IGNORED

Fat Shots

Note: This thread is 5159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im just curious as to what causes fat shots? my ironplay is pretty solid at the moment but when i do have an off day its fat shots that cause me trouble, what causes them , are there any good drills/thoughts for fixing it when they pop up

• Administrator
im just curious as to what causes fat shots? my ironplay is pretty solid at the moment but when i do have an off day its fat shots that cause me trouble, what causes them , are there any good drills/thoughts for fixing it when they pop up

1. Weight not forward enough at impact.

2. Flipping. That's about it. I suppose it could also be "you bend over coming into impact" but Charles Barkley's about the only guy to do that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh my, if golf was all about how many fat shots you can make, then I would win! I have never thinned one in my life, literally. I.....am.....a......scooper. I have never learned the feeling of hands ahead / ball first contact. My instructor and I dedicated our whole lesson to learning that feeling. We started with chips, then on to 1/2 swings, really overdoing the "hands ahead" feeling. I think we are on to something, and I can safely say that, if you get your hands through impact properly ahead of the ball first, then "chunking" is actually a hard thing to do!

If you dip your head at the beginning of the downswing and never return it, that could cause fat shots.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A fat shot is when you hit the big ball before the little ball. Try the following:

1) make sure that your hands are extended towards the ground with the club in your hand, yet relaxed and without tension
2) you might be swaying so practice swing a golf club with your feet together. This will prevent you from swaying otherwise you will lose your balance and fall down. You could also hit ball this way.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I feel your pain. I had a bad spell last year where I was chunkin' it way too much. I did a lot of research and found these are the causes (in no particular order):

1. Body/head movement. If you're lunging at the ball, obviously it will be difficult to make solid contact
2. Casting (or flipping as another described it) the club. This is when you flip or cup your wrists before impact. Watch the Taly video on the main page of this site, it has a good description of body position at impact.
3. Improper swing plane - do a search on Youtube for "haney fat shots" and you'll find the video for this.
4. Not getting back to your left side (if you're a righty).

Actually, if you do a search on Youtube of "golf fat shots" you'll get a bunch of good instructional videos to help you out.

I found my problem was #2, #3, and #4, so I worked on incorporating various parts of those in my practice.

Good luck.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

Food for thought, a fat shot and a thing shot are generally caused by the same issue. Only difference in a thin shot is you try and save the shot by separating your elbows.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Fat shots can be caused by your swing bottom happening before the ball vs. after the ball. I would focus on transferring your weight over to your left side during the down swing while maintaining lag. Casting (which was previously mentioned) could also be a definite cause which from throwing away your lag to early.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 5159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!