IGNORED

What tee box do you play from?

Philip9210
Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand why it is a big deal to play from different tees with different people.

Some people apparently feel uneasy about it like they are being anti social. The one time I played the tips (was my best scoring round at my home course btw) it was because a single digit friend was practicing for a tournament and asked me to against my protesting. Funny thing is I was worried most about the par 3's especially one that jumps from 169 to 237 when you move from blue to gold since it has water short left, all right, and long if I didn't actually par that hole for the first time ever.

I attribute that round to less half shots into the greens. That even though I'm a beginner my weakness isn't really length but push slicing it OB or in the water (danger my bad side on 12 holes). Hitting 3 and still being on the teebox is bad no matter what color the box is. As to the thread at my course I typically play blues if I'm practicing by myself now days. Red 5068 White 5678 Blue 6100 Gold 6664 I did start at the whites. When I noticed my satisfactory drives, not long bombs, from the blues in our weekly mens scramble was as long as everyone elses I decided I might as well practice from there. Really my score is the same from both just due to the penalties I take.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly believe people should play whatever tee's they are comfortable with. It's all about hitting a variety of clubs into the green in regulation. For par 4's 3 iron to sand wedge. For par 5's maybe an ocassional go for it in two, bur for the most part short iron for you third shot. For par 3's mid to short iron. Find an overall yardage you're comfortable with.

Usually blues, but regardless of color, the tees that fall within the range of about 6300-6900 yds. I stuck to the white tees at most courses until I broke or consistently came close to breaking 80 at that course. Far too many golfers playing too far back, I've played with them, and I've seen tons of them around on the course. And it undeniably slows down the game for everyone involved. I am no great shakes as a golfer, but in the last year and a half I've been paired with exactly 2 people who beat me during a full 18-my father and a 19 yr old college player. Come to think of it, the 19 yr old didn't beat me, but he played from the championship (7050 yd) tees while I was at the blues (6700 yds), so he was definitely a better ball striker. When I'm playing with my crappy-golfing newbie friends I either hit from the whites to set a good example, or I explain that I'll hit first from the blues and then we'll move up. Course have gotten longer and longer over the last 20 years, but amateurs don't really hit it any further than they ever did. And there's no shame is a well designed 5600-6200 yd championship course-check out Mt. Woodson north of San Diego, or Pusch Ridge in Oro Valley.

Usually whichever tees play between 6800yds and up. There's a bunch of courses around here that max out at 6500yds, so sometimes I don't have a choice. The longer tees sometimes give me fits only b/c of the 200+yd par 3's which I'm not too great hitting my hybrid on.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Does this ever happen to anyone else out there? I play golf with a lot of my buddies that are mixed handicaps that ultimately should be playing from different tees when it comes down to it. A couple of them are a 3 and a 4 handicap but the others are about a 10 and 17. When I pay $65+ for a round of golf at a nice course, I'd like to play the tees as far back as possible, however that's not always the best fit for the 17 hcp guy, obviously. I do like to accomodate everyone, but not every single time, especially on the nicer courses we may not play that often. Am I wrong to suggest every once in awhile we play the back tees?

Why do you all have to play from the same tee??? Maybe you can handle it, but that 17 will likely never enjoy a round from the tips, and often the 10 won't either. That's especially true if that 10 handicap was established from the middle tees. What I can't understand is why you all have to play the back, or all play the middle... pick the tee you want and play it. Don't worry about what the other guys are doing.

I'm certainly not going to pay for a premium course and then play from a tee where I am more likely to experience frustration instead of enjoyment. But I certainly won't deny you the opportunity to play the tips if that is your path to pleasure. I don't see where the issue is. Isn't that why courses have multiple tee boxes?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like to play in the 6500-6900 range. For a lot of courses this is the back tee or the second to last tee. Many times we play with guys hitting from different tees. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Why do you all have to play from the same tee??? Maybe you can handle it, but that 17 will likely never enjoy a round from the tips, and often the 10 won't either. That's especially true if that 10 handicap was established from the middle tees. What I can't understand is why you all have to play the back, or all play the middle... pick the tee you want and play it. Don't worry about what the other guys are doing.

I've tried to play from the tips while subtly suggesting to my buddies that they might want to play from the blues or whites. They insist on joining me back at the blacks and "trying" to play from there - it makes for a long day. I typically only play from the tips as a single or when paired with strangers who were also planning on playing from the tips (or when they don't care either way).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I usually play Blue, unless it's a short course I will play the longest tees

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I look at the score card and play whatever the tee that is about 6800 yd. I can play comfortably upto 7000 yds, but most of my buddies can't handle that length so we end up with about 6800 yds. Even then some of my buddies have a hard time...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I play from Whites on my home course, around 6150yds, blues are ~6600. I have enough length to play the Blues, but don't see the logic in moving back when I'm a 13hcp scoring in the mid 80s. When/If I start shooting consistently in the 70s, I'll move back.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

If alone, I go blue. But most of the time I'm at the whites with my friends.

Hit'em Long and Strong
Big Tazz

Anything that gets me a course length of 6300-6800 yards. I try to at least get 6300 yards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I look at more than just length. Rating and slope should also be considered. Particularly if it's a course that's new to me, I'll often play one tee forward of my best yardage. I figure that I'm there to have fun, not beat myself to death and spend an extra $30 on lost balls. Once I know a course then I may or may not move back to my "normal" yardage of 6200-6500. Again, it depends on a lot of factors, but mostly it's based on where I can play the course from to derive the most enjoyment from the experience.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

always play the tips unless paired with with people who dont (my course has a big difference between whites, blues, blacks) to keep pace up, or anytime we have a club tourney we play from the whites unless its the club championship.

callaway ft5 9 degree driver
callaway diablo 15 degree
callaway diablo hybrid
callaway x forged 3-pw px 6.5
callaway x forged 51,55,59 wdgesbettinardi bc1 putter

I look at more than just length. Rating and slope should also be considered. Particularly if it's a course that's new to me, I'll often play one tee forward of my best yardage. I figure that I'm there to have fun, not beat myself to death and spend an extra $30 on lost balls. Once I know a course then I may or may not move back to my "normal" yardage of 6200-6500. Again, it depends on a lot of factors, but mostly it's based on where I can play the course from to derive the most enjoyment from the experience.

I usually look at the ratings, overall length, and especially the length of the par 3s. if they're all in the range where I'm playing long irons or longer, I don't belong on those tees. I'm less sensitive to length on the other par holes.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!