IGNORED

Hand held GPS - where's yours?

Note: This thread is 5061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i have mine attached to a carabiner with my towel

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

I walk but use a push cart and mine is clipped to a bracket that screws right to the center of the carts handle. Always right there when I walk up to the ball.

I have the same one as yours

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Your kidding right? You think becuase a little polyester stands between my phone and the sky, thats going to affect the gps accuracy? I really don't believe you, one because that doesn't make sense, and two because i have been doing that for a year and have 0 problems and i know im not the only one.

I'm not kidding and it's true. It has nothing to do with the polyester between your phone and the sky, but your body mass, which to an RF signal acts like a sponge and kills the signal. If you read the antenna manufacturer's data sheets they tell you this right in the document. It's basic RF antenna design stuff. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. If you look at the actual GPS satellite receiver data output you'll see that it drops and adds satellites to it's view continuously. When you reduce the antenna gain by placing the antenna in close proximity to your body then the weaker satellites are not received anymore. That's a fact. And the more satellites in the GPS constellation that can be used for positional calculations, the more accurate the GPS positioning will be.

Typically, a consumer GPS will use a "Patch" or "Chip" antenna because they are cheap and work OK but they are also are susceptible to gain loss caused by large masses, such as your body, being in close proximity to it. There are more expensive antenna types that can minimize the effect but consumer gear rarely uses them because they cost $4-5 instead of $.50, even in large volumes. Your cell phone is subject to the same kind of signal loss too but it's signal is much much larger than the GPS signal (1000x or more) so it's not nearly as noticeable. This stuff really happens -- continuously -- but the software of the device hides it from you. You don't have to believe me, but I test it and see it on an almost daily basis.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Ya, MGP has a valid point. I have noticed it with GPS units I have used at work while locating and targeting underground Utilities. We do step a few feet away to allow it to pick up signals for a few minutes and then step back to the equipment.

But my little hand clipped to my body hasn't been affected drastically enough to not wear it. Yes, some may have been absorbed, but the stronger signals, which are the more accurate signals, are plentiful enough and I haven't noticed the yardage discrepancies.
I have seen it with my buddies Skygolf SG4 though. His was off by about 5-10 yards.

I'm not kidding and it's true. It has nothing to do with the polyester between your phone and the sky, but your body mass, which to an RF signal acts like a sponge and kills the signal. If you read the antenna manufacturer's data sheets they tell you this right in the document. It's basic RF antenna design stuff. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. If you look at the actual GPS satellite receiver data output you'll see that it drops and adds satellites to it's view continuously. When you reduce the antenna gain by placing the antenna in close proximity to your body then the weaker satellites are not received anymore. That's a fact. And the more satellites in the GPS constellation that can be used for positional calculations, the more accurate the GPS positioning will be.

You have to love the "I didn't see it therefore it can't be true" theory of scientific analysis.

The instructions with my GolfLogix specifically tell you NOT to carry it in your pocket for that very reason. The signal broadcast from a GPS satellite is quite weak... it takes very little for it to be blocked. Even the leaf canopy of a good sized oak tree can cause a golf GPS to lose the signal.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
Mine's on a mount attached to the umbrella holder of my push cart:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...gear-GPS-mount

So, it's always out in the open and locked in to the GPS signal, so I immediately have a good yardage as soon as I stop my cart next to my ball.

TM Burner Tour Driver | TM R9 3W | Nike VR 21° Hyhrid | Mizuno MP-60 4-PW | Vokey Wedges 56°, 60°| Cameron Kombi Putter

You have to love the "I didn't see it therefore it can't be true" theory of scientific analysis.

Actually it has more to do with the frequency of the signal than the strength. GPS signals are in the gigahertz range and the wavelength of the signal is very small in comparison to other signals such as AM radio which can easily travel through buildings and other obstacles. The small wavelength of the GPS signal can actually be obsorbed by foliage or even moisture laiden clouds.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Mine is on my iphone, so naturally it just sits in my pocked of my pants or on the outside pocket. The phone is slim and light enough that it has never bothered me during the swing while its in my pocket

Golfshot ?

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

If you leave your GPS attached to the bag I know some of the courses I play have very rough cart paths. Would the harsh vibrations cause the unit to break instantly or over time ?

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

If you leave your GPS attached to the bag I know some of the courses I play have very rough cart paths. Would the harsh vibrations cause the unit to break instantly or over time ?

Never been a problem for my GolfLogix. It hangs from my bag with a clip and a carabiner.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually it has more to do with the frequency of the signal than the strength. GPS signals are in the gigahertz range and the wavelength of the signal is very small in comparison to other signals such as AM radio which can easily travel through buildings and other obstacles. The small wavelength of the GPS signal can actually be obsorbed by foliage or even moisture laiden clouds.

With almost any GPS device, you should be able to check the stats and see how many satellites it is locked on to and what its accuracy is. With the iPhone, there is a free app called "GPSLite" which has a screen that shows the GPS signal strength and accuracy. When I was checking my iPhone on the golf course last weekend, it said the accuracy was 150ft. My Garmin car GPS unit usually is around 15 (feet or meters, I'm not sure what the units were). I'll have to check my SkyCaddie this weekend to see what it says.

TM Burner Tour Driver | TM R9 3W | Nike VR 21° Hyhrid | Mizuno MP-60 4-PW | Vokey Wedges 56°, 60°| Cameron Kombi Putter

Golfshot ?

Golfcard for me (I know you weren't asking me).

With almost any GPS device, you should be able to check the stats and see how many satellites it is locked on to and what its accuracy is.

For Golfcard, it is built into the software (although the reading obviously comes from the hardware). The signal meter goes green when it's locked on, and it has to this point never given me bad yardages that I can confirm. In fact, I've often been standing next to people with skycaddies and other stand-alone GPS devices and we're typically within 2 yards of each other.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I ordered the izzo swami and it comes with a belt clip that I do not believe would attach well to my stand bang.

Was thinking about using this.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
Attach the little knob to the back of the gps with some gorilla glue, then place the latch piece onto my bag.
Think that would work ?

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 5061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!