IGNORED

Best Hybrid Out of Rough

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Expect everyone's favorites for replies. That said I like the Bobby Jones hybrids; good out of the rough not so good in the very short stuff (for me) where I use a wood anyway.

I couldn't hit this thing off a tee nor the deck...never tried the rough, but 2 out of 3 was good enough reason to put it down.....and trust me it was tough...these are really nice looking at address. It took alittle to get used to the cobra, but it workedout fine.

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

• 2 weeks later...
Love the Nike Machspeed out of the rough.... great leading edge, similar to the sumo2 hybrid

909D2 / 10.5*

F11 / 15*

906F4 / 18.5*

910H / 23.25*

AP2 712 / 5-W

SM4 / 55*.12* & 59*.09*

Circa 62' No.6

Chalk another one up for the Baffler DWS. I have this and I also have a Nickent 4 hybrid that comes in and out of my bag. I find the Baffler to have a better distance (yes, I know its a 3) and be a more forgiving club. To be honest though when I first bought a hybrid, the sales guy at the store said you can't go wrong with any hybrid you pick, and I think he is right. I think you have to find which one that has the look and weight you feel most comfortable with in your hands.

Driver: Cobra S2 10.5
Fairway: S9-1 3 Wood 15.5
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3R
Irons: 4-9 Cobra FP
Wedges: 49 588, 54 & 60 CG14s Putter: White Hot XG #9Ball: Srixon AD333

I like the adams v1 pnt i have. Seems like i can hit it out of anything

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

Id say another for Cobra Baffler DWS but I play a Baffler TWS and I say that but 1 of those 2 will do the job extremly well but id say see if demo days are coming up in your area and try them out

Id say another for Cobra Baffler DWS but I play a Baffler TWS and I say that but 1 of those 2 will do the job extremly well but id say see if demo days are coming up in your area and try them out

so which of the two do you prefer...DWS or TWS...I'm the market for another hybrid 4 23*...

It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

I have the Baffler TWS and honestly I don't like it at all,I can get great results now and again and I often think I finally have it figured out but I'm soooooooooo inconsistent with the Baffler.

My vote goes to the Nike Sumo SQ 2 Hybrid,I honestly can't miss with this club,I just love it be it from the rough or the fairway or even the tee sometimes.
Different strokes for different folk I suppose!

I actually just bought the 3H off ebay a few hours ago to replace my 3h baffler having already have the 5H Nike Sumo I figured why not try the 3h as well.

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

My vote goes to the Nike Sumo SQ 2 Hybrid,I honestly can't miss with this club,I just love it be it from the rough or the fairway or even the tee sometimes.

Nike SQ Sumo 2 like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIKE-SQ-SUMO-2...item335e55c156

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I would say the TaylorMade Raylor. That club was basically designed to get balls out of the rough. I have also found it to be good off of the fairway too. I just bought mine this winter and there is still snow on the ground so I can't clerify with any experience whether or not it lives up to the hype.

DITTO

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

• 1 year later...

i personally feel a club designed to be hit out of the rough is important. which is why i give the raylor my vote. Most reviews think its not a short-grass shooter, but i beg to differ. A hybrid is designed to be a fairway wood with a smaller head and shorter shaft meaning you might need to make your swing approach a little more vertical and steep to take a divot. And the leading edge of this club makes getting to the ground enough easy, but not duff like rounded-sole clubs.

Also a club that might as well be the exact same as the raylor but the sole is not as severely angled is the tour edge exotics trilogy fairway wood. They also make it as a hybrid. I think if someone has the gull to pull the trigger on this club it might be one of the best out there. Especially when exotics have possibly the longest fairway woods on the market. I havent tried it, but considering its design and the fact that i have a TEE 3 wood, it wins a vote as well.

You guys are such enablers. I was at Golfsmith at lunch hour & picked up a used 22° Raylor in MINT condition for $50 - it's the new design.     I spend alot of time in the deep rough when I more times than not miss the fairway, so I'm looking forward to trying the V shaped base on the Raylor - like several have said - it's made to handle rough.       I've always heard hybrids are rescue clubs & never had much luck with them from the rough, but found out here, I wasn't using the right ones for the job.     Thx & report to follow ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a Cleveland Mashie M4 and it's a serious gardening tool when you're in the (heavy) rough. I am looking for a deal on a Raylor becuase I've heard so many great things about them. I'd like to compare the two side-by-side.

910D2 9.5°
 Baffler Rail Fairway 3F 15.5°
IDEA Tech V3 3i 19°

G20 Hybrid  23°
JPX800PRO 5-GW

SM 56°, 64°
  KOMBI-S Mid 43"

PLayed the Raylor last night for 9 holes for the 1st time & I only had 2 opportunities to use it out of the rough - that small head & v base seemed to work - passed through the heavy rough well.     I think it's a keeper - need to give it a couple more rounds, but so far, I like it ...

Originally Posted by beachgolfer

I have a Cleveland Mashie M4 and it's a serious gardening tool when you're in the (heavy) rough. I am looking for a deal on a Raylor becuase I've heard so many great things about them. I'd like to compare the two side-by-side.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'm liking my Adams Idea Pro A12 out of the rough these days.  I picked it up cheap on eBay after reading a lot of positive reviews on it.  I like it better than any other hybrid I've used out of the rough, including the 910h and Razr X hybrids.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!