IGNORED

Pro golfers & gyms

RichF
Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brown rice is one of the best carbs you can eat.

Good to know, I love brown rice.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

P90X is nothing special, its a high impact workout, that focuses on short intervals of constant movement. It is a good cardio workout, but thats the extent of it.

ApocG10, everything else you said in your posts have been spot on expect for this part. When was the last time you tried P90X? You can put on size with this program if you want- people do it all the time. It's all pull ups and push ups, biceps curls, etc. It's got tons of great resistance workouts in it. It has more resistance workouts in the program than it does cardio ones.

Constantine

I have a question in regards to how to lose weight correctly. I do eat carbs but not much. I eat fruit, milk, fruit, and light bread. I have a very protein heavy diet to help build muscle. I actually see more results since I started eating a protein shakes between meals. I feel healthy and good. I don't eat junk or empty foods. I am not an expert by any means. I know what I have done to lose weight and had success. I know I can never go back to my old ways. What do you think a better approach would be?

Ok, first off, there is nothing wrong with protein shakes, but you still want most of protein to come from whole foods. I usually dont advocate having more than two shakes a day, the second after a workout with high glycemic carbs, the first between breakfast and lunch. You want 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and the same amount of carbs. Carbs are by far your most important source of energy, but you need to choose the right ones. Brown rice, yams, whole grain breads, oatmeal, even white rice isnt horrible. But you want to stay away from white bread, potatoes, whole wheat bread, white pasta. Fruits and veggies are a must, because they are full of anti-oxidants, but you dont want them to be your main source of carbs.

But while diet is important, you need to couple it with proper exercise, both cardio and weight training. Those are just basics, if you want more detailed advice send me a pm and ill send you a questionaire to fill out so I know more about your situation, and give you personal advice on calorie amounts, timing, and the food types, as well as training advice to fit your own situation.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

ApocG10, everything else you said in your posts have been spot on expect for this part. When was the last time you tried P90X? You can put on size with this program if you want- people do it all the time. It's all pull ups and push ups, biceps curls, etc. It's got tons of great resistance workouts in it. It has more resistance workouts in the program than it does cardio ones.

Like I said earlier in the thread though, its WONDERFUL for people trying to get in shape. But its nothing spectacular for someone who is already at their physical peak. Pull ups and push ups arent really that effective, and it ignores the most important resistance exercises for the body. Squats and Deadlifts.

For the average person, P90x is fine. For someone like me, who has been running 10k a day and weight training for the better part of 20 years, its just really not that effective.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Like I said earlier in the thread though, its WONDERFUL for people trying to get in shape. But its nothing spectacular for someone who is already at their physical peak. Pull ups and push ups arent really that effective, and it ignores the most important resistance exercises for the body. Squats and Deadlifts.

Yea, that's true. I do love my pushups and pullups though. When I stared P90X i could do maybe 4 or 5 pullups in a row. Now I can do over 25! That's gotta count for something strength wise. I haven't had any back pain in months now.

Constantine

Nah, he's 100% right, it's nothing special. Always consider the source. It's a late night infomercial. P90X is a fancy name for a guy selling you a video that shows you how to jump around and do exercise. Nothing special there. Jane Fonda did it in the 80s. Richard Simmons did it in the 90s. Just another workout program for suckers to spend cash on.

Remember, the idea of obesity is fairly new, coming with the rise of the sedentary lifestyle. 150 years ago, when people tended farms and ate what they grew or killed, the idea of an obesity epidemic was laughable. It's only because we use cars and eat processed ready-made food that we are overweight. With the rise of any epidemic comes the hustlers trying to make a buck off of it. There have been faith healers, snake oil peddlers, and amulet makers for hundreds, if not thousands of years, and the average human is still stupid enough to fall for it.

For you, 3000 calories is probably tough. For me 3000 calories would put me into a deficit and I would probably lose some weight. I take in around 3200-3400 pretty easily, hence I easily maintain my curvy figure

i take in 6000 a day and remain 6 foot 175 not very chubby at all aha

oh what it pays to be 14

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

i take in 6000 a day and remain 6 foot 175 not very chubby at all aha

I doubt you take in 6k calories. That is about what a guy like Jay Cutler (Mr. Olympia) takes in, and thats massive amounts of food, even if most of it comes from fats. That would be the equivalent of 6 double big macs with fries and large coke, every day.

And if you are taking that much in, you may be skinny, but your heart, liver, and kidneys are paying the price, no matter what age you are.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Just so everyone knows, I was assuming sarcasm in Shanks' post. I hope I didn't imagine that.

Um, no sarcasm. P90X is a late night infomercial product, nothing more. Anyone who works in, or has knowledge of serious dietary science and/or fitness knows that. This is nothing more than a workout video.

Um, no sarcasm. P90X is a late night infomercial product, nothing more. Anyone who works in, or has knowledge of serious dietary science and/or fitness knows that. This is nothing more than a workout video.

When Jane Fonda was in her prime, they were worth watching. They always made sure you got lots of shots of her bent over!

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

When Jane Fonda was in her prime, they were worth watching. They always made sure you got lots of shots of her bent over!

Haha! My mother had one of those, with the 80s chicks in leg warmers, and cheesy music... Damn I miss the 80s.

Well, then I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about- and clearly you've never tried P90X- and if you had, it probably wasn't for very long. 99.9% of infomercials are probably scams- P90X isn't one of them.

Constantine

Well, then I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about- and clearly you've never tried P90X- and if you had, it probably wasn't for very long. 99.9% of infomercials are probably scams- P90X isn't one of them.

Nobody is saying its a scam. Were saying its been done a thousand times, its nothing new.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Nobody is saying its a scam. Were saying its been done a thousand times, its nothing new.

He called it a "late night infomercial product-nothing more." That's calling something a scam as far as I can tell. Yes it's a workout program, but it's also a nutrition guide as well. And the last time I checked, you have to actually "workout" to build muscle and get strong. And of course you have to eat right- P90X emphasizes a balanced nutrition- never neglecting any important food group.

Constantine

He called it a "late night infomercial product-nothing more." That's calling something a scam as far as I can tell. Yes it's a workout program, but it's also a nutrition guide as well. And the last time I checked, you have to actually "workout" to build muscle and get strong. And of course you have to eat right- P90X emphasizes a balanced nutrition- never neglecting any important food group.

So, I need a DVD to tell me that if I eat right and excercise, that I'll lose weight? Wow, what else can DVDs teach me?

So, I need a DVD to tell me that if I eat right and excercise, that I'll lose weight? Wow, what else can DVDs teach me?

But if it works for someone who is trying to lose weight, why question it? A lot of people want to lose weight a gain muscle and they need a program to help them do it because it gives them a means to achieve the goal. Whether or not it is a late night infomercial, if it works who cares.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!