Sign in to follow this  
cdriver

The Scramble from H*ll!

Note: This thread is 5025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 posts / 1365 viewsLast Reply

I spent last Thursday afternoon playing in a company scramble that was supposed to be a fun time built into a 4 day meeting we were attending. We went to a nice course (Belvedere Country Club in Hot Springs, AR) and it was in wonderful condition except for some tramp grass on some of the greens. It didn't look like they had done anything to address the problem, just mowed it with the rest of the green.

That wasn't the bad part.. Every time we have one of these company scrambles, I always get a foursome with other guys who don't play the game at all. I am far and away the best golfer in this region of my company, so when they set up the teams, they put me with guys who don't play. All the teams are pretty equal except for mine and the executive team. It is always packed with the best of the second tier golfers and they always win. My team always ends up second or third because I just cannot compensate alone for the others. It is very frustrating. The other 3 guys will hit and not a single one of them has hit a playable ball. Then they stand back and expect me to perform a miracle. The team ends up shooting to my handicap, which in a scramble, is useless.

I enjoy the company of the other guys, but I am too competitive to enjoy this particular outing. Anyone else have this kind of problem or am I just being a butt???

I feel for ya and I know there is not much you can say or do with these folks cause they will only get upset with you if you protest their actions. You either have to be satisfied with the situation or not play at all, it appears to me. Do your best and hang in there. You might see if you can get on one of the better teams even tho they are rating you as an A player.

I feel for you. I've played in a few scrambles that were charity fundraisers and seem to be made up of 50% non-golfers. Its not very fun playing when you know theres basically no chance to win.

at where i work there is a golf society, and coincidentally the same people end up in the same group every month, even more of a coincidance is they also end up in more or less the same order of teeing off times, its amazing considering they claim its a random draw!

There's not a lot you can do, except raise a big stink and get shot down by the company's higher workers.

Risk your job or winning your company scramble....

All the teams are pretty equal except for mine and the executive team. It is always packed with the best of the second tier golfers and they always win. My team always ends up second or third because I just cannot compensate alone for the others. It is very frustrating. The other 3 guys will hit and not a single one of them has hit a playable ball. Then they stand back and expect me to perform a miracle. The team ends up shooting to my handicap, which in a scramble, is useless.

Sounds to me like that scene in Mr. Mom where they go to (CEO) Ron's mansion to do the olympics competition. "Ron's won it six years straight" "Its his competition, he always wins. he's the boss." Then when Michael Keaton is winning they ask Terry Garr "whats he doing?" "he's winning" Then he takes a dive. You have to pretend you're Michael Keaton. Great Movie.

Ron: You gonna run a 220 line? Michael Keaton: 220, 221. Whatever it takes. Ron: You sound like a pretty handy guy.

I enjoy the company of the other guys, but I am too competitive to enjoy this particular outing. Anyone else have this kind of problem or am I just being a butt???

I've been there before. The same thing happened to me in college when it was time to play intermural basketball. I had played two years of varsity basketball before transfering. I sat out that year and decided to play intermurals. I had offers to play with quite a few good teams but after some prodding, elected to play with the guys from my dorm floor. Huge mistake on my part. They were in it to play ball. I was in it to win the championship. We went 2-3 and didn't qualify for the playoffs. I was absolutely livid and not real pleasant to be arround. The other team that I was going to play with lost in the finals. At that point I decided that I will never play on a team that is made up of friends unless I know they can play. I played the next two years with the team that lost in the finals and we won two championships. They also became good friends of mine.

Ron: You gonna run a 220 line?

That is one of the all time great movie lines. I still use it whenever I am running electric on a project.

Volunteer to help set up the teams next year. Tell them you have this great "Scramble-Ware" on your PC and would gladly take that chore out of their hands. Set 'em up the way you want and problem solved.

Volunteer to help set up the teams next year. Tell them you have this great "Scramble-Ware" on your PC and would gladly take that chore out of their hands. Set 'em up the way you want and problem solved.

Great Idea.. I'll have to try it out.

Thanks

Note: This thread is 5025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!