IGNORED

Forged Irons Life Expectancy?

Note: This thread is 5087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a lot of comments about bag clatter and how it makes forged irons look. I haven't used iron covers since about two months after getting my starter set SGIs, which includes the two years I've owned my MP-57s. I doubt the bag clatter affects playability, but I also suspect I'm one of few people who thinks bag clatter gives the irons character.

They do. Its like they become tools of the workin man like his trusty hammer with the dings and grease stains on it...lol. Or like when i played HS football. It was always cool to have some paint streaks on your helmet.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

iron covers....this has been disgussed
and i thnk the consensus is.........their worthless, waste of money etc..!! hahah! (I'll keep the 4 letter comments to myself)

as mentioned, your irons are tools and MEANT TO BE USED and look like they have been used
imagine the framer who covers his hammer up after each use, the plumber who pulls his pipe wrench out of a nicely fitted "sock"...I think you get the point.....

plain and simple...forged irons are soft - they will wear sooner than cast
take care of them-wash them often, store in a cool dry place over winter, check lie/loft's each year and re-grip and repeat
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Ok....not sure I'll go with the headcovers for my irons....I just see myself getting sick of dealing with them....as it is I hate dealing with my driver, 3w, 3h, 4h and putter covers.....I don't need 9 more.......

As for the whole 'irons are tools' thing....and I HAVE to say this....for the love of pete, DO NOT compare irons to pipe wrenches or hammers. I have swung a hammer quite a lot in my life and IT IS NOT THE SAME!! We are golfers that show up to nice courses with our little yuppie clothes that say Ping, Izod Adidas etc. We then frown upon people wearing jeans on a course. Our irons that we are LUCKY enough to afford and enjoy are not our tools that keep us employed....and they CERTAINLY do not make us look macho. If it makes golfers feel more macho to show up to the country club with dings on their irons...or my favorite...rust on their wedges...then to each their own. But do me this favor....next time you're there, find the maintenance guy and ask him to get his hammer and ding up the $300 Scotty or Bertinardi putters a bit....afterall...they're meant to look used...........

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

As for the whole 'irons are tools' thing . . . We are golfers that show up to nice courses with our little yuppie clothes that say Ping, Izod Adidas etc. We then frown upon people wearing jeans on a course.

I'm more likely to wear jeans to the practice range than "yuppie clothing" (whatever that is). My putters do look well worn, except my new one with the gimicky milled face.

I actually take care of my tools (including the hammers, handsaws, and wood lathes that my grandpa had for years). The tools I've purchased look like new (except on the striking surface).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm more likely to wear jeans to the practice range than "yuppie clothing" (whatever that is). My putters do look well worn, except my new one with the gimicky milled face.

EXACTLY!!!!! Thanks for helping me prove my point!! If people who actually swung a hammer though thought that we didn't take care of our tools....then it obviously shows their ignorance!! BTW....a 'yuppie' is another word for a 'pretty boy'.

Thanks again for helping me prove my point.....even though something tells me that wasn't your plan when you replied......

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

EXACTLY!!!!! Thanks for helping me prove my point!! If people who actually swung a hammer though thought that we didn't take care of our tools....then it obviously shows their ignorance!! BTW....a 'yuppie' is another word for a 'pretty boy'.

I wasn't sure you actually had a point. Iron covers and "pretty boy" seem to go hand in hand. Was that the point?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

King, I bought a new set of MP68 last week. They are beautiful, and I will keep them that way. At least the backs and the hosel. I use head covers and it doesn't take long to get used to pulling one off when taking a club out and putting it back on after wiping it off before replacing it in the bag. I like nice looking clubs, that plus your game make a statement. During a round today a kid I was playing with told me he had borrowed his friends clubs to play today, then he told me mine looked great and asked what they were. Recognition is good when it comes from other golfers.

Take that all you scratch and dent lovers!

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I love wearing jeans and out playing pretty boys on the course with my chattered up irons.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I've use a Bag Boy with the cliplok feature to prevent bag chatter on my forged blades. It works well. No need for annoying head covers.

I love wearing jeans and out playing pretty boys on the course with my chattered up irons.

heheh!!!

me too......i roll w cargo shorts or jeans (on a cool day) and will whip the pretty boys any day of the week, w my beat up "TOOLS" regardless of what you say...they are tools yes maybe not the Scotty or the Driver (i cover these up), but irons are tools trust me....i used to wrench in the oilfield..i know my way around a toolbox
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Just got the MP68s, they seem like they will last if I just keep em' clean and dry.

Driver: 909 D3
3 Wood: 909 F3 13
Rescue: 909 17
Irons: AP2 3-PW
Wedges 58 degree and 52 Spin Milled (oil can) Newport 2(custom shop):taylormade: TP Penta 4-Under Golf Bag (Red/White)

HAHAHA!!!!! Sounds like people are now trying to convince us of their macho-ness by wearing jeans and cargos!! With that said....I only wear cargo shorts when I golf.....lots of pockets for tee's and other junk......I didn't know wearing cargo shorts were not the norm........

I might actually try the head covers....... why would we protect our woods and putter but not the irons?? Makes no sense.....

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
4-PW MP 57 Irons

HAHAHA!!!!! Sounds like people are now trying to convince us of their macho-ness by wearing jeans and cargos!! With that said....I only wear cargo shorts when I golf.....lots of pockets for tee's and other junk......I didn't know wearing cargo shorts were not the norm........

Are you old enough to remember when woods were made of wood? They'd get Fd up pretty fast without head covers. Today's woods and hybrids are made of thin metal which is then painted. Unless you're playing BB titaniums, or old driving range woods, you probably want them covered up.

Are you old enough to remember when woods were made of wood? They'd get Fd up pretty fast without head covers.

Today's graphite shafts don't take too kindly to the iron heads banging into them, hence the long necked head covers on the woods.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Are you old enough to remember when woods were made of wood? They'd get Fd up pretty fast without head covers.

Yep........unfortunately I am old enough..... When did I say you shouldn't cover woods?? I said that 'why would we protect our woods and putter but not our irons'...especially if they're soft. I never said 'We shouldn't protect our woods'????

I hear you about the walls of a wood being INSANELY thin. Even more reason to cover up those irons I guess........extra protection is always a good thing I get. Thanks for helping me decide to cover up those 'tools'........

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
4-PW MP 57 Irons

Yep........unfortunately I am old enough..... When did I say you shouldn't cover woods?? I said that 'why would we protect our woods and putter but not our irons'...especially if they're soft. I never said 'We shouldn't protect our woods'????

If you're bag is set up properly the irons and woods don't interact that much - just the top (crown) of the woods can bang into the long irons (when placing woods back in the bag and when removing long irons from the bag). You need to cover either the irons or the woods to protect the woods. Since the woods can also bang into each other and they're the first things to run into walls, posts, car bumpers, etc it makes the most sense to cover them.

My new driver and 3-wood cost more together than my most expensive set of irons (all purchased second hand - except the wedges) and there is a loss in performance as they get banged up. Unless you're playing hibores, the playability of irons isn't affected by those little nicks and scratches. Now that I mention it, nicks and scratches in the chrome actually do suck - bag chatter is little tiny dents - scratches is a sign of mistreatment. Dude. use iron covers if you want. In fact, I'd gladly buy a used set of forged irons off an an iron covers user (as long as they're not rusted or have exessive browning - it happens). If you wouldn't buy my vintage Mizunos, that's okay, because when I die, my wife will probably place them in the casket. I wish I was joking.

If you're bag is set up properly the irons and woods don't interact that much - just the top (crown) of the woods can bang into the long irons (when placing woods back in the bag and when removing long irons from the bag). You need to cover either the irons or the woods to protect the woods. Since the woods can also bang into each other and they're the first things to run into walls, posts, car bumpers, etc it makes the most sense to cover them.

HAHAHA!!!! That's a funny visual picturing someone is a casket with their irons!!

Yeah I hear where you're coming from. I think where I'm at right now is that I am ultra paranoind about my new Mizunos. I never had forged clubs before....but after hitting them...I WILL NEVER buy cast again.....even if I don't play them any better...they just feel so sweet. I just want them to last as long as possible as I honestly feel that 'iron technology' is much slower to evolve then say drivers or hybrids. I just can't see myself upgrading my irons every 3 years like I do my driver and other woods.....so I want to take care of them as well as I can so I can squeeze out as much time with them. I'm sure I'll use iron covers 3 times then say '&*^% this' and strip them off!!

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
4-PW MP 57 Irons

I'm sure I'll use iron covers 3 times then say '&*^% this' and strip them off!!

Well you could go halfway. I put all the iron covers on at then end of the round so that they, and my car, don't get banged up while getting them in and out of the trunk, etc. Then while I'm playing, as I use each club I throw the cover in the cart basket or bag pocket until I'm done. Mostly the covers protect my car and the clubs during handling and transporting.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Note: This thread is 5087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!