IGNORED

60 degree wedge

Note: This thread is 4455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't tried the 60, but I can do most shots with the 58 including very high lob shots by opening the face.  Practice is the key.  I probably practice with my 58 and 54 wedges 50 to 60% of my total practice time.

Beware the fluffy lie.  this is where the 58 and 60 can completely whiff.  You can go under very easily and get no distance.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Beware the fluffy lie.  this is where the 58 and 60 can completely whiff.  You can go under very easily and get no distance.

Isn't that the truth - so many times I've been happy to see a nice fluffy lie & think I've got this one in the bag and the proceed to scoop right under it with the lob wedge & pop it up about 5 feet.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

My 60 is the most often used wedge in my bag. Anything 100 yds and in I use the 60. It took me a while to get used to it but i practice with it almost every day around the chipping green and when no ones on it I'll go practice my partial shots from 40 up to 100 yds out. I've gotten to the point where i can land it on a dime 20 ft away. I just need to make those putts :D

I own a 52, 54, 58, and a 60, but I never *never* put the 60 in the bag, and I usually leave the 58 out too (usually P, 52, 54 - sometimes P, 52, 58).  At this point, I don't even take the 60 to the range -- I'm 'okay' with the 52, and I only use the 54 and 58 as sand wedges. I need to practice more with those, but I'm currently trying to put a lot of work in with my pitching wedge instead.

I figure that a less experienced golfer like myself doesn't need more than a 54 degree club.  What do you think?

Originally Posted by Roblar

I own a 52, 54, 58, and a 60, but I never *never* put the 60 in the bag, and I usually leave the 58 out too (usually P, 52, 54 - sometimes P, 52, 58).  At this point, I don't even take the 60 to the range -- I'm 'okay' with the 52, and I only use the 54 and 58 as sand wedges. I need to practice more with those, but I'm currently trying to put a lot of work in with my pitching wedge instead.

I figure that a less experienced golfer like myself doesn't need more than a 54 degree club.  What do you think?

I'm in the same boat ... I just don't ever have room for the lob wedge (gets back to wishing we could carry 15 clubs).     I also use a 54 & if the lie is decent, can really get it up in the air if I open the club face - working on getting good at that.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I use a 50, 54 & 58. My 58 is my favourite wedge just because of the versatility of it. I can open it up and flop it, use it out of bunkers, use it to pitch between 30 - 70 yards, Play low spinners into a green and love hitting it full shot 95 yards. 54 is similar but just dont have the confidence to hit it as flush as the 58.

Keeping the weight on my front foot and aiming right when i open the face up stops me from hitting the dreaded 40 yard thin! The key is practice and hitting the shot with confidence.

909 D2 10.5º S-Flex   RBZ 3W 15º S-Flex

909h 19º S-Flex

G15 (4-6) i15 (7-PW) Project X Rifle 5.5  52º, 56º & 58º

California Del Mar 34"     Pro-V1

"Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic"

• 5 weeks later...

There are days when my 60 has saved my life, and there are days when I just wanna hurl it across the fairway. It does take a little more attention than the rest to make it work well every time.

Driver: Titleist 905R w GraphiteDesign YS-6 Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Callaway X 3 Wood 15º w Aldila NV65 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Callaway X 3H 21º Stiff
Irons 4 - SW: Callaway X 18 Graphite Shaft (Stiff)
Wedges: Cleveland CG12 Chrome 52º, CG 15 Chrome 60º
Putter: Odyssey Crimson 660
Balls: Titleist ProV1

Originally Posted by inthehole

Isn't that the truth - so many times I've been happy to see a nice fluffy lie & think I've got this one in the bag and the proceed to scoop right under it with the lob wedge & pop it up about 5 feet.

If you haven't discovered, even out your weight on a fluffy lie and don't open the face. Also, don't set the club on the ground at address. Hold it slightly above (a Johnny Miller tip).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Agree - the 54-56 is an easier club to use.

The 59-60 requires great fundamentals. Actually, the easiest technique for me to use is Mickelson's hinge and hold which doesn't require a clean hit into the ball - one uses the bounce and the hands remains ahead of the club head throughout the swing. It's okay to hit ground before ball and you'll get a fine result. Find Mickelson's DVD if interested.

I like Mike's soft approach as more advanced ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The only way to feel confident with the 60 degree is to use it. I use mine out of every bunker and whenever behind one. At my home course, I generally have enough feel to bump and run all day long. As I go for more greens, I have more slight misses, so the 60 has helped me a bit.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by Domenic

get one with loads of bounce and hit down steeply at the back of the ball, focusing on hitting the blades of grass under the ball with a downward motion

Entirely dependent on the course and swing. If you usually take big divots or the course is usually very soft, get more bounce. Personally, I take small if any divot, and my home course is fairly firm so I need low bounce wedges.

I love my 60* wedge, and once I'm inside 75-85yds, its the only wedge I use (unless I'm in a soft bunker, than I'll use my 56* which has a little more bounce). It definitely takes a bit more practice than lower lofted wedges, but once you get a swing down with it, it is a very useful tool.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I think the biggest thing is confidence in it also, you really have to trust it.

In My Cleveland golf stand bag:
Driver: r580xd 10.5
Woods: launcher 3 and 5 woods
Irons: gunmetal TA-3 1 iron and 3-pw
Wedges: MP-T series 53* oil can 58* Putter: sigma

Lots of thoughts here, and my game with my wedges (140 and in to greenside chips) is the best part of my game. I'll just rattle some things off that you can take or leave.

• On full or semi-full shots, making clean, "ball-first" contact is crucial. It should be easy with a LW because it has the shortest shaft in your bag, but if you can't hit it flush, you're better not to use it at all. If you can hit it flush, then the rest of what any of us might say will be relevant to you. If you can't, look to a different wedge configuration.
  • Whatever method you're using, your hands need to be ahead of the clubhead. If you flip with a wedge, particularly with an LW, you're dead as far as consistency goes, and you're throwing away all the benefits of using a highly-lofted wedge. You can flip and hit sh*tty shots with the PW that comes with your iron sets, no need to buy an extra club.
  • Don't listen to what everyone says about ball positon, etc. If you look on tour, there are a lot of different ball positions being used by guys who are great wedge players. Phil Mickleson, one of the best wedge players in the world, doesn't play the ball in the back of his stance unless he's hitting some freaky, severe trap draw kind of thing. Steve Stricker, probably the best wedge player in the world and at least probably the most consistent, doesn't play the ball severely back. I think you need to play the ball COMFORTABLY for you, and that you're only going to find through trial and error and repetition. Playing it back on all full shots just limits your options in terms of shot types, managing spin, etc.
  • Using a lofted club isn't just for hitting high lobs, it is also usueful for playing low shots with ridiculous spin. There's no better feeling than being 75 yards out on a par 5 or a shorter par 4 on a windy day and hitting a shot with your LW that barely gets 25 feet up in the air, hits, and either stops dead or sucks back a little. You can do that with an LW, and it's a lethal weapon.
  • Read what others say, try some things, find what works for you, and be consistent with that. There are a million theories about short game, all of which are right for the person that'd doing the theorizing. You should try some things others recommend and other things that you find out on your own. Find things that work, practice those, and develop a method for yourself in the scoring area.
  • Practice until your thought process in the scoring area is as simple as possible. If you're thinking a million different things when you're hitting some feel shot over a hazard to a green that's running away from you - you're dead. Commit to a real target and hit the shot using a basic, repeatable method that you've ingrained.
  • Upvote 2

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

The 60* has always been my favorite wedge. Up until recently I've always pulled out the 60* anywhere around the green and modified the swing accordingly, but here lately I have been taking a 52 around the greens for a little more roll with my chip shots and depend less on the drop and stop.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

Using a lofted club isn't just for hitting high lobs, it is also usueful for playing low shots with ridiculous spin. There's no better feeling than being 75 yards out on a par 5 or a shorter par 4 on a windy day and hitting a shot with your LW that barely gets 25 feet up in the air, hits, and either stops dead or sucks back a little. You can do that with an LW, and it's a lethal weapon.

What's your method for these kinds of shots? Extreme forward shaft lean? You must be delofting the club significantly?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

What's your method for these kinds of shots? Extreme forward shaft lean? You must be delofting the club significantly?

It's the opposite.

Think of the way you hit a table tennis ball low.

You slice/cut underneath it.

Most hackers think that wedges are supposed to go as high as possible all of the time. They are wrong.

When you're hitting pitch shots with wedges, unless it's over a bunker or something, a lot of the time it should be a low shot. That's how yopu get the "hop and stop" effect.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

It's the opposite.

Think of the way you hit  a table tennis ball low.

You slice/cut underneath it.

Most hackers think that weges are supposed to go as highmas possible all of the time. They are wrong.

When you're hitting pitch shots with wedges, unless it's over a bunker or something, a lot of the time it should be a low shot. That's how yopu get the "hop and stop" effect.

Really? I didn't know that. How do you keep it low with 60* of loft? Hit it softer?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Really? I didn't know that. How do you keep it low with 60* of loft? Hit it softer?

If you get a table tennis bat and swing it at the ball so that it's virtually horizontal, it doesn't make the ball go high. It goes low. It's the same with the lob wedge.

If you're hitting a low approach with, say a 56 degree wedge, yes, you keep your hands ahead of the ball and extend your follow through abbreviating the arc.

To hit it high and short, looser hands and a higher follow through.

To hit it REALLY high, big swing and slow hands.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!