IGNORED

Favorite TV Show(s)

cignatz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Curious - can you mention any of the specifics about the inaccuracies? I'd expand on this question, but I don't want to spoil the show.

I actually have no idea.  My wife recommended it to my parents, as a way for them to maybe understand better and get used to the idea, and my mother mentioned it to my cousin.  All I know is that my mom told me he was not thrilled and said it wasn't an accurate portrait.

Just reading about it online, a common criticism seems to be that straight men play the roles, which perpetuates the perception of transgender being "a man in a dress"

Quote:
As a trans woman, I must admit that it continues to be disheartening to see certain portrayals of my community's experiences in the hands of cisgender people. When I see yet another cis man in a trans woman role, à la Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club , it continues to elucidate how society understands us. Or how -- in short -- they don't. The acceptance of the "man in a dress" trope continues to persist despite more awareness and representation than ever before.
It's unfortunate that Orange is the New Black didn't win in that category. In addition to being a multi-narrative TV show obliquely based on a real story, it more adequately represents the transgender experience by featuring trans actress and activist Laverne Cox. With this in mind, it exists as one of the best and most authentic portrayals of the trans woman experience to ever grace either the silver screen or the small screen. That authenticity matters. It should also be noted that Cox is the first black trans woman to ever star in a headlining show and the first trans person to be nominated for an Emmy in an acting role.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raquel-willis/hollywood-youre-halfway-t_b_6463288.html

Another thing I read said that one of the characters self-identifies as a "man with a vag" which is the same idea but based on the actual plot not casting.  I dont know if this was my cousin's complaint, but its one that's out there.

See, even writing this I say "he" and I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to say.  I shouldn't be this ignorant about it.  I haven't educated myself on the issue yet.

Ah, thanks, I see. He/she - I think that's addressed in the show somewhere. I should put Orange is the New Black on the to watch list.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Dated? I respectfully disagree. The problems delineated in The Wire - drugs, education, unions, corruption, politics - are just as bad as they were when The Wire was being broadcasted.

Some even worse.Originally Posted by jamo

I'd argue that a TV show can feel visually dated without being thematically dated.

That is pretty much what I meant. Plus technologically. Look at the computers they are using on that show.

Halfway thru season 2. Sad about what happened to D.

Bill M

Normally, during the winter, I like my shows to be based in, I dunno, Hawaii. This new show, Fortitude is based in super cold arctic circle. It's in the vein of your moody Norweign shows like Bron/Broen or Forbrydelsen but they speak English, no subtitles. It's on the Pivot channel. Kind of intriguing so far, only the pilot has been aired. [video]http://youtu.be/egy3n-7DQAU[/video]

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The Walking Dead returns next Sunday.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I got into Black Sails on Starz. Watched the first season on demand; the second season just started last week. It's a good show, similar to Game of Thrones, only pirate themed. The setting is a prequel to Treasure Island (Long John Silver is one of the secondary characters on the show). The only thing I have against it is the amount of unnecessary sex going on that really adds nothing to the show plot-wise, but that's just how premium cable shows are, these days.

Here's the trailer from season 1:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The Americans!  Season 3 has started up.

Looking to see where they take the daughter storyline - in contrast to the daughter in Homeland (yuck). Frank Langella as the handler will be interesting. That EST cult was crackpot.

Steve

Just finished the first series of Broadchurch. They did a great job of keeping me guessing until the last episode. Very well done.

If you liked Broadchurch, you might The Fall, Pleasant Valley, or Whitechapel. I loved all 4 of those.

The villain in The Fall is the lead in "50 Shades of Gray", I think.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

If you liked Broadchurch, you might The Fall, Pleasant Valley, or Whitechapel. I loved all 4 of those. The villain in The Fall is the lead in "50 Shades of Gray", I think.

I watched the first series of the Fall. It was okay. I adore Gillian Anderson. Currently missing all of my shows while on holiday. Caught a three episode segment of the Six Million Dollar Man yesterday while skipping the beach to nurse some sunburn. It has not aged well.

Corey

Better Call Saul started last night. The second show will be on tonight (Monday at 10:00) and will occupy that slot going forward. Great opening. Bob Odenkirk is terrific.

The opening sequence is a short piece with Saul in witness protection AFTER Breaking Bad, but the storyline going forward is him when he was a younger guy breaking in as a lawyer. Shyster would be more like it.

Bill M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Zevon

Just finished the first series of Broadchurch. They did a great job of keeping me guessing until the last episode. Very well done.

If you liked Broadchurch, you might The Fall, Pleasant Valley, or Whitechapel. I loved all 4 of those.

The villain in The Fall is the lead in "50 Shades of Gray", I think.

I'd also add Fortitude to the list. Only 3 episodes in, but I'm liking it so far.

Steve

Caught up on 1st two episodes of Better Call Saul and I liked this show more than I thought I would. Spoilers. The first episode dragged, the montages were a little long, but they're not any different than those in Breaking Bad. It's just cooking Cinnabons ain't the same as cooking meth. The second hour was better especially with the guy with thing in the living room with the salsa and then out to the desert. Space blanket guy is his brother based on info I heard from the writers of the show, when I learned that, things made more sense. Michelle MacClaren directed the second hour, did an awesome job as always. They're milking the developing relationship with Mike, which makes sense. FYI, the second episode is free on the AMC website, have to pay elsewhere. I didn't doubt the acting chops of the lead actor, I've seen him in shows elsewhere, it's just whether there's enough material to write for the character, there are lawyer shows abound. Looks good so far. Oh and those bone crunching noises - squirm. Not sure which was worse, these or squeezing a woman by cracking bones into a suitcase in another recent show on FX.

Steve

Caught up on 1st two episodes of Better Call Saul and I liked this show more than I thought I would. Spoilers. The first episode dragged, the montages were a little long, but they're not any different than those in Breaking Bad. It's just cooking Cinnabons ain't the same as cooking meth. The second hour was better especially with the guy with thing in the living room with the salsa and then out to the desert. Space blanket guy is his brother based on info I heard from the writers of the show, when I learned that, things made more sense. Michelle MacClaren directed the second hour, did an awesome job as always. They're milking the developing relationship with Mike, which makes sense. FYI, the second episode is free on the AMC website, have to pay elsewhere. I didn't doubt the acting chops of the lead actor, I've seen him in shows elsewhere, it's just whether there's enough material to write for the character, there are lawyer shows abound. Looks good so far. Oh and those bone crunching noises - squirm. Not sure which was worse, these or squeezing a woman by cracking bones into a suitcase in another recent show on FX.

I watched em both last night, and loved it.  Without even being a critic, you could tell it was put together by the BB people.  I agree that the thing with the guy and the salsa on the carpet was fantastic, and I also loved the Napolean Dynamite twins.  Still no spoilers, but there was one part (Ep 2) - well, actually 2 successive parts - that LITERALLY made me cringe. ;)

And no idea what's going on with space blanket (yes, that's his brother - the McGill part kind of gives it away, no? ;)) guy either - apparently some really unusual magnet-related affliction.

Oh, and I was a big fan of the blonde lawyer chick when she was on Franklin and Bash so I hope she has a big role.

Can't wait for Ep 3!!!

I watched em both last night, and loved it.  Without even being a critic, you could tell it was put together by the BB people.  I agree that the thing with the guy and the salsa on the carpet was fantastic, and I also loved the Napolean Dynamite twins.  Still no spoilers, but there was one part (Ep 2) - well, actually 2 successive parts - that LITERALLY made me cringe. ;)

And no idea what's going on with space blanket (yes, that's his brother - the McGill part kind of gives it away, no? ;)) guy either - apparently some really unusual magnet-related affliction.

Oh, and I was a big fan of the blonde lawyer chick when she was on Franklin and Bash so I hope she has a big role.

Can't wait for Ep 3!!!

"You are the worst lawyer, the worst lawyer ever!"

"Hey, I talked you down from a death sentence to six months' probation! I'm the BEST lawyer ever."

Bill M