Sign in to follow this  
Doctorfro

Winter's over....What's the state of your game?

Note: This thread is 3492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 posts / 2177 viewsLast Reply

I'd be interested to hear feedback on this. Many have had to endure a more harsh winter than normal so many of the avid brethren have been off the course for a while. With spring upon us, I was curious how everyone's game is fairing right now. The usual? Rusty? Improved?!

I'm pleased to report that my game is looking better than normal. I haven't played a whole lot but what I have has been good. I think the winter weight lifting program has paid huge dividends as I am pounding the driver right now AND with some accuracy (I have been working on some slight swing change). I'm attacking more par fives in two and the putting is better than normal for this time of year. I did switch putters so not sure what the contributing factor in that is. I'm fighting a slight nagging injury which is not improving as I'd like which might hold me back from playing more but I'm very encouraged by the early season efforts.

So where do you stand?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Better than I left it.

Oh, duh, I should clarify... I never really left it per se. I hit balls just about every week in the off-season. The off-season this year was pretty short because we were still playing golf in November here. So December - February, really.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My game isn't all that bad. I shot 3 over in my first round, and I have really made some improvements since then. My putting still sucks, but what else it new?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

non existent. Haven't picked up a club since Thanksgiving. Lost 40 lbs and lost 5" off my waist though :D

Very good. First rounds back were 84 and 81. Good rounds for me. The swing feels good and if i could put i wouldv'e been in the 70's both times

I played today and shot a 38, which is real good for me. I'm going tomorrow to a course I've never played. We'll see how that goes.

Very rusty....I put today's results in another thread.

Tempo and posture were / are huge areas that I hope to improve for my next round.

I played my first round of the year yesterday. I was pretty impressed with my game. A few strokes over what I usually score on that particular course. I had been working pretty hard at the indoor driving range this winter, so it's not like it was the first time I'd swung my club this year.

I felt like my short game finess (usually the strongest part of my game) was a little off and I just couldn't get comfortable over the ball putting. Which is odd....since I'd been working really hard all winter with putting on the carpet down the office hallway. Guess it just goes to show...putting on a real green can't be simulated!

Anyways....look forward a great year ahead!

I have yet to play 18 as well. It's still early, but my scores are much improved over last year as the blow up holes have been eliminated. I attribute this to time spent in a heated range stall in 30 degree weather as well as a book I read over the winter "Zen Golf". I'm playing sub bogey golf and the handicap is going down. I'm thinking my way around the course and not playing a single shot without a shot shape in mind as well as a concrete pre-shot routine.

Perfect,, shot 75, 76 over the weekend... of course I have spent the last 3 years in Hawaii... the 4 years before that in San Diego,,, ask me again this time next year after my first winter in Rhode Island :)

Played first round last sunday, hit two buckets before that and was pretty happy with the swing changes from the drills I have been doing in the house. Shot a 102 which isnt really good for me, but its the first time out, and there were 40 putts, lousy chipping, and wasnt getting off the tee very well with the woods, only thing going for me were my irons. Still its the first round out, and it shows what I need to work on, winter is gone and plenty of golf to play!

Before my first round of the year on Saturday, I hadn't picked up a club other than my putter since November 29th.

Suprisingly, I feel great standing over the ball. I don't know what happened over the Winter. I'm hitting my drives dead straight right down the middle and much longer than last year.

I haven't missed a beat over the Winter.

Hopefully better than ever. I lost 15 lbs (got back in shape... ever since my track days have been over I gained about 20-30 lbs), and have got a few lessons on my swing. That being said, when I first got out and hit some balls, I was back to swinging over the top. Those old habits die hard.

I'm better than when the season ended (November). I hit balls into my net all winter. I putted inside daily and chipped/pitched in the (non-fenced) continuous backyard a lot.

Ironically, I think better. I've made it to the range about 5 times this year, and have a lot of new clubs that better suit me as well as a many hours practicing indoor chipping and putting. Chipping was a real weakness of mine, so as I look to play my first round this weekend I'm hoping I'll feel like I play better than I left off last September.

Disaster and great, all at the same time. This is the earliest I've played in several years, really caught the bug again. Working on swing changes, went out and just hacked 18 last Saturday for my first round. Also happened to have a new driver and 3 wood to contend with. After the round while we were laughing at my "score", my buddy said I hit more pure shots than he ever saw. So I'll take the positives and move on.

Note: This thread is 3492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!