IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

On 6/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, saevel25 said:

Played 9 today. Struggled with the entire game. 

Hole 10- nearly topped a driver. Ended up 160 out in the rough. Hit a really good 9 iron that flew pin high, but one bounced off the green. Hit my pitch too hard and it ran off the green. Technique felt good. Hit the next pitch too short and two putted. 

Hole 11- Hit a low pull draw. I was trying to get more extension in the downswing. Hit my next shot to the back of the green, it was pretty decent. Then three putted. 

Hole 12 - Hit a really good pull fade to the front of the green on a short par 4. Two putted for birdie. 

Hole 13 - Tried to get more extension and I hit a slight heavy toe push draw into a bunker. Hit a pretty good bunker shot to 15’. Two putted. 

Hole 14 - Topped a drive about 100 yards forward. Then I hit a toe push cut with a hybrid 100 yards. This is where I figured out that I was falling back in by downswing. I felt off balance trying to get more extension. On the next shot I focused on the extension, but also getting the club to go down left with my turn. I stripped a hybrid to pin high about 70 yards right of the pin. I needed to play it down the next hole to get most of my yardage and have a wedge shot in. My next shot I hit a wedge shot that clipped some small tree limbs and came up short of the green. I hit a really good flip shot to 4’ and made the putt. 

Hole 15 - I hit a pretty good straight fade with my hybrid. I pushed a wedge to 30’. I two putted. 

Hole 16 - I hit a great pull fade with my hybrid. On this shot I focused on hitting a start line with the intent to cut the ball. On the next shot I hit the ball about 5 yards to far and it bounced over the green, about 10 yards below the green. I go on to hit a bad pitch across the green. I hit a better pitch to 8’ and two putt. 

Hole 17 - I pull draw the heck out of my driver into some trees. I totally forgot my intent to hit a start line and I just swung away. I was able to punch it to just over the green. I hit a decent chip to 8’ and two putt. 

Hole 18 - This time I remember my intent to hit a pull fade and I slightly pull it and I misread the amount of wind that picked up due to incoming storms. The ball didn’t fade and ended up under a tree. I punched out to just off the fairway. I hit a great low 9 iron (due to a overhanging tree) that bounced pin high and went over the green. At this point I wanted to try the hero flop shot and ended up catching to much and ending up in a bunker. I hit a really good bunker shot to 12’. I drained the putt. 

For me, I need to visualize my shot more and hit a start line. As for swing mechanics, I need to get extension, but also keep turning my body. I can’t hang back and extend or it gets bad. 

I need to work on my short game just to polish it up. Technique is OK, but the distance control is meh. 

I’m not an expert on scoring. But after reading that, it seems you just have to get rid of the horrifying shots.

Your swing looks good to my amateur eyes. 

Trust your swing, trust your “shot pattern” (I forget the term in LSW). Maybe work on your shot pattern in practice to entrain trust?

The awful course my group is playing at this year has a lot of internal OB. I just aim to a good spot and trust my shot pattern. I have done a good job not “steering” this year. My overall striking has improved

Definitely listen to the experts over me, but that’s my 2 cents!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I’m not an expert on scoring. But after reading that, it seems you just have to get rid of the horrifying shots.

Thank you for the comment. Also, I’ve only played 45 holes of golf this year and been to the range a handful of times. I’m rusty. Being rusty with 115-120 mph swing speed can equal bad stuff happening. I like how things are progressing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Thank you for the comment. Also, I’ve only played 45 holes of golf this year and been to the range a handful of times. I’m rusty. Being rusty with 115-120 mph swing speed can equal bad stuff happening. I like how things are progressing. 

My bad

Range session today. Worked on shortening the backswing and gaining more extension. 

Initial Swing

Final Swings

The swing feel is making a smaller turn and feeling the hands and club stop just to the right of my head. I'm trying to work on getting an extension feel to work. I mess around with straightening the left leg sooner and also feeling like my belt buckle points to the sky sooner. The shorter swing really helps with overall contact and control. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Looking at the video some more. 

1. I think the grip is OK in the face on view. 
2. I might be a tad too close to the ball? The hands are hanging more towards my ankles then over the toes of my shoes. A few strikes might have be slightly shank-ish. 
3. I like this position at the top when the swing is shorter. Nit pick would be the hands could be more over the shoulder, less right elbow behind me. 
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.25.12 PM.png
4. This is pretty good. 
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.27.23 PM.png

5. I agree that I need to continue to work on my extension through impact. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot better today. 

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/uC6NyeIiC7

Backswing feel, get a bit more extension in the right side and keep the swing short. 

Downswing feel, get more extension. 

overall it worked well. The swing felt more compact. 

pitching was Ok, I need a good practice session to get my feel back. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

7 Iron DTL - More extension in the backswing. Need to keep the swing shorter (maybe could flatten it off a bit). 

This one is feeling more extension thru impact. 

Driver - Tried to get more extension in the backswing. I started to hook the crap out of the ball. This one didn't hook. 

This one I took a very slow backswing to try to keep it shorter. Then the downswing was started with the hips more and trying to get more extension thru impact. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Spent 40 minutes working on pitching and chipping. I did some ladder drills and worked on some technique. 

For pitching I need to feel like my arms start down sooner in the downswing. This keeps me from hitting big pushes with my pitches. I think I can get stuck with my pitches. 

I was finally able to hit one of those really short lob shots with lots of club speed! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Current Swing
- Not much in the way of swing feels here. 

Swing After Drills
-This swing had the following feels. 
1. Slow backswing with the focus on taking the turn taking the hands a bit deeper from A1 to A3
2. Trying to keep the swing shorter and feeling the left wrist being flatter at A3-A4
3. Downswing is arms come down sooner in the backswing.

Just for kicks, I took a normal speed video of my swing with the very slow backswing feel. It feels like 50% slower, but it doesn't look like much on video, lol. 

Face On View
-Same sorts feels as above. Slower backswing, hands a bit deeper. I didn't add in getting the hands down sooner/faster yet. 

Remarks
- I like A1 to A2 with feeling more depth with the hands. I am trying to get the club a bit more shallow at A4. I can't get my hands and arms to do it well. I I like the swing length. A5 looks good. At A7, I could get my shoulders a bit more open. 

Swing feels are don't let the hands kick out away from the body at A1 to A2 as I turn. Feel like the left wrist is flatter at A3-A4. The backswing will feel slow. Keep the swing shorter and start the downswing sooner with the arms/hands. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Book ended a decent round with two bad holes. 

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/AL0t9aV0N7

I am struggling with missing left with my driver. I looks like a straight hook. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/UUpUt2ynP7

Played 18. Overall, a mix bag for the swing. Some really good shots and really bad. Short game was kind of a mess for 5 holes. I like the direction things are going. I’ll hit the range tomorrow with some more video. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Tried out getting the swing flatter and pushing the club out more on the downswing so it comes less from the inside. 

it’s hard to figure out what feeling I want in the backswing. I don’t like to feel the club being laid off because I just flip the club way to shallow at A2-A3. The swings above, it’s hard to say what feel produces the swing. It’s more like hands stay in and then raise up more from A2 to A3. Its maybe feeling like the left wrist is flatter at A3. Also, the left arm feels straighter.

Maybe I don’t know what controls how the club flattens our in the golf swing. I don’t think it’s doing something like bowing the left wrist.

I am finding it easier to send the club out from A4

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range and worked on some swing feels. 

This one was me feeling the momentum of the club. Trying to see where the club goes naturally. 

This feeling is more starting the club back with the left hand, and having the left hand got up more than around. 

This is a swing that has a much shorter backswing. I figured out a shorter backswing feel with the driver. 

This is the driver swing that took me a good time to figure out how to shorten it. The feel I needed was almost like I was chipping the driver. 

The issue with the shorter swing is the timing. The swing feels very short in timing. So, I don't have the timing down yet to send the hands more out towards the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I'm glad you did this. I'll send you a message.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Went to the range and worked on some swing feels. 

This is the driver swing that took me a good time to figure out how to shorten it. The feel I needed was almost like I was chipping the driver. 

Nice work man. That's crazy that the driver swing you filmed feels like almost like a chip shot to you. I've noticed similar things especially with my irons, a "half" swing feel for me actually gets the club in a pretty good position at the top of the backswing and looks like a lot of people's full swing lengths.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

42 minutes ago, klineka said:

Nice work man. That's crazy that the driver swing you filmed feels like almost like a chip shot to you. I've noticed similar things especially with my irons, a "half" swing feel for me actually gets the club in a pretty good position at the top of the backswing and looks like a lot of people's full swing lengths.

Yea. I just go aggravated with the swing not being able to shorten up. I decided to just chip one out there and video tape the swing. I think it was just me saying, "Ok lets look at the other extreme". Then the swing was like A3.5-ish in swing length. So, I just focused on that feel for the next few to see what I can do with it. I think over time I was adjusting to the timing a bit more. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

I have noticed lately that my feeling on pretty much everything is like a 40-50% swing. I end up with a full back swing, in good positions but I don't have the aggressive move with my hips that causes me to get stuck. If I tell myself to swing at 40-50, my timing is so much better and my distance and accuracy are so much better. My teacher says that these swings look full and in control. If I think full, my back swing gets too long and I get out of sync which causes all kinds of issues.  Great work!

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

19 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I have noticed lately that my feeling on pretty much everything is like a 40-50% swing.

Yea, for me it's feeling like I am hitting a A2 position 7 iron shot. Though, it makes me wonder if I am over swinging that shot (taking it to A3-ish). 

The biggest thing will be if I can get use to the shorter swing that it allows me to manipulate the club position in the swing. When I was hitting drivers the swing felt way too compact to do it. I am really use to the overswinging giving me time to implement feels that allow me to manipulate the club position. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag