IGNORED

My Swing (live4u120)

live4u120
Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you mean the backswing, the best drill i learned,

Get two flashlights or a laser pointer. Either tie the two flashlights together (end to end), or tape the laserpointer to the butt of a iron. Put a stick, old shaft, or club down the target line. Take your stance, were the flashlight is on the target line. You can do this with the base of the wall. Follow the light down the target line, hinge the wrist at the right point and the other light from the other flashlight should travel down the target line. This will tell you that the butt end of your club will be pointing at the ball/target line during the backswing. You can do the pump drill as well from the top of the swing, to get the downswing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read it as on the downswing. Not too many people actually have this problem. He's posted videos before, but I never saw the "too far inside" problem he is describing. Maybe he has changed his swing and it's a new problem? If so, new videos might help...

Why do you think the swingplane is too far inside? What is your ball flight and usual misses?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Why do you think the swingplane is too far inside? What is your ball flight and usual misses?

Clubface position has alot to do with it, but usually if you come too far from the inside you hit a push or a block.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

It's pretty dark outside, so taking a video must wait until tomorrow, but my usually path is a low draw, which occasionally sends a huge push, or a large hook.

I found this video from 2 days ago, it's what my swing was like, although now I'm trying to bring my backswing up straighter, if that's needed, but I'm not sure it is.

Also, should I make my backswing longer? Because that video shows a pretty short swing.

I found this video from 2 days ago, it's what my swing was like, although now I'm trying to bring my backswing up straighter, if that's needed, but I'm not sure it is.

Hi nice swing young man dont worry about your backswing it's fine trying to lengthen it would create more problems than it would solve. I think the reason you feel your coming to far inside is that your hands are very close to your legs at address, try taking up your stance without a club and let your hands hang naturaly there should be about a hands width between your legs and your hands. Good luck

The first thing i notice is that your to hunched over in the shoulders. The flex at the hip and knees look good, but the hunched over is bringing your hands to close to your body. so you are standing to close to the ball. you want to be able to draw a straight line from your tailbone to your head. With that you will find that you will probably need to stand away from the ball more to. Your swing plane looks good taking it back, I think your downswing would work its self out if you fixed your posture. I can't tell from this angle, but looks like you hang back on your right side a bit at impact. Don't worry about the backswing, if you feel like you have a full turn, then it doesn't matter if you reach parrallel. That will just throw off your timing, i would work on posture first.

Is your misses either pushes right or hooks left?

Also, i hope that is a plastic ball, or that truck might take a beating

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The first thing i notice is that your to hunched over in the shoulders. The flex at the hip and knees look good, but the hunched over is bringing your hands to close to your body. so you are standing to close to the ball. you want to be able to draw a straight line from your tailbone to your head. With that you will find that you will probably need to stand away from the ball more to. Your swing plane looks good taking it back, I think your downswing would work its self out if you fixed your posture. I can't tell from this angle, but looks like you hang back on your right side a bit at impact. Don't worry about the backswing, if you feel like you have a full turn, then it doesn't matter if you reach parrallel. That will just throw off your timing, i would work on posture first.

Haha, the balls are plastic. And thanks for the tip, I'll get working on that. I can definitely feel myself hanging back, because it leads to thin shots. And almost all of my misses are pushes now

Just another one of these threads, feel free to give any comments. I'd like to have one solid area of improvement that I could do some drills on, so I'll probably go by the most common tip.

Thanks guys!

Also, I shot a 90 today at the local golf course, which I think is around a 4 stroke improvement.

Without actually hitting a ball it is pretty tough to be critical. To me that looks like a nice practice swing before I step up to the ball... Maybe you can film yourself on the range rather than the backyard?

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

Looks pretty good. From this shot I would offer the advice of a bit more "heads up" posture. Lift your chin up to match your spine angle. Balance is paramount in a swing.
Hold this head position----not rigid of course---through the swing so it feels as if you are rotating about the head position.

Also at your age I would suggest reading Jim Hardy's book "The Plane Truth" Decide if you wish to be a one or two planer and go with the plan.

Have fun

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken two lessons so far into my 5 lesson period, and I can really see an improvement in my distance, consistency, and overall enjoyment of the game. I'm able to do so many more shots I couldn't before, and I wanted to share with you guys my swing I've been working on. Feel free to comment on anything.

P.S.
Please excuse my mother's commentary.

It sure looks a lot simpler, fewer moving parts, less violent.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I see less hip turn going back, slightly wider stance, and left foot stays planted better (probably from less hip turn). Looks good.

It's been interesting to read through this thread, and good to see your improvement. Of particular note, since taking lessons, it looks as if your ball position is a bit more forward in your stance, which is a good thing; I am of the opinion it should be further forward still, no further back than midway, so that your head is clearly behind the ball. If you will go back and check your videos, you will note your head actually gets in front of the ball at impact. This is especially true of the earlier videos, but the most recent one shows your head still slightly ahead of the ball. Head position at impact should be slightly behind the ball. At address, you should be looking down at the back of the ball.

It's been interesting to read through this thread, and good to see your improvement. Of particular note, since taking lessons, it looks as if your ball position is a bit more forward in your stance, which is a good thing; I am of the opinion it should be further forward still, no further back than midway, so that your head is clearly behind the ball. If you will go back and check your videos, you will note your head actually gets in front of the ball at impact. This is especially true of the earlier videos, but the most recent one shows your head still slightly ahead of the ball. Head position at impact should be slightly behind the ball. At address, you should be looking down at the back of the ball.

See, but when I do that, on the down swing, I feel like I'm having to reach out for the ball. It feels very strange, and I end up hitting very thin and to the right shots. What would you recommend doing about that?

Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!