IGNORED

Some people take golf a bit too seriously.

James_Black
Note: This thread is 5145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back in high school and in college I used to get mad. Not to the extent of some of the stories here. After I knew I was not going to play this game for a living I gave it up for 10 years. Just getting back to it this summer as I am much more mature and looking forward to seeing the game as "fun" and not a job. I look back and regret some of the things I did and am embarrassed about how I acted. Plus I know it ruined a few decent rounds I am sure. Luckily I have learned from my experiences and will teach my boys not to act like.

I was told a similar story about a guy who played at my course, he had a meltdown on the 13th and threw his entire bag in the lake and stormed off the course, when the rest of the 4 ball were leaving the 13th green he re-appeared on the fairway and climbed into the lake to retrieve the bag "come to his senses" they thought, he retrieved the bag, got his car keys and wallet out of the pouch and then threw the bag back in the lake and stormed off again :)

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

A couple of years ago I was having a frustrating round. I was driving well and putting well. I could not hit my irons to save my life. I ended up doing tons of very difficult scrambling and coming up to the 18th hole I was prepared for the worst. The hole is a difficult par 5 severe dogleg with a blind approach shot to the green. I had a great drive and then, as usual for that day, chunked my long iron leaving me 180 or so to the hole. I was really frustrated and kind of ran up to my ball with the same club, barely set up and just took a crazy whack at it. I nailed it dead center sweet spot and the ball had the most magnificent flight. I sat and watched it and a few seconds after iit disappeared the group on the practice green next to the 18th green let out a "Woohoo!" and I knew I nailed it close to the pin. Now here's the strange part...I got upset that I waited until my very last iron shot of the day to hit anything decent, sulked back to my bag and whacked the side of it with my 5 iron. That was pretty uncharacteristic for me even then (now I am quite mellow). I saw that I broke my club brush and felt like a jackass. Anyway, as I was loading my bag after the round into my car, the driver head and about 9 inches of attached shaft fell out. Yeah, I whacked my driver shaft in two. Lesson learned - it's a game, have fun. I've had a sense of humor about bad shots every since then - thankfully! I would have hated to have played with myself that day. Eh, you know what I mean...

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Reading this thread makes me glad I didn't take up golf until last year. As a teenager and in my early 20s I was a hotheaded idiot. I can definitely see myself having the same kind of reaction had I started playing back then.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

We have a guy in our mens golf association that gives us the ol' "We gotta have this one if we're gonna win anything today" on the first green. He's dead serious....

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

you've thrown your driver into the trees???

Ive snapped my driver over my leg and split my hand open, too. You recieve man points for this.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I hardly ever get upset with myself (except for the occasional curse about a sliced drive or a fat chip). Golf's a beautiful game, it's supposed to be fun. I just enjoy walking and being out in the sunshine. I never understand why my friends or people I get paired up playing with get so frustrated with themselves. We aren't tour pros, enjoy the game, and you'll probably play better anyways.

In my Tour Sasquatch Stand Bag

Driver: 10.5* R9 460
Fairway Wood: Dymo2 3 Wood
Hybrid: SUMO 21* 3 HybridIrons: Pro Combo Forged Irons 4-PW Gap Wedge 52* Vokey Sand Wedge: iWedge 56* Lob Wedge: MX-950 60*Putter: Studio Select Fastback No. 1 35"

I was told a similar story about a guy who played at my course, he had a meltdown on the 13th and threw his entire bag in the lake and stormed off the course, when the rest of the 4 ball were leaving the 13th green he re-appeared on the fairway and climbed into the lake to retrieve the bag "come to his senses" they thought, he retrieved the bag, got his car keys and wallet out of the pouch and then threw the bag back in the lake and stormed off again :)

This has got to the the funniest story yet!!!!!

I actually am hothead when it comes to golf....I read, " practice", concetate...go through the motions...get really ticked if I mess up. When I play really bad I just laugh at myself the rest of the round, bcs it just gets nuts. The other day I was playing somewhat decent golf...had the best drive of the day was about 110 yards from the green, I topped the ball 3 times in a row to within 30 yards from green. I then proceeded to triple chip onto the gren, and made a single put. A Par 4 in 8, without hazards.... I have to say I got pretty pissed tore a hole on the fairway...and felt like as ass..with my buddy , and the course!!! I appologized patched the fairway, called up the beer girl drowned 2 back to back, and had the best time on the remaining holes.... I think the beer girls should be standing at #1....with ice cold beer! I have realized that when I have a beer or two, I forget that I am compeating with myself, and just have fun. The only problem s teeing off at 7:30 AM...too early for beer!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Playing a round with my F-I-L is like some of the stories described here. Short-temper, club-tossing, foul language, etc. In all these years though, I think it has helped prepare me for playing with just about anyone! LOL... If I can maintain concentration playing with him, I can take just about anything and stay on my game.

That said, I have certainly had those moments where I feel like I WANT to thrash my wedge into a tree, but I've never actually done it!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Fair warning to all of you who get mad on the course:

The golf course is a surprisingly dangerous place, especially if you're a little bit stupid.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Note: This thread is 5145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!