IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/6/2017 at 2:09 PM, Golfingdad said:

That sounds about right.  At last check, my SS was 107/108 and my carry distances are all almost exactly the above number +10. :)

I was going to say that the irons seemed a little short too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have a handicap, but do play to about a 15. Paying attention to actual driver carry lately has been humbling. But my swing has been morphed this winter with a pro and I'm looking forward to new golf this year. Regarding this thread...yeah, a 230 yd drive down the fairway looks like 3 bills...

• Upvote 1

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2010 at 7:39 PM, Amofada said:

250 isnt respectable. Unless you're a girl. I can hit the ball 300 yards easily if I put my good swing on. It won't aways be in the fairway or even playig field but at least I'm abe to walk of the course feeing like a man

I am not sure i am getting the meaning of this.........

• Upvote 1

People are funny,I was at the range the other day and there were three guys in the stall beside me,they were having a bit of fun seeing who could drive the farthest.Each one proclaimed their drives to have reached the back fence,which is 250 metres . So I started payin close attention.Too my eye none of their drives made it half way to the fence,but they left in high spirits patting each others backs estimating their drives at about 280/290 yards.(Sad to admit they were driving farther and straighter than me,but at least I'm not deluded).

3 hours ago, casamarina said:

I think it is a delusion that the poster has in their dreams.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, casamarina said:

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think it is a delusion that the poster has in their dreams.

He later admiitted he was just joking around and told people to lighten up about his humor. 

I guess he didn't realize that people write that stuff who aren't joking too!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Like I said in a previous post, 250 yards total isn't achieved by many. My GameGolf says I only average 227 yds. I figured out by taking out the outliers and complete mishits, GG is pretty close. 

I have contact issues at time, but I've been known to absolutely crush a golf ball at times, but those are outliers. Now I'm trying to be more consistent.

This thread should be titled 250 yards is an incredible carry distance.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 6/1/2017 at 7:04 PM, onthehunt526 said:

So if you take 250 as a carry distance for your Driver, your other clubs carry distances would look something like this.

Driver: 250

3-wood: 225

5-wood/2-hybrid: 210

7-wood/3-hybrid: 200

4-hybrid/4-iron: 193

5-iron: 180

6-iron: 170

7-iron: 160

8-iron: 148

9-iron: 135

PW: 123

GW: 108

SW: 93

LW: 78

This is assuming solid contact and average clubhead speed of slightly over 100 mph with the driver.

I play a 0 handicap and this are (+- 2,3 yards) my average carry for each club. On scratch tournaments some hit it farther than me, and some shorter. 

On 10/1/2017 at 9:57 AM, chilepepper said:

250 is great. But if you dispersion is 80 yards wide well......

This is funny, that´s exactly my dispersion (40Left + 40Rigth)... for 90% of my golf shorts !! The others can go from 40 to 60 yards off target. im´working to reduce it.   

35 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I play a 0 handicap and this are (+- 2,3 yards) my average carry for each club. On scratch tournaments some hit it farther than me, and some shorter. 

This is funny, that´s exactly my dispersion (40Left + 40Rigth)... for 90% of my golf shorts !! The others can go from 40 to 60 yards off target. im´working to reduce it.   

I'm guessing people "forget" their dispersion into other fairways and don't really count those into their averages. :-D

Distances are hard to gauge. You might be carrying that distance with a ball that sticks like glue to the greens while his averages might  include some roll. There's a huge difference between the two shot types.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Played in an outing recently, 24 of us, I think I had the highest handicap of all golfers on 16. Longest drive of the day and closest to the pin on all par 3s were in play as side bets, the longest recorded drive in a field of 24 golfers of mostly single digit handicappers was 287 including roll-out... People are definitely over-estimating their drives

Edited by Dresilved
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dresilved said:

Played in an outing recently, 24 of us, I think I had the highest handicap of all golfers on 16. Longest drive of the day and closest to the pin on all par 3s were in play as side bets, the longest recorded drive in a field of 24 golfers of mostly single digit handicappers was 287 including roll-out... People are definitely over-estimating their drives

I'm sure it's true, and I have been guilty in the past, that some people over estimate their drives. However, many of us here use Game Golf and other devices to measure things anymore. So while not pinpoint, when we give our numbers we are being as accurate as we can.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

heck, I would settle for 250 yards in 2 sometimes

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

I'm sure it's true, and I have been guilty in the past, that some people over estimate their drives. However, many of us here use Game Golf and other devices to measure things anymore. So while not pinpoint, when we give our numbers we are being as accurate as we can.

I guess I meant in general, if you use a measuring device then fair enough, but for the majority who don't, they are almost always adding yardage, I do it myself and am totally aware i'm doing it, which probably makes me deluded 

4 minutes ago, Dresilved said:

I guess I meant in general, if you use a measuring device then fair enough, but for the majority who don't, they are almost always adding yardage, I do it myself and am totally aware i'm doing it, which probably makes me deluded 

It's easy to get a wrong number if you just go by the course markings and don't take into account cutting doglegs or curves in the hole. I remember when I'd cut a dogleg and have a short distance in to the green I'd think I hit it further than I did because I'd just subtract the distance left from the card distance. Or just having the yardages not correct in general too. That's part of the reason I took the extra step to start using something to give me more accurate measurements, and it took being on this forum for me to be corrected on how I came up with the distance I drove the ball. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

24 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It's easy to get a wrong number if you just go by the course markings and don't take into account cutting doglegs or curves in the hole. I remember when I'd cut a dogleg and have a short distance in to the green I'd think I hit it further than I did because I'd just subtract the distance left from the card distance. Or just having the yardages not correct in general too. That's part of the reason I took the extra step to start using something to give me more accurate measurements, and it took being on this forum for me to be corrected on how I came up with the distance I drove the ball. 

Thats all true.. I do use a golf app GPS and seems to be pretty decent within a few yards. I know for example if I'm 385Y from where i'm standing on tee box to center of green on a straight hole and my 2nd shot is measuring 135 standing over the ball to CoG, then I know I've hit somewhere in the neighborhood of a 250 drive. I know what that distance looks like in terms of ball shape and flight and I'm always disappointed as i feel like I've truly crushed it and it should be measuring 270 but never is. Ive heard loads of golfers say they hit 250-270 regularly, but rarely do i see it.. its just my experience, anecdotal evidence if you will?

well, I should have said I see 250 a fair enough amount of time but 270 is rare 

Edited by Dresilved

On 2/8/2017 at 6:06 AM, RandallT said:

He later admiitted he was just joking around and told people to lighten up about his humor. 

I guess he didn't realize that people write that stuff who aren't joking too!

So the thread isn't about our 7 iron swings?

Bill - 

On 1/6/2017 at 4:04 PM, onthehunt526 said:

So if you take 250 as a carry distance for your Driver, your other clubs carry distances would look something like this.

Driver: 250

3-wood: 225

5-wood/2-hybrid: 210

7-wood/3-hybrid: 200

4-hybrid/4-iron: 193

5-iron: 180

6-iron: 170

7-iron: 160

8-iron: 148

9-iron: 135

PW: 123

GW: 108

SW: 93

LW: 78

This is assuming solid contact and average clubhead speed of slightly over 100 mph with the driver.

These yardages are pretty close to spot on for me (according to Game Golf).  I did have 5 drives over the weekend between 295-303 yards but that was with a 20 mph tailwind!!  If I can get out there 250-260 yards with my driver I'm a happy dude.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!