Sign in to follow this  
chriskzoo

Putting grips on backwards?

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 posts / 5260 viewsLast Reply

I was just reading the Golf Digest that came today with WITB and Tim Clark and he says that he uses the GOlf Pride Tour Velvet grips, turned backwards. I assume this is so the logo is on the underside of the shaft and is not a distraction in case it is put on slightly crooked.

Anyone else do this? I just looked at my sand wedge and realized that I gripped it the same way - even though it's a Decade Multicompound.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Anyone else do this? I just looked at my sand wedge and realized that I gripped it the same way - even though it's a Decade Multicompound.

NDMCs have an angled bit and are most often put on the proper way.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This sounds interesting. I look at the back of the Mizuno M-21 grips, and it looks almost blank. Maybe I'll do this my next re-gripping.

I like looking at the logo, it helps me line it up. Especially with the New Decade Multi Compound, I don't like the look of the underside.

I've had some issues with the mineral spirits flashing off and not getting to rotate the grip into the right position before the glue sets, so I'm going to start putting the logo down if possible. Some grips need to go logo-up though, such as Royal MCT or Gold Pride MC

Not for me....I like mine installed the conventional way.

I think it'd be highly counterproductive to put the NDMC grips on "backwards". The wrap contour and postiions of the different textured sections are well placed for my hands.

I guess on Tour Velvets and other types it really doesn't matter.

My tour velvet cords are also logo down. Always just preferred it that way. NDMC's on the other hand, should be orientated correctly IMHO.

I was reading the same article just a few minutes ago in my first block. All of my clubs have the Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round grip with the logo underneath(which is the proper terminology). It looks more professional to me, plus I just never liked the logo there. Everyone's different. Doesn't really help any, just a mere visual preference I guess.

All my shaft bands are logo down and my tour velvet grips are as well.

Why the shaft bands? I've never heard or seen that before….

You got to look good before you play good!

Logo-down looks good

? My logos are down but it has nothing to do with aesthetics.

Why the shaft bands? I've never heard or seen that before….

Well I guess they aren't technically the bands, but I have the dynamic black gold shafts and similar to project x they have the big band on the shaft. I know that all project x's are usually down, but i shafted my own clubs up and had the choice.

I have always used ribbed grips, so right side up is all I have ever done. It being a possible distraction is a fair explanation. I always thought the tour guys did it for the possible picture of them in a follow through on a magazine cover, the golf pride logo displays perfectly.

I have always used ribbed grips, so right side up is all I have ever done.

Funny story, when I ordered my irons from Taylormade last year...they sent them to me with ribbed grips...with the ribbing on top (above, W/e)...and that sucked until I could afford to purchase/pay my pro to redo them with normal velvets :P

I like having the aim line up, because not all clubs look square at address. I notice that some clubs may look a touch open or closed, based on shape, or roll. I like the sight line to be up so I can have visual reminder of where the center is.

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!