IGNORED

Am I OCD, or does everyone do this?

Note: This thread is 5125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No way dude.... I clean my clubs after every round.

It's tough, don't get me wrong, I had to completely relearn how to swing a golf club, in order to work around the loss of flexibility. It has killed my game, but I still love playing. I went from around a 15 handicap to not wanting to keep a handicap, and I finally broke back into the 80's for the first time since 2005 when I had the surgery. In all fairness, I just started playing again seriously less than a year ago, and have went from shooting 110ish to high 80's, so I can't complain. It's just frustrating knowing that I used to strike the ball a lot better than I do now.

Cleaning the clubs, shafts and grips after four straight rounds - sounds reasonable to me. If you were a member at an upscale country club, chances are your clubs would get this after each round.

Also, if you don't clean your clubface after it catches grit and dirt, you pound this gunk into the grooves. This erodes your clubface, and can pit your golf ball too.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

after each round, I come home, grab a beer, put some warm soapy water in a bucket and clean my clubs and put them away clean

Yup...same here. Nothing to it and a cold beer after a fun round is always a good thing.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Im in the same boat. I clean them after every round. My fiance just laughs as we watch the golf channel while I clean both our clubs in the evenings.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Yep. Another one here that cleans them after every round. Also clean the grips once a week or before any big events with steaming hot water and a rough brush

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52° - 56° - 60° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

+1 to cleaning clubs after every round... or range time.

. . . . . .
Cleveland HiBore XL Tour 9.5deg . Fujikura Fit-On-M Red S-Flex | Titleist 904F 15deg . Rifle 6.0 | Nike Pro Combo 3-PW . Rifle 6.0 | Clevelang CG15 52/56deg | Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 | Footjoy DryJoys | Calloway Cart Bag

I clean my clubs every weekend, usually on a Sunday night in front of the TV. It drives Mrs burnabao nuts, but I find it quite theraputic. My bag towel has a ballzee pad, so I can ususally get the worst of the muck off the heads/out of the grooves while I'm out on the course, but once you've given them a proper going over at home, there's something satisfying knowing that your clubs are clean, shiny, and ready to go when you next want to pick them up!

Motocaddy S3
MX700 10.5° Driver; Aldila VS Proto 65R
MX700 5W; Aldila VS Proto 85R
MX700 20°, 23°; Exsar HS4R
MX300 5-PW; FST KBS Tour R MP-T 51°, 56°, 60°; Dynalite XP Gold S300Bettinardi BlackCarbon BC1Bridgestone e6+ balls

So I just realized another thing that might be OCD, cleaning your club after almost every shot on the range. I only started doing it this year, but it was something about a quote asking if you really think tiger woods swings more than a shot or 2 on the range without cleaning the face/grooves. It makes sense really, even though most people just go out and pound driver after driver for an hour, with irons each shot you hit that you don't clean lowers the effectiveness and control. If I want to know consistently how my flight is I've gotta clean em after most shots unless I pick a few clean with no dirt :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

So I just realized another thing that might be OCD, cleaning your club after almost every shot on the range. I only started doing it this year, but it was something about a quote asking if you really think tiger woods swings more than a shot or 2 on the range without cleaning the face/grooves. It makes sense really, even though most people just go out and pound driver after driver for an hour, with irons each shot you hit that you don't clean lowers the effectiveness and control. If I want to know consistently how my flight is I've gotta clean em after most shots unless I pick a few clean with no dirt :P

I doubt you'd notice much difference with the ball striking, but getting rid of sand and grit every couple shots might extend the life of your irons. Plus, it's kind of hard to dig out the dirt that's been hammered into the grooves with an extra 20 balls.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I clean my clubs after everyday of play which I thought was normal... I work at a golf club ans was amazed that people simply don't clean their clubs. Great example was a guy coming into the proshop and telling vokey wedges are horrible they don't spin for very long, I was astounded and asked him to see it, it was covered by so much grass you couldn't tell what color it was. I actually started a service in our proshop, we clean a set of clubs for 40$. I do it when there is nothing else to do and I make 35 out of the 40...
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

. . . we clean a set of clubs for 40$.

Wow, the insanity of wealthy people.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I actually started a service in our proshop, we clean a set of clubs for 40$.

I was on a society day last year and there was an old boy outside the clubhouse offering to give our clubs an "ultrasonic" clean for £5. He claimed that grips/shafts and head would all be as new. I was skeptical but went for it out of interest and what do you know - the old boy really delivered! All metal was super clean/shiny and grips were tacky like new. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the franchise...

Motocaddy S3
MX700 10.5° Driver; Aldila VS Proto 65R
MX700 5W; Aldila VS Proto 85R
MX700 20°, 23°; Exsar HS4R
MX300 5-PW; FST KBS Tour R MP-T 51°, 56°, 60°; Dynalite XP Gold S300Bettinardi BlackCarbon BC1Bridgestone e6+ balls

Yeah.....I'm in the minority I guess. The idea of meticulously cleaning every club after every round.....simply seems silly to me. After every shot I wipe down the face or brush/wash the junk out of the grooves (I have a small spray bottle attached to the brush on my bag. The faces and heads on all of my clubs look spotless....and I NEVER clean them at the house other than at the end of the season. Grips I'll wash down of course every few weeks but that's it. Sorry guys....but meticulously cleaning the entire bag is silly after every round. The difference in appearance is negligable at best.

No offense too.....charging $40 to clean clubs is ridiculous! Paying $40 is even more ridiculous!!

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

You are OCD. Most guys I know clean their clubs a couple of times a year whether they need it or not. This is golf forum filled with golf nuts. The responses you get here are going to be a bit skewed IMHO

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

The idea of meticulously cleaning every club after every round.....simply seems silly to me.

Hey, the OP even questioned the practice, so you're no alone. I used to do this before a big match or tournament, then I realized it just made me fret about things that didn't matter. I was more nervous before the round - how's that for weird?

Now when I go to the range or play I just give them a quick wipe. Just make sure to clean them before the mud and grime changes the swingweight!

I was accused of being obsessive compulsive my my wife and one of my playing partners this week on 2 seperate occasions about one thing I do every week without fail.

As someone previously mentioned, OCD is pathological and must interfere with everyday functioning. I know you didn't intend it literally, but thought I should chime in with a clinical perspective. Now if you are constantly thinking about cleaning your clubs when you should be attending to other matters and it interferes with your ability to complete everyday tasks, then you need to pay a professional some money to help you... I know a good one

I usually bring them into the house for cleaning about every 6 weeks. I play twice a week. I maintain the grooves with a brush on the course, but as far as getting the dirt film off the club, once every 6 weeks or so. My wedges I might hit with a towel and some spit a little more often. Your not really OCD, you just have a schedule.

pretty much do the same you do. probably should clean a little more though as i play a little more than twice a week and when not playing at the range everyday... oh well. we swing these things 100+ mph at a solid object. Surely a little dirt on them for a little bit wont hurt.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Note: This thread is 5125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!