to you Boyder in your recovery.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I agree with this point.

BTW, Reading pre-written statement word to word without giving any chance for single question…..under perfect control of the situation...is NOT a good sign for a sincere apology from my view point. And, he's going back to therapy?

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

What questions would you ask him?

Yes, he is going back to therapy right away.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Best of luck to you Boyder in your recovery.

Thanks Cussin'! 23 years and still hangin' in there!!

Like I tell my kids ... I have given up drinking, drugs and smoking ... Pretty Soon I will have no Vices left!! ... Does swearing count as a vice? ... Damn! Not dropping that one anytime soon!

"Retired in my Dreams"

Sex addiction or any other form of addiction drugs, alcohol etc, is a sign of a weak person. I see it all the time, people saying they cant quit smoking even though they know its one of the worst things they can to to themselves, i just dont understand how people can allow a drug to control them.

You're lucky not to have had the experience that it would take to understand how it can happen. I'm lucky that way too, but I really don't think it's fair to claim it's as simple as not having the strength to do it. People get hooked on various things and go to lengths that go far beyond what Tiger's done to feed addictions. Things that literally destroy their lives. That takes more than just being weak. I've not experienced that kind of addiction, but I don't kid myself that it's because I'm stronger than everyone else.

OK so my personal "Weasel Detector" was set to maximum gain (high false postive rate, lots of static .....) and yet

I agree. I see complaints about the performance, about minutiae of the language, but to me that says that he was reading his own words and thoughts, not a carefully worded message written by a team of PR reps. It felt real, it felt like the work of someone whose job is decidedly NOT public speaking. That to me says this is about making this right (for his family, friends, and people who depend on him) and not simply a ploy to clean up his image and get back to business as usual.

Call me naive, call me a sucker ..... but IMO it was a good start. I also now think that this was a reasonable initial format, i.e. no questions from the press etc. There will be plenty of time for that in the coming weeks/months but he needed the time to say what he wanted to say. The whole entitlement business, it's exactly what I was seeing and was perhaps the most significant statement of all this morning. Amazing to hear a sportsman, any person in his place in society, admit to this so candidly and so credibly.

Well said, but no one should call you naive or a sucker, my vote is for insightful. This is clearly the start (or, at least, not the end) of a process for him. This was about his taking responsibility, public responsibility, for his errors. He did so with an, IMO, appropriate level of candor: he admitted his specific wrongs without giving any legitimacy to the clamoring for salacious details.

It was also about defending his family. At first I was surprised that he was so bluntly attacking the media, then I realized he wasn't blaming them for his troubles. He was calling them out for preying upon his family, and that was the right thing to do as a father. Whether he's been a faithful, sinless father or not, he still gets points from me for this.
He could also come back with a different attitude and perspective and realize other things are more important and not have the same drive to win he had before.

As a fan, that'd be a shame. If it's what he has to do in order to mend things with his family, then it's what he has to do. I hope he can come back as a stronger golfer than before, but if that's the road he takes, I'll still thank him for the great golf he's given us and wish him the best.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Sex addiction or any other form of addiction drugs, alcohol etc, is a sign of a weak person. I see it all the time, people saying they cant quit smoking even though they know its one of the worst things they can to to themselves, i just dont understand how people can allow a drug to control them.

You're right ... You don't understand ... I pray you never have to! But if the day ever comes that your life seems to be falling apart around you and you have no one to blame but yourself ... I hope you remember writing this and realize that "weaknes of character" has NOTHING to do with it.

"Retired in my Dreams"

I agree with this point.

So what the hell do you want from him? Is there anything he could possibly do to ease the personal affront that he has done to you?

Having a Q&A; session would only deteriorate into a circus, and likely get to the point where he'd have to just walk out. That would help nothing. I think he made a huge first step and he did it the best way possible. I also feel that he is trying his best to make a fresh start with his family and with the game. How it works out, only time will tell.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Think about the likely interactions between the two of them these past three months or so, especially more recently when he's been facing the music with his family. Very intense, personally it is almost beyond my imagination.

We cannot know for certain of course, and in a way it's impertinent to speculate, but I'd bet money there was a lot of genuine feeling in that moment for him. Do we have reason to think otherwise? I sense that he was keeping his (somewhat fluctuating) emotions in control as much as he could during the session but there was a lot under the surface (not so far under). He let his anger at the paparazzi show at one point that but of course anger was NOT the base emotion, far from it - hard to describe his core feelings and I wouldn't presume to try, but a complex mix I would think and very difficult. I leave this sort of analysis to the experts ...... (I'm better with hard numbers myself).

How do you think he felt as he walked away from the lectern and out of view? - have to believe there were a lot of genuine and powerful emotions at play there - and very private ones.

As a skeptic re: the non-interview format of this before the event, it made sense to me to do it this way as it played out and I personally don't think it reflects a lack of sincerity in his apologia. You can argue the opposite: he was trying to get it right . We will learn about that (his sincerity) in due course, for today he wanted to control the situation so that he could get the correct message across in the way he wanted. I've got no problem with that, but he will need to open up and take questions later - after the therapy sessions are over I suppose and he starts interacting with the public more.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!