IGNORED

What tee box do you play from?

Philip9210
Note: This thread is 5036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not going to comment on which tees you choose to play, but 9 holes in 90 minutes as a single is pretty slow. A golfer should be able to play 18 holes on a Championshiop course by themselves in about 2 hours, assuming no one in front of them.

Yea, there was a twosome in front of me that was going so slow, I had to wait at least 4-5 times for them to drive around the fairway, then circle back, then it goes on and on... :P

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the womens tee

just joking actually, my home course is a 9 hole so me and my buddies play middle for the front 9 and then the back tees on the last 9 . works out pretty good if you dont' hit the range before the round or you just arne't warmed up yet ; ()

If they're together, you play the short ones, but if they're separated you play from the tips? That there sounds like good solid avid golfer logic!

The other way around. I try to play the white tees, and that almost always means that I play whites when each color has its own tee box and it means that I play the white/blue tee box (the back one) when they are combined.

When there are only two tee boxes usually the white/blue ones are together and the red ones are up front because, among the courses I've seen, shorter courses tend to combine the tee boxes and it's usually white and blue that get combined.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I play from the back championship tees all the time just because, as the OP said, i feel as if i'm cheating the game or something.
In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

Usually the blues. It depends on who I'm golfing with. If I'm with my Dad, its the whites, with my buddies, we play from the blues. I've got the distance to make up for it, so it pretty much doesn't change my scores more than 2-3 strokes on a given course.

Tips. Preferrable yardage around 6800-7000.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Anyone who's a single digit and playing anything less than the tips needs to pick up a new hobby!

Haha well i just moved to the tips about 3 months ago, when I was around a 6 handicap from the 1-ups (6000 yards). When I started playing the tips my scores stayed the same, and even dropped a little bit. That's when I found that my preferrable yardage is 6800 yards. Since then my scores have kept dropping dramatically. My last scores were 74 (+2), 71 (-1), 36 (e), 36 (e), 36 (e), 35 (-1). The handicaps dropping fast, while the temperature keeps rising ;)

Taylormade RAC 58º

Don't have that many tee boxes here.

Red = Ladies and juniors
Yellow = Men
White = Champion

I play from yellow tees. Never take much notice of the length of a course. Each course is different, the longer it is, the harder it is, don't see why I should change tees for it. Same thing for everyone, and it helps keep a consistent handicap.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same thing for everyone, and it helps keep a consistent handicap.

OK, I've seen this several times, and I don't get it. The handicap is going to be the same from any set of tees, doesn't anyone realise that? Each set of tees has its own slope and rating, so you don't actually get a lower handicap by playing from forward tees, or vice versa. There is no reason to play one set of tees or another for handicap purposes.

OK, I've seen this several times, and I don't get it. The handicap is going to be the same from any set of tees, doesn't anyone realise that? Each set of tees has its own slope and rating, so you don't actually get a lower handicap by playing from forward tees, or vice versa. There is no reason to play one set of tees or another for handicap purposes.

It depends on if you judge your handicap based on the slope and rating or based on par. I judge mine based on par (72) on my course. If it was based on the rating, then my handicap would be a 0.65. Can you do both? I always thought it was based on par...

Taylormade RAC 58º

Some people play inordinately better when they have short irons into every green. I am one of them, but I only play from the front tees every now and then to mix it up. Usually I am from the tips because I have to be, but it is a lot more fun to play from some of the closer tees occasionally.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It depends on if you judge your handicap based on the slope and rating or based on par. I judge mine based on par (72) on my course. If it was based on the rating, then my handicap would be a 0.65. Can you do both? I always thought it was based on par...

Of

course it's not based on par, it's never based on par, that would be insane. A par 72, 6,000 yard course with no water would be rated just as hard as a par 72, 8,500 yard course with water on every hole. All handicaps are based on differential score with slope and rating taken into account. There would be no way to even come close to a true handicap based solely on par.
Some people play inordinately better when they have short irons into every green. I am one of them, but I only play from the front tees every now and then to mix it up. Usually I am from the tips because I have to be, but it is a lot more fun to play from some of the closer tees occasionally.

Which is why some smart person came up with the idea of a "slope" in addition to the rating. The slope gauges how hard the course plays for a bogey golfer compared to a scratch golfer. A higher slope means the higher handicap will score more than their handicap + rating. So, an 18 handicap would never be expected to score 90 on a major championship course, more like 105, hence the higher slope.

Of

Well that's my bad for being ignorant I guess. I always went to par because I played the right tees for my handicap (unlike a lot of other golfers). SWEET. So that means my handicap is really 0.7.....

Taylormade RAC 58º

Well that's my bad for being ignorant I guess. I always went to par because I played the right tees for my handicap (unlike a lot of other golfers). SWEET. So that means my handicap is really 0.7.....

Yep, congratulations. But now I get an extra stroke on you.

Well, I don't agree that it's the same. For me, having a 7i into the green instead of a 5i makes a big difference, more than the couple of shots I gain from moving down a set of tees. Also, I like having the challenge of playing different distances. I could maybe play courses where I get short irons into the green all the time, but that won't teach me to hit the longer irons, or use the driver to get within approach range on the par 4s.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Because sometimes scores don't change to match the ratings from one tee box to the next. On my home course (69.4/120 white - 71.5/127 blue), I generally score about the same from the blues as I do from the whites, mainly because I can miss a green just as easily with an 8I as I can with a 6I. Thus the added length doesn't affect my game as much as the added 2 stroke rating would indicate. If I always played the back tees, my handicap would actually be lower because I'd be entering lower differentials. This isn't always true when I play away from my home course because so many other factors come into play (including unfamiliarity) that don't necessarily affect my play at home.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!