IGNORED

Haney Project: Romano

kfowler
Note: This thread is 5041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After watching the first three episodes I'm growing tired of the whole concept. This isn't a show about how an average hacker can be taught to play better golf, but rather about personalities and the way they clash/interect during the course of golf lessons. Maybe this clash of personalities will evolve as Ray's game progresses (or declines), but ultimately it's just rehashing the same dynamic. I'd be a lot more interested in the show being much more technical regarding Ray's actual game and the way a top tier pro like Haney goes about fixing/changing it for the better. Imagine the resources available to the GC and how state of the art they could get in addressing the problems of a typical hacker. But rather than produce a show about the golf swing that might actually be interesting and enlightening they give us this tired old reality show pabulum.

Excellent observation, Chief. I don't know who the Golf Channel is targetting their shows to these days. It certainly doesn't seem to be golfers, except maybe those who have the dough to buy the Hammer, the Medicus, the Momentus and the Abtoner! Oh, for the good old days of Golf Talk and Golf Academy Live.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent observation, Chief. I don't know who the Golf Channel is targetting their shows to these days. It certainly doesn't seem to be golfers, except maybe those who have the dough to buy the Hammer, the Medicus, the Momentus and the Abtoner! Oh, for the good old days of Golf Talk and Golf Academy Live.

I agree, but to answer your question about the target audience - it is a lowest common denominator. Think of the two latest shows TGC is offering now: the Haney show which either gives us a celebrity train wreck of a swing (Barkley) or a stand up comic's "humerous" banter and angst (both celebs appealing to a lower demographic class, or we get "Being John Daly" which should really only appeal to the lowest common denominator demographic possible - disciples of John who tend to whine "Can't anyone give this poor guy a break?". Let's face it, neither of these shows are likely to draw in Mercedes, Barklays, and Grey Goose as high paying advertisers. I wouldn't think of it as targeting those that have the dough to buy the Hammer or Abtoner, but those that ONLY have the dough to buy such products and not much more.

The unfortunate fact is that when TGC was offering more intellectual content they were a money losing company, and now that they have changed to appeal to a much broader (or in my opinion "lower") demographic, they are a profitable company. It's just business, pure and simple. It is no different than many of the other TV channels that have to resort to providing pablum "entertainment" for the masses - the history of low brow programming and explosion of reality shows are driven by the need to survive in a very cutthroat business. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a whole bunch of Hammer and Abtoner infomercials TiVo'ed that need watching......

....The unfortunate fact is that when TGC was offering more intellectual content they were a money losing company, and now that they have changed to appeal to a much broader (or in my opinion "lower") demographic, they are a profitable company....

While I agree with the analysis of the "entertainment" factor, TGC does not only produce this "garbage" as some are calling it. They do have more technical shows. The Fix comes to mind...these folks revamped the format and upgraded their tech package 1000% from the previous season. Highly technical and informative show. They even take videos from viewers, show it during the show and critique it. You cannot get more interactive and technical than that. three different types of turf to explain how to deal with them, pitching, putting, irons, drivers.....they get pretty technical on explanations of hot to...

As for other technical aspects of the game, they also have shows like playing with the pros...or lessons from the pros....something to that effect. In which they take a mid to low handicapper (often celebrity) and pair them with a Pro and he/she comments on the process. And finally, the big break.....while they do not go out and teach technique, the drills are certainly interesting enough to test at home courses. Let's not get our panties in bunch over a show like this....I may not have a medicus driver, nor an abtoner, nor do I own any product made by Ronco, but I do enjoy the show....I am golf fanatic and listen, read, and consume everything golf. I find the show an entertaining aspect of golf, sometime you learn something....most of the times I just laugh about the antics. I'm not sure that TGC needs to be technical all the time....mix it up a little and keep it fresh. Mu only complaint of TGC, is with the FIX....Michael Breed sounds as if he is on uppers....or a 6-pack of red bull prior to the show....slow it down a bit
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Oh, for the good old days of Golf Talk and Golf Academy Live.

It's not that the inclusion of the human interest side is bad, but rather that is all the producers seem to want to show. I'd like to see Hank take Ray to some high tech facility and go in depth about his game/swing. We'd all be interested to see that, and they could still show the witty repartee and hilarious miss hits at the pro-ams and charity events. Doing one doesn't preclude the other. It almost makes me think that Haney doesn't want us to know his "secrets". Maybe it's a fail safe mechanism for him? This way if Ray fails we can't blame Hank's teaching. But it just comes across as a cop out to me. Maybe the reality the producers are scared to show is that golf is a hard game and that there aren't any quick fixes that will make you a better golfer. A show about that certainly wouldn't attract advertisers of quick fix golf training aids and instructional videos.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

So, basically we get to learn nothing huh? Except that Ray has memorized all the countries in Africa. Seriously, are we to learn nothing helpful in this show? I'd rather watch Haney teach a nobody real skills than watch this forced comedy.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

What do you think of Hank's idea to hold the club in the palm more? I'm sure it has been discussed at length, but i am a nubbie. Thought I might try it, i'll try anything. What is it suppose to help?

Heck....it worked for Tiger....or at least that's what Haney said. I watched that show tonight and those comments really had me thinking of tweaking my grip. I've always been scared to try it.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I agree with most of the posters. Romano is a poor student who focuses on his next witty comeback instead of listening to Hank. For a guy who seems desparate to improve, he sure gets in his own way. Haney, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the patience or tools to effectively connect with hacks or mid handicaps.

What bothers me the most is the lack of camera time spent on instruction. Mindless banter from Romano, airplane ride footage, and input from Romano's wife leaves about 5 minutes of actual instruction. To top it off, each show replays footage from the previous shows.

I thought I'd get some insight to help my game but it is nothing more than a bad reality show.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

i thought Ray's wife had a better swing than he did. she hit that nice little draw when they showed her...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with most of the posters. Romano is a poor student who focuses on his next witty comeback instead of listening to Hank. For a guy who seems desparate to improve, he sure gets in his own way. Haney, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the patience or tools to effectively connect with hacks or mid handicaps.

This is the problem with most people in general who take golf lessons. I've been told again, and again, and again, and again about how great of a student I am, because I actually make the change, and stick with it. Most people don't have the discipline to really change, they know what they need to do, but don't do it for fear of not hitting the ball.

One thing I notice, is that everytime I make a big change, I can't hit the ball worth a damn for a few days, but when my body finally gets used to it, I smash it like never before, and each time it gets better. My bad mishits have gotten much better, to the point where I could probably score 95 during a period of change, but I still get frustrated, and think about reverting. That's where I am different than most, I keep at it until it works. My swing still has a long, long way to go, but I'm confident that a little change at a time is all it takes to get better.

This! I really wanted to be apart of seeing Ray break 80 (I'm working on breaking 90 myself), and get some tips, root for him, etc.. Silly me, I thought that was the point of the show....

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

i agree, i also want to see much more instruction.

and it kinda seems to me that haney's teaching is above rays head. he gets really confused and really expects to get worse then slowly get better. it seems like he needs to learn one thing at a time. sure tiger knows what to do when haney tells him to do three things at once, but for an amatuer that would just be confusing and would take really long for them to pick it up.

• Administrator
and it kinda seems to me that haney's teaching is above rays head. he gets really confused and really expects to get worse then slowly get better.

And I would suggest that's Hank's fault, not Ray's...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i agree that he is not a great learner and that his attitude and mindset are not helping him. but think about how hard it is when you are thinking of 5 things while you are swinging...how hard is it to do even one of them then. thats why i say that it would be easier to learn one thing at a time before doing other things.

like with ray he needs to get his takeaway on plane which is really what they are working on most. teaching is manipulating thoughts. you need to help his mind slow down and to learn, understand, and feel what his takeaway should feel like to stay on plane. then once he doesnt have to think about it, then move to the next thing....i guess it is just looking like it is more difficult than it should be.

i would say my main point really goes along with a poll that i just saw about getting better right away or getting worse before you get better. my point is that you will get worse before you get better if you are totally tearing down your swing starting over. that means that you will need to do and think about many things at one time. think about your mindset in that moment. it is very stressful, there are too many things in your mind at once, everything feels very foreign and it doesnt feel like you are doing it right.

why not use the swing you have now. you already have a base of things that you do well. those are things you can build off of. then you just need to make one adjustment at a time. then you will get better right away after each adjustment. you could be slowly reworking your entire swing over time, but you will understand it, feel it, and have much more control over it if you learn it this way, by mastering small adjustments than if you totally get stunned with tons of things at once and need to use your confused mind to sort it all out over time.

and it seems like they are taking the difficult approach to me...

Hank's wife is hot. I thought it was his daughter but I digress.

mabye student taught master on that one

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

What do you guys think ray would score if he played 18 at this current point in the show? Last night was the half way mark and they have not mentioned one score. Does anyone think he will actually break 80?

What do you guys think ray would score if he played 18 at this current point in the show? Last night was the half way mark and they have not mentioned one score. Does anyone think he will actually break 80?

I think it's 50-50 at this point. Ray can't seem to stop flipping his hands over the plane and coming over the top. That's just one of his problems that I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Still though, you can break 80 with a shitty swing as long as you account for it and have a consistent, predictable miss. That's the only way I can see Romano breaking 80 between now and the show's finale. It's definitely possible that he puts it all together for 18 straight holes, but will that really "prove" to me that he is "fixed" and that Haney is a good teacher? No. I'd imagine if he did break 80, his very next round would be like a 101 or something.

Constantine

I caught a bit of the show last night - it was on in the background while I was doing something else. How bad was the stuff they edited out?

I didn't see enough of Ray's swing or Hank's teaching methods to say whether or not Ray could break 100 any time soon. I saw too much of poker night and has-been comedians.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!