IGNORED

Tiger's Irons

Xt1ncT
Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tiger has weak lofts in his irons - in other owrds that his nine iron would equal a PW for someone else.

Does anyone know if that's correct - makes how far he hits them even more impressive if it is.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tiger has weak lofts in his irons - in other owrds that his nine iron would equal a PW for someone else.

As far as I know, this is a true statement. He's kept the same lofts on his irons from when he 15 years old.

Updated to add the following from a Tiger Woods press conference last year:
Q. When it comes to what you keep in your bag, are you a guy that likes to tinker with loft and lie and swing weight and things like that, and if you do, what kind of thinking goes into those decisions? TIGER WOODS: To be honest with you, my lofts, my lie, my length on my irons haven't changed since I was 14 years old. So to answer your question, no. Q. Why not? TIGER WOODS: Why? Because they have worked (smiling). I've won a lot of tournaments since I was 14. I'm not going to change. But I have changed my 3 wood obviously and my driver over the years and trying to keep up with everybody off the tees, but my irons are still very weak compared to today's standards. They are the standards back in the 60s. People have that so called gap wedge. Well, my pitching wedge is like 51 degrees. My 9 iron is like 45, and that's like most people's gap wedges. A lot of the guys' pitching wedge is like my 9 irons, so I play with very weak lofts, but they have worked so far.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Pretty sure that's correct as well... I remember reading somewhere that Mickelson's PW was like 44 or 45 degrees (at least it was when he played Titleist clubs) because he wanted to hit it further.

So yes, I'd believe that statement.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Pretty sure that's correct as well... I remember reading somewhere that Mickelson's PW was like 44 or 45 degrees (at least it was when he played Titleist clubs) because he wanted to hit it further.

This doesn't really make since to me, maybe i'm too simple minded but why would he have his 9 iron put at 44 or 45 degrees? If he wants to hit it further pull an 8 iron, what is tigers 8 iron and or what are our 8 irons? That statement just got me thinking, hey that doesn't really seem logical but you know what he's on tour and i'm not so there must be something too it right.

ZEBRA

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

This doesn't really make since to me, maybe i'm too simple minded but why would he have his 9 iron put at 44 or 45 degrees? If he wants to hit it further pull an 8 iron, what is tigers 8 iron and or what are our 8 irons? That statement just got me thinking, hey that doesn't really seem logical but you know what he's on tour and i'm not so there must be something too it right.

Agreed. .

Top golfers strike the ball quite perfectly with a lot of club head speed and have no problem getting the ball up. They almost always have their clubs delofted. I am guessing that is one reason guys like Phil or Tiger can hit an "8 iron" 200 yards.

With my swing and swing speed, I'd never get the ball up with a low lofted club with a short shaft.

Pros aren't Pros cause they can generate a lot of club head speed or hit an 8 iron 200 yards, they're pros cause they can think on the course and execute the shot they want or need to execute when they need to do so. Every players swing is different and every players attack angle is different so saying that every pro hits the ball perfectly with a ton of club head speed is probably not accurate but I may be wrong. I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just stating my point of view as well.

ZEBRA

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

This doesn't really make since to me, maybe i'm too simple minded but why would he have his 9 iron put at 44 or 45 degrees? If he wants to hit it further pull an 8 iron, what is tigers 8 iron and or what are our 8 irons?

A normal 9-iron would be around 43 or 44 degrees or so... most regular retail pitching wedges are around 47 or 48 degrees with about 3-4 degrees difference between clubs. The idea being that 1 degree of loft equates to roughly 2-3 yards difference in ball flight.

I think you were getting a little confused over my post... the point of the thread is that Tiger's clubs are more highly lofted than most players. So, where my PW is 48 degrees, Tiger's might be 51 degrees - thus making it evem more impressive that he hits his PW 140 yards. Mickelson, on the other hand (at least when he was obsessed with hitting it further), de-lofted his clubs, so his PW might be closer to 44 degrees (equivalent to a 9-iron for most players) and thus he could hit it further (theoretically a lower launch angle) with more control (theoretically due to the shorter shaft). The significant swing speed of a tour pro means that its easier for them to get the ball in the air compared to us normal folk (as SubPar pointed out). I'm sure there's a point I'm missing somewhere with regards to the iron's center of gravity, etc but I think that was the gist of the situation.
In My Bag:
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Pros aren't Pros cause they can generate a lot of club head speed or hit an 8 iron 200 yards,

It does help though...

so saying that every pro hits the ball perfectly with a ton of club head speed is probably not accurate but I may be wrong.

The consistent contact though does contribute to their ability to hit the ball the same distance every time. If you ever look at a pro's clubs up close, you'll see a small circle right in the sweet spot of the iron that looks like it's just been worn off by hitting the ball in the same spot time after time after time. It's really quite depressing that I'll never get to that point.

In My Bag:

I found this info, but have no idea how accurate it might be...

In the bag (Tiger)
Driver: Nike SasQuatch 460 cc driver (8.5 degree)
Fairway Woods : Nike Ignite T60 3 Wood (15 degrees) and Nike T40 5 Wood (19 degrees) *Tiger will put his 5 Wood or 2 Iron in the bag depending upon the course setup and conditions
Irons: Nike Forged Irons (2-PW) (all irons are 1 degree upright, have D4 swingweight, standard size Tour Velvet Cord grips and True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 shafts)
Wedges: Nike 56 degree Pro Combo SW and 60 degree Flatback TW LW
Putter: Scotty Cameron By Titleist Studio Stainless Newport 2 putter (standard loft and lie, 35 inches long)

It does help though...

I just re-read my post and the perfect contatct was not intended to be in there so thats my bad, my point was not everyone on tour swings as fast as Tiger and Phil

ZEBRA

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

I just re-read my post and the perfect contatct was not intended to be in there so thats my bad, my point was not everyone on tour swings as fast as Tiger and Phil

ZEBRA

I think you're missing the point of the thread. Tiger's irons aren't de-lofted. They have MORE loft. In other owrds his 3 iron is equivlanet to Phil's 4 iron, his 4 iron equivalent to Phil's 5 iron and so on. Which means that it's even more impressive that he can hit his 8 iron (or Phil's 9 iron) 198 yards on a par 3 to 3 or 4 feet.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

ZEBRA

Xt1ncT, I do understand how impressive it is for Tiger to be hitting de-lofted clubs but I think you're missing the point of my posts being that I don't see the poing of Phil, and probably many other touring pros hitting a stronger lofted clubs, seems like they are just having the engraver put a 4 on their 3 iron or a P on their 9 iron etc...

sorry if i'm not being clear about what I don't understand ZEBRA

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

• Administrator
Xt1ncT, I do understand how impressive it is for Tiger to be hitting de-lofted clubs but I think you're missing the point of my posts being that I don't see the poing of Phil, and probably many other touring pros hitting a stronger lofted clubs, seems like they are just having the engraver put a 4 on their 3 iron or a P on their 9 iron etc...

Zebra, if I gave you a set of clubs that were all one club longer than your current set, would you want to buy them? After all, they're longer and yet probably just as accurate...

Many equipment companies do this by marking their 44° club "PW" even though, in reality, it's a 9-iron. There's that "club longer." A lot of the pros play de-lofted clubs because they are looking to hit long par threes, reach par fives with irons, and so forth. So that 4-iron that plays as a 3-iron is good. On the top end, they add a sand and a lob wedge to fill the gaps between their PW and whatever short-game shots they need. They rarely leave themselves an awkward distance on a layup, so they really don't need too much height (with a true PW, for example). Tiger plays pretty standard lofts. His PW isn't 51, last I heard - but more the "old" industry standard of 48 or 49. Titleist still sticks to pretty standard lofts, but look at this review and you'll note I talk about the decreased lofts for a few paragraphs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well to me it just doesn't make since to have a 4 iron that plays like a 3 iron because it is de-lofted instead of just playing a 3 iron. I guess I am just over thinking this whole topic but it just doesn't make since to me. As far as you giving me clubs that play one club longer, I would be real mad the first few rounds cause I know that the distance difference would slip my mind and I would hit everything long but heck yeah of course I would take free clubs but it would make more since to me to say hey here's a 2 iron, it will go furthur than your 3 iron. Sorry if it seems like I am being difficult this concept just doesn't make since to me. If you want the length of a 3 iron then hit your 3 iron.

ZEBRA

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

I don't care if I hit 6 or 7, I care about how close it went. At the level Woods plays at and it's true for many low handicap players as well, distance control is far more important than distance.

One difference between a delofted 8 iron verses a standard 7 is shaft length. In theory the 7 would still be longer even if the lofts are the same, but the 8 might be more accurate due to the shorter shaft.
I would guess the pros play less loft for a few reasons:
They hit the ball hard enough to get it in the air,
They have better control (as mentioned above),
It might alter a competitors club selection, especially on par 3's,
It sounds cool on TV to hit a 8 iron 200 yards from the rough!

Chris
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

boys,

as my old coach used to say "they ask how many,not how".

it does not matter what iron you hit,it's how close you hit it???

deano

Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!