IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a high handicapper, this is encouraging to hear. Last summer I was working on my driving consistently (for the first time ever) and at the peek I was hitting my no-name-brand 3-wood 210 yards plus roll 1 out of 4 times, and averaging about 190 yards. (The range I hit at had 50% used balls with a range strip painted on them, so they were mostly normal balls.) Not impressive, but I was pleased with myself. I just couldn't imagine switching to a driver, even a good driver, and gaining an average of more than 20, maybe 30, yards on equally good hits. I know I don't have a fast of swing, but hearing from people with 15 - 20 handicaps claiming to hit the ball 250 on average made me feel that attaining a 20 HCP was a looong way off for me.

NO NO NO NO NO NO The driver doesnt determine a low handicap. Its more about the short game and putting. I 've been hitting driver like a maniac for a while now. getting the occasional good shot and and the horrible out of bounds or on the other fairway but I make up with a solid short game. work from short game (chipping and putting). My friends are about 20 handicaps and they hit the ball straight most of the time. I'ts usually a guessing game from the tee for me but once Im around the green I catch up and either tie the hole or beat them by 1. They tend to have more 3 putts and chip to far from the hole. I credit my 13HC to my short game. once I straighen out the drive I hope to be below 10HC.

MB 710 Iron Set 5-PW Blades Steel Shafts,
Vokey Design Spin Milled Wedges 52,56,60
hybore 2iH, 3iH, 5W, Driver XL, Putter
Balls "Pro V1's", " Callaway Warbirds"
Career Low Round: 79

Yeah, then how come it's almost impossible to find someone with a fundamentally good swing that is more than about a 5 handicap? The fact of the matter is, short game is highly overrated. Tour pros go on and on about short game because that's what separates a winner from an also ran. But that's among players with amazing swings. But when you're a 10+ handicap, the vast majority of your improvements need to be in the long game.

I agree 100% with what you are saying, and I've said it on this forum before and most thought I was crazy. I finally found someone that agrees with me! I've never ever practiced my short game, ever. Unless you count chipping and putting for 5 minutes before a round "practice." At one time last year I was down to a 9 handicap by just working on my swing and findng ways to hit more GIR. Not saying being a 9 handicap is anything special, but it's decent enough. I think the short game thing is overrated for the average weekend player. You loose way more strokes with bad swings, hazards, OB, etc.

I've realized now that I need to sharpen my short game (along with continuing to work on my swing) if I want to get better from this level. But as a 20, 25, 28 handicap I could hardly put a solid club on the ball more than once or twice a round so I decided that's what I needed to work on and it paid off.

I agree 100% with what you are saying, and I've said it on this forum before and most thought I was crazy. I finally found someone that agrees with me! I've never ever practiced my short game, ever. Unless you count chipping and putting for 5 minutes before a round "practice." At one time last year I was down to a 9 handicap by just working on my swing and findng ways to hit more GIR. Not saying being a 9 handicap is anything special, but it's decent enough. I think the short game thing is overrated for the average weekend player. You loose way more strokes with bad swings, hazards, OB, etc.

+1, someone sees the light!

NO NO NO NO NO NO The driver doesnt determine a low handicap. Its more about the short game and putting. I 've been hitting driver like a maniac for a while now. getting the occasional good shot and and the horrible out of bounds or on the other fairway but I make up with a solid short game. work from short game (chipping and putting). My friends are about 20 handicaps and they hit the ball straight most of the time. I'ts usually a guessing game from the tee for me but once Im around the green I catch up and either tie the hole or beat them by 1. They tend to have more 3 putts and chip to far from the hole. I credit my 13HC to my short game. once I straighen out the drive I hope to be below 10HC.

-1. Maybe you are the exception to the rule.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm the complete opposite.

My driver is why I have a 13 handicap, I can smash it down the fairway consistently. I don't hit shot's OB with the driver. It all depends where your strength's are, I hit a lot of GIR's but I'm not that close to the hole so I 3 putt a lot. Ballstriking is what makes a single digit handicapper.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Control is a major factor that I would attribute to better players increasing their average by keeping the ball in play. That is the correlation with handicap that I imagined. The less mishits the longer drives are going to be in general. However 'respectability' is still a subjective term. Personally for an 8hc I would define 250 yard drives as respectable, 300 as monumental and 215 as minimal. I personally went from 220 av inc carry to 240 by changing to a stiffer shaft and I must say I appreciate that extra yardage, so much.

I should also mention that it depends on how muchtime you have to practice. If I had unlimited time to practice then sure I'd devote time to the short game. But with a full time job, 2 young kids at home, it's hard enough to find time to play nevermind practice. I've always felt that my time was better working on the long game.

+1, someone sees the light!

I think so... But the day i hit a 79 I hit a lot of fairways and the full swing was banging!!!

MB 710 Iron Set 5-PW Blades Steel Shafts,
Vokey Design Spin Milled Wedges 52,56,60
hybore 2iH, 3iH, 5W, Driver XL, Putter
Balls "Pro V1's", " Callaway Warbirds"
Career Low Round: 79

When all aspects of the game are equally good/ bad, then what aspect of the game do you prioritise?

Driving: Even as a good player the only penalty strokes I am relatively likely to incur are for three off the tee. I can't fall foul of similar penalties at or about the green. Therefore its a priority area.

Approach Mid Irons/Pitch: If I hit GIRs I have a birdie chance, if I miss it's often going to be bogey. A major priority as it is the pivotal shot.

Chip: Crucial whenever I miss GIR but solution no 1 would be to not miss with my irons on approach.

Putt: Once I get to a very low HC I'll look into being a complete expert. So long as I can relaibly two putt after hitting a GIR it's polished enough. So long as you aren't throwing strokes away getting a long putt close and then finishing it off is acceptable imo.

Putt . . . So long as you aren't throwing strokes away . . .

That's where my game is right now. I rarely hit the ball OB (did I just jinx myself?) and my approaches are typically either on the green or very close to it, but I miss a lot of birdie opportunities and still 3-putt too often - including twice yesterday : (

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

WHY is it that golfers repeatedly on golf forums repeat the following post - with slight variances

The guy hits it 280 yards, but I laugh as I put my iron closer and he generally misses the green and 3 putts - I usually tie the hole or beat him by one.

SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE BUTTHE FACT is, the LONG HITTER is more likely to win the hole than the short hitter FACT.

Why is it that someone can have a golf swing that is capable of hitting the ball a long way but is automatically inept in other areas? The answer is that is just blain BS, the long hitter is more likely to win ANY GIVEN HOLE.

My old man is a prime example, he has a lot of skill, is very consistent, rolls in lots of putts, but NEVER beats me, the reason being he hits the ball just about 220 yards - He simply does not have the power to play the golf course as he likes (power = options) - course is 6650 yards with little run at sea level - some par 4s he aint reaching and I am hitting wedges, OF course on some holes he does win OBVIOUSLY but the fact is POWER is VERY important if you want to play to a certain level. He is a 10 handicap UK = approx 7 in the USA - but he will NEVER get better as the course is so long for him.

WHY is it that golfers repeatedly on golf forums repeat the following post - with slight variances

Yeah, come to think of it I do see that often on forums. On the course if I hit a good drive past other players in my league I'm sometimes accused of "swinging out of my shoes" to achieve the distance. And it's really not that far, it's just that they are extrmely short so it just seems far.

I play with a guy like that. If I hit my ball 25 yards past him I obviously hit it 300 yards, because he always hits his 275. LOL. I don't say anything, I just laugh to myself.

Had this happen last night. Me and another single were playing and we both hit great drives at the par-4 8th hole. It was slightly into the wind, but I measured my drive (GPS) at 239. It had the flight path/arc that generally means I put a great swing on it, and it looked like it was crushed. I wasn't surprised at the distance, because I measure every tee shot and I realize that when I 'crush' it, it can go anywhere from 220 to 280, depending on the course conditions, weather, wind and my launch angle.

My playing partner was about 10 yards short of me, and he assumed my drive was 270 and his was 260. Usually when people do that I just say "yeah, sure" and let it go. However, he was more asking than guessing, so I said, "no, I have mine at about 240." He was pretty stunned and said he generally hits it about 250. "Well, it's a bit into the wind," I replied. But yeah, generally people just overestimate their drives (some without realizing), which serves as their baseline for all comparisons and golf discussion. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Anybody remember that kid awhile back on here that posted that he averaged 300 yards and everyone gave him shit so he shot that video on home course with a pocket full of top flights? He hit all but one to about 300 yards. The funniest part was after posting that to shut people up someone else posted. "Yea but that's because your hitting rocks for golf balls"

How did everybody know it went 300 yards from the video? Yardage markers?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Anybody remember that kid awhile back on here that posted that he averaged 300 yards and everyone gave him shit so he shot that video on home course with a pocket full of top flights? He hit all but one to about 300 yards. The funniest part was after posting that to shut people up someone else posted. "Yea but that's because your hitting rocks for golf balls"

no, i dont. do you think you could find it?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

haha that's funny. still probably 290 with a softer feel ball.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

An example of where crap information on driving distance comes from

MY local range in Scotland is meant to be a national fitting centre,

I told the head pro, that the distances were wrong as I know for a fact I cannot hit my clubs as far as was claimed

The marker said it was 315 yards to the fence where I was hitting (I always go to the longest part of the range) - I told him it was wrong and he said he knew its actually only around 285.

Now remember this is the head pro -

THE ACTUAL DISTANCE IS 260 YARDS!!!!!!!!!

I can knock my hybrid out the range and the first time I went to the range I though someone must have turned the gravity off as I was hitting my hybrid over a 40foot fence at 315 yards!

EVERYONE chooses to believe the distances though and on the course never question why they dont hit it as far - I should mention, hardly anyone EVER reaches the fence

Why DO people automatically think on the course that there is something wrong as they were hitting 300 at the range and rarely think, why is it I only hit 250 on the course and yet the range tells me 300?!

k

Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!