IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, i guess i never really thought about this. good thread and one i need to continue to come back to to giv emyself a reality check. When hitting the driver well( which i am not currently) carry distances were solidly around 260-275(occasional shots rolling out to 300+). I have since not been able to keep most driver shots on the course so that has been a little bit difficult, and been more around 235-250. I then get rattled and try to force my way back up to the 260-275 range and then things go majorly array.

Have to remember that 250 is a long way out and to continue to stay within my means. 

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

Threads like these depress me , especially now with my GPS Watch, I know how far I *really* hit a driver. I guess I should just concentrate on what I have and make the best of it.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Threads like these depress me , especially now with my GPS Watch, I know how far I *really* hit a driver. I guess I should just concentrate on what I have and make the best of it.

Amen. +1 for advice

Wayne

5 hours ago, Ks golf said:

250 yards is not only respectable, it is a phenomenal carry distance. Very few people I know can consistently carry that distance. 

It's huge I must admit. Total carry and roll is attainable but to carry it. Taking into account my range is uphill with the balls and winter here I can carry the 200 yard marker according to Google earth it's over 80 yards to the back hedge it seems so far away hard to believe the likes of Mcilroy and Co are clearing that hedge.

It's also comforting to know that game golf doesn't lie and there are loads of golfers my age and handicap not hitting it any further than I do

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Recently played with this very nice young guy who was hitting irons at least 250 consistently. One hole is a 337 yard carry over water, but although he thought he "might" be able to reach the green,  he opted to lay up. He was 2 under the whole round but bogeyed 18. Not a pro, just a good athlete, played indoor volleyball in college. One of the nicest young men I have ever met. He works in a bank near Oceanside. Classic, swing, very smooth. One thing I noticed was he took care in his posture and making sure he had a steady base.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

20 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

It's also comforting to know that game golf doesn't lie 

I love that about golf. There is no faking it. 

33 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

there are loads of golfers my age and handicap not hitting it any further than I do

This is what I've taken from a lot of recent threads on this topic and it supports what I see on the few occasions when I play with others.

I also think this site is made up of a lot of players much better than me or those I've played with.

Most of the guys I've played alongside are hacks, but the one exception last year had a handicap similar to you @Brakkus. I was impressed by how well he played. Both he and his wife told me he was "on" that day and playing better than usual, but it was a pleasure to see golf played that well (by my standards anyway).

True to the stats, he not only kept the ball in play and putted very well, but he outdrove me by a good distance even though he was almost ten years older.

Jon

So if you take 250 as a carry distance for your Driver, your other clubs carry distances would look something like this.

Driver: 250

3-wood: 225

5-wood/2-hybrid: 210

7-wood/3-hybrid: 200

4-hybrid/4-iron: 193

5-iron: 180

6-iron: 170

7-iron: 160

8-iron: 148

9-iron: 135

PW: 123

GW: 108

SW: 93

LW: 78

This is assuming solid contact and average clubhead speed of slightly over 100 mph with the driver.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

3 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

So if you take 250 as a carry distance for your Driver, your other clubs carry distances would look something like this.

Driver: 250

3-wood: 225

5-wood/2-hybrid: 210

7-wood/3-hybrid: 200

4-hybrid/4-iron: 193

5-iron: 180

6-iron: 170

7-iron: 160

8-iron: 148

9-iron: 135

PW: 123

GW: 108

SW: 93

LW: 78

This is assuming solid contact and average clubhead speed of slightly over 100 mph with the driver.

That sounds about right.  At last check, my SS was 107/108 and my carry distances are all almost exactly the above number +10. :)

• Upvote 1

For me 250 yds would be a miracle.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

23 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I know this can vary hugely but under normal conditions, how much carry/roll might a 250-260 TOTAL drive have?

The thread is about 250 carry distance. 

Maybe 10 yards of roll on a 250 yard drive, bringing it up to 260.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

The thread is about 250 carry distance. 

Maybe 10 yards of roll on a 250 yard drive, bringing it up to 260.

You would probably figure a little more roll than 10 yards, unless you have some sort of unearthly high descent angle, I think the consensus is about 20 yards of roll in average ground conditions. Which takes you around 270.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

44 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Golf message boards, though, are another matter. 

But nowadays, video/radar/Game Golf/etc... , or its not true. If someone's not providing those for backup, then dubious.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!