IGNORED

What tee box do you play from?

Philip9210
Note: This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I try for tee boxes which measure between 6000 and 6400 yds.

This is usually the whites or blues.

One course plays about 6700 from the blues, but due to quirks of layout, the blues work better than the whites. On three par 4 holes, the tee shot is blind from the whites, but landing area is visible from elevated blues. Also, a couple of short par 3 holes - drop shots over the water -are soft wedges from the whites - scary over water! I'd rather take a full 8 iron from the blues.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tees in the 6000-6300 yard range and a slope between 115-125, almost always the whites

I'll play that range no matter what others in the group are playing.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Most courses I play have 3 sets of men's tees. Let's say for argument's sake those are white, blue and black/yellow.

Blues when I play with friends. Tips when alone. Usually about the same score either way.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Depends on the total yardage.... nothing less than 6,000 yds so usually blue or gold tees.
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

I play at three courses regularly and I normally play the Blues there. The odd time just to change things up I will either play the whites or the golds. If I play another course I take a look at the yardage and play the tees between 62-6600 is available.T

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

My comfort level is a course setup between 6200-6500 yards, which typically are the blue tees at the courses in my area. However, I had a consistent 260 average with my driver during my round last week; if that kind of performance becomes a habit, I might have to try the blacks out sometime.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I generally play from the tees that setup around 6600 yards or a slope of 130-140 or a 71.5-72 rating.

On my home course, and the two other I play regularily... that would be the blue tees.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

When i am playing by myself, the tips. Even if it goes over 7000 yards, i will play from the back tees. I like the length.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Usually whites@6200, sometimes blues@6500 depending on partners but haven't tried the blacks@6900 yet.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

for me, the magic number is 6600. it gives a good number for the group of guys i play with. big variable is the par 3's a short course can look alot longer if all of the par3's are long. I enjoy playing the blacks (6900 at my club) from time to time, it changes the texture of the course a little bit.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Red? White? Blue? Which do you play from? Personally I play from the blue because even though I shoot 110 on avg. I feel I'm cheating myself if I play from any closer.

Assuming that you are referring to Blues being the tips... This is the idiotic logic that will continue to aid in keeping your handicap where it is. You are 18, you are probably still learning the game, check your ego at the door and don't play from the tips until you can play...

... It drives me nuts to follow a group of guys that tee it up from the tips and then proceed to hack their way down the course.

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

I usually dont play from a certain color. My typical round is anywhere from 6400-6800 yards with a 72-73 rating 130+ slope. Most courses have this as the blues, but some of the easier ones consider that Pro tees.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Assuming that you are referring to Blues being the tips... This is the idiotic logic that will continue to aid in keeping your handicap where it is. You are 18, you are probably still learning the game, check your ego at the door and don't play from the tips until you can play...

Finally a note of common sense. If he's averaging 110 (that's double bogey golf), then he has no business playing the back tees. He may not think that he's cheating himself, but is cheating everyone who has to follow him. That's the type of thinking that turns an enjoyable golf outing into a 5+ hour nightmare for everyone behind him.

My average scores are in the 80's and I DON'T play the tips on most courses. I choose the tees that would seem to best suit my game, and that is usually somewhere near the middle tee box.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Finally a note of common sense. If he's averaging 110 (that's double bogey golf), then he has no business playing the back tees. He may not think that he's cheating himself, but is cheating everyone who has to follow him. That's the type of thinking that turns an enjoyable golf outing into a 5+ hour nightmare for everyone behind him.

The scary thing is some people are just as slow and erratic from the front tees - but at least those pull hooks and banana slices will be closer to the green.

Personally, if I'm playing by myself I look at the par 3s and and long par 4s. If I can't get to the front edge of any par 3 with a solid 3-iron, and there are unreachable par 4s, I move up to the next markers. When it's a practice round I mix it up -- and I try to never play from a teebox that means I can't see the landing area.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I play whites when blue and white are separated. If there are only two boxes to choose from I play the back ones.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Nothing worse than waiting behind players who want to play the tips and all they do is duff druves, barely make it to the fairway. Honestly, there is no shame is understanding your limitations. If its recreation, not everyone has to play from the same tees.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

To everyone that is telling me that I am holding people up, I got 9 holes in yesterday(walking) in about 90mins, a little less actually. So please, don't complain to me about this. I know ready golf and I know how to play at a pace that does not hold up those behind me. I do end up catching people in front of me however which holds me up.

I play whites when blue and white are separated. If there are only two boxes to choose from I play the back ones.

If they're together, you play the short ones, but if they're separated you play from the tips? That there sounds like good solid avid golfer logic!

Note: This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!