IGNORED

Cheyenne Woods (Tiger's Niece) Thread

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 3060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cheyenne Woods be a big star on the LPGA tour?

• Yes, she will be a star on the level with Michelle Wie.
    • No, she will play on the LPGA but never be a star.
    • She will not make the LPGA.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So Cheyenne Woods #125 on the money list… doesn’t keep her card at all, not even close, right?

From this article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/golf/making-it-past-the-cut-is-crucial-for-the-livelihood-of-many-lpga-tour-newcomers/article20182826/

Only players in the top 125 on the official money list at season’s end maintain cards for next year. The top 80 players make the priority list, meaning they are first in line for playing LPGA events.

Regarding the original post.  I think she'll play on the LPGA but not be a star.  Being a rookie but not a stand out at age 25... it seems regarding being a star, her ship has already sailed.

Looking at Inbee Park, Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson,... they were possible playing better at age 15 than Cheyenne Woods is at 25.

Edited by No Mulligans

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Oh, I must've been remembering the Priority bit. I know the PGA Tour is 125 (or… 100, and then 101-150…).

Okay. So at least she's still on the big tour. Because the junior tour is pretty bad…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rank 125 is the last spot to keep her card but she will be ranked about 170th on the priority list which won't get her into many tournaments. She can easily get sponsor's invites though and if she makes any cut the LPGA has two reshuffles 1/3 and 2/3 through the season that would move her to around 150th which would get her into many full field events . She will probably go back to Q-school to try to get a better spot on the priority list if she is still committed to trying to compete on the LPGA.

Until recently Michelle Wie was like Anna Kournikova.  Famous for being an athlete and good looking, but never won.  Given that description of Michelle, Cheyenne will make the LPGA and be famous, if not for her game, as Tiger's niece.  Of course, if she has the game, then will be bigger than Michelle Wie.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Until recently Michelle Wie was like Anna Kournikova.  Famous for being an athlete and good looking, but never won.  Given that description of Michelle, Cheyenne will make the LPGA and be famous, if not for her game, as Tiger's niece.  Of course, if she has the game, then will be bigger than Michelle Wie.

Michelle's career has been way, way better than Anna Kournikova's for a few years now. You're seriously slighting Michelle Wie in saying that.

• The youngest winner (male or female) of an adult USGA-sanctioned tournament – Age 13 (2003 U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links)
  • The youngest player to make a cut in an LPGA tournament and major – Age 13 (2003 Nabisco Championship)
  • The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event – 68 (2004 and 2006 Sony Open)
  • The youngest player to play in Curtis Cup history – Age 14 (2004)
  • The first female to qualify for a USGA championship that is generally played by males - Age 15 (2005 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Pittsburgh sectional)
  • The first female to make a cut on the Asian Tour - Age 16 (2006 SK Telecom Open)
  • The first female medalist in a U.S. Open qualifying tournament – Age 16 (2006 U.S. Open Local Qualifying at Turtle Bay Hawaii)

And those are just her "records." She's won the Women's U.S. Open for crying out loud…

Also, Cheyenne has been playing golf for awhile. She's already been on the LPGA Tour for a year now, and she has already won a few tournaments (not LPGA, but I remember her winning one in 2014… yeah, here, and an LET event).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Her swing is dope. I think she has the talent to be a good Tour player. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

Until recently Michelle Wie was like Anna Kournikova.  Famous for being an athlete and good looking, but never won. 

Yeah strongly disagree with this, her career doesn't reflect that at all. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Michelle's career has been way, way better than Anna Kournikova's for a few years now. You're seriously slighting Michelle Wie in saying that.

• The youngest winner (male or female) of an adult USGA-sanctioned tournament – Age 13 (2003 U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links)
  • The youngest player to make a cut in an LPGA tournament and major – Age 13 (2003 Nabisco Championship)
  • The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event – 68 (2004 and 2006 Sony Open)
  • The youngest player to play in Curtis Cup history – Age 14 (2004)
  • The first female to qualify for a USGA championship that is generally played by males - Age 15 (2005 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Pittsburgh sectional)
  • The first female to make a cut on the Asian Tour - Age 16 (2006 SK Telecom Open)
  • The first female medalist in a U.S. Open qualifying tournament – Age 16 (2006 U.S. Open Local Qualifying at Turtle Bay Hawaii)

And those are just her "records." She's won the Women's U.S. Open for crying out loud…

Also, Cheyenne has been playing golf for awhile. She's already been on the LPGA Tour for a year now, and she has already won a few tournaments (not LPGA, but I remember her winning one in 2014… yeah, here, and an LET event).

So basically, Michelle has been playing at a high level for 13 years now. She's 26 and a major winner. She also felt that getting a college degree was of major importance, which I applaud her on.

I hope Cheyenne becomes a regular on the tour and plays well because it will bring attention to the tour.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Like I said, until recently she was like that, and until she started winning that was the reputation she had.  Great golfer, pretty girl, unable to win, kinda like Anna Kournikova.  I know Anna never won a single tournament in her career and Michelle has won, but images take time to get erased in people's minds.  Anyway, till she started winning was more famous for her looks, her distance (played in a PGA event), that round (practice or tourney or driving range) with Ernie where she almost matched him drive for drive.  Unfair, but perceptions are such.

Let us see how Cheyenne does, but whatever else happens, she will always play on the LPGA, even if it is on sponsors exemptions, just because she is Tiger's niece.  Not fair but such is life

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

• Administrator

Like I said, until recently she was like that, and until she started winning that was the reputation she had.

No, it wasn't. She won a national tournament at age 13, for crying out loud…

I know what you think you're saying. There was talk for a number of years about why Michelle was playing poorly, and how she wasn't living up to her potential. But that's the thing… her potential was deemed to be sky high. Anna Kournikova's was not. Anyone who compared Anna to Michelle was not basing their judgments on anywhere near the same level. Michelle was in college and not even playing full-time throughout most of that time, too. She's only been a full-time member of the LPGA Tour recently.

Anna and Natalie Gulbis, now there was a comparison that had a little more merit. Not a lot, but a little.

Let us see how Cheyenne does, but whatever else happens, she will always play on the LPGA, even if it is on sponsors exemptions, just because she is Tiger's niece.  Not fair but such is life.

You do know that even this year, with LPGA membership, she didn't play in four of their five majors, right? And that her two wins have been on tours other than the LPGA Tour. And that as recently as 2014… she was a full-time Symetra Tour player, yes?

She'll catch some breaks, but as Tiger inches toward retirement (he'd be lunging toward it, but his back won't let him), they'll continue to decrease and she'll have to make it on her own merits.

@iacas, fair enough, I understand the unfair comparison, but perhaps the reason myself and a lot of other people equate Michelle with Anna, unfair as it is, is that it was around the same time when both of them came on the scene.  Yes, her potential is way more and she has now started fulfilling it.

Yes, Cheyenne did not play any of the majors, but she will always be a fixture on the LPGA tour, if only through sponsors exemptions.  Even assuming Tiger never plays again, or never wins again, especially majors, he still has an amazing reputation and brand.  Kinda like Michael Jordan.  Admittedly, Cheyenne will probably never reach his amazing heights, or even the potential she showed in college, but the Woods name is enough to guarantee her stardom and sponsorships of some kind for the people who want Tiger's reputation but can't afford his price

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

@iacas, fair enough, I understand the unfair comparison, but perhaps the reason myself and a lot of other people equate Michelle with Anna, unfair as it is, is that it was around the same time when both of them came on the scene.

I don't think that's it either. Heck, Anna was winning the Australian Open (doubles) in 1999 and 2002 when Michelle was… three to six years short of even turning pro.

But hey, if you want to continue to slight a woman of her achievements (both, actually), be my guest! I don't care too much… just enough to post a few times.

8 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Yes, Cheyenne did not play any of the majors, but she will always be a fixture on the LPGA tour, if only through sponsors exemptions.

I don't think so.

I also hope she makes it on her own.

9 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

@iacas, fair enough, I understand the unfair comparison, but perhaps the reason myself and a lot of other people equate Michelle with Anna, unfair as it is, is that it was around the same time when both of them came on the scene.  Yes, her potential is way more and she has now started fulfilling it.

Yes, Cheyenne did not play any of the majors, but she will always be a fixture on the LPGA tour, if only through sponsors exemptions.  Even assuming Tiger never plays again, or never wins again, especially majors, he still has an amazing reputation and brand.  Kinda like Michael Jordan.  Admittedly, Cheyenne will probably never reach his amazing heights, or even the potential she showed in college, but the Woods name is enough to guarantee her stardom and sponsorships of some kind for the people who want Tiger's reputation but can't afford his price

You are way off on Wie vs Anna comparison.   Wie was slow to fulfill all the hoopla and expectation but was a half way decent LPGA player even in her bad years.   Anna?  Not so much. 

Anyway, back on topic ... Cheyenne had a very unsuccessful 1st year at LPGA.   Back to playing with sponsor exemption, I think.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

12 hours ago, pganapathy said:

but perhaps the reason myself and a lot of other people equate Michelle with Anna, 

I think it's mostly you :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Michelle had a bad year in 2015. She knows it too. She's taking the next six weeks off to recover both mentally and physically. Injuries and stuff. She's still quite young and has had a great career so far. If she comes back healthy next year, she could have a great one. With her length and distance she's always dangerous.

Michelle was the victim of overblown expectations. The press and people love to tear down those who don't meet them.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The LPGA needs Cheyenne ... she's american, occasionally shows she can really play some good golf, and she looks really good in a golf dress.   Political correctness aside & no racial intention ... the whole "korean phone book" thing that's becoming the LPGA seems to be wearing on alot of people - we need more good american players (ones that look like her will undoubtedly improve TV ratings).   

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

41 minutes ago, inthehole said:

The LPGA needs Cheyenne ... she's american, occasionally shows she can really play some good golf, and she looks really good in a golf dress.   Political correctness aside & no racial intention ... the whole "korean phone book" thing that's becoming the LPGA seems to be wearing on alot of people - we need more good american players (ones that look like her will undoubtedly improve TV ratings).   

Maybe LPGA should study what's going on in Korea? Something must be right about the golf culture there....

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On 11/24/2015, 11:43:54, pganapathy said:

Based on her play over the past year or so, it won't take much to be bigger than Michelle Wie who, in my opinion, has pretty much turned into a bust. After her impressive results as a teen, her parents have ruined her career...first with their insistence that she play against the men and, since then, with their total control over both her golf and personal life. It's pretty sad that Michelle, at age 26, still lives with her parents and lets them guide her every move. It's a shame that all that talent is being squandered. 

Note: This thread is 3060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!