IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Took a different avenue. I went with more of a flow drill to see if I could get a bit less technical/mechanical in feel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's go over a horrendous round.

Hole 10 - Straight draw into trees. Hit a low hook 4 iron to pin high (nGIR). Slightly thinned a pitch over the green. Chipped on and two putted.
Hole 11 - Hooked a drive OB. Dropped were it went out and took a two stroke penalty (league rules). Pulled a 9 iron left and over the green. Thinned a pitch over the green. I have no idea how I hit this shot, but I was trying to hit a low chip and the ball went 90 degrees right. It wasn't a shank. Hit a low pitch that didn't reach the green. Pitched on and two putted. 
Hole 12 - Hit 6 inches behind the ball with a hybrid. Luckily it was a short hole and I advanced it to have about 120 yards left. Duffed a pitching wedge that somehow rolled over the green (course was firm, bouncy?). Hit a decent chip and two putted. 
Hole 13 - Hit a 9 iron like I wanted to slice the crap out of it. Ended up hitting it straight onto the right side of the green and it spun off the front. Two putted. 
Hole 14 - Hooked a drive OB. To save time, dropped where it went out and took two stroke penalty (league rules). Hit a very low 4 iron that bounded past the green into a lateral hazard. Dropped, and hit a good flop shot and two putted. 
Hole 15 - Hit a big toe push draw with a hybrid. Hit a gap wedge to about 2 feet and tap in for birdie. 
Hole 16 - Hit behind the ball again with a 3-wood this time. Was able to punch out towards the green. Thinned a pitch over the green. Chipped on and two putted. 
Hole 17 - Hit a halfway decent driver (not really a hole to hit a driver, but F-It at this point). Ended up behind a tree. Was able to end up back left over the green. Hit a poor pitch shot that ran off the front of the green. Two putted. 
Hole 18 - Hit a low straight hook drive into the trees. Tried to hit a hero low 4 iron (F-it again). Hit a tree and the ball went straight down. Hit another 4 iron punch shot that went about 50 yards over the green. Hit a lob shot over a tree that ended up rolling off the front (green is severe back to front). Two putted. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

My lesson today part of the two day group lessons/outing in/near Erie, PA. 

To help tone down how the club moves from A3 to A4, I changed how my right elbow works in the backswing. Adding a bit of width between my arms from A1 to A3

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.14.01 PM.png

I found it muckiest easier to shorten the swing because I can feel the right elbow position in the backswing more with it flared out more. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.13.09 PM.png

Secondary is continue to work on getting more extension in the left side. Just got to make sure that I continue with the weight shift forward so I am able to push the left leg up and not end up pushing myself back when I get extension in the left side. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.14.15 PM.png

Overall, this cleaned up contact a lot. It made the backswing more consistent and in turn the downswing more consistent. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Current swing with just focusing on right elbow piece. 

Some thoughts on the swings while practicing. 

1. Contact usually slightly thin.

2. It feels like I can’t get my right side through the shot most of the time. 

3. Shots range from good slight draws to pull draws to pushes. The good contact shots either are pull draws or good draws. The thin-ish shots are straight shots or pushes right. 

Here is me trying to hit a cut with the backswing right elbow feel. Just trying  it out to see if I could. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Comparing the first video to the screen shots above. 

1. Can still be a bit more elbow out at A3.5. The swings today were kinda in-between Saturday and my previous swing. 
2. I can do better in how I turn through impact. 
3. I can shorten the swing up. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
  1. Yeah.
  2. Definitely.
  3. Use #1 to do that. Stop when the arm goes away from internal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas, When it comes to turning. Is there something I could be doing that could make it easier to turn? Right now, I am stuck between two feels. Wanting to get my right side more forward through impact so I don't tilt back. The other is trying to gain extension in my left side. These seem to fight each other. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

If your right side works down and forward, your left side works up and back (kinda, more the up).

The right shoulder can drive down which teeter totters the left side up. Ditto for the hips.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

If your right side works down and forward, your left side works up and back (kinda, more the up).

The right shoulder can drive down which teeter totters the left side up. Ditto for the hips.

Makes sense

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

DTL View - Feeling right elbow in the backswing, and squishing rights side and keeping getting the rights side through. 

DTL view - finally got the swing shorter. Same feels as above. 

I think keeping the swing shorter will help. I noticed on the video when I swing to long, my hands start to pivot over my elbow, opposite how the elbow moves in the backswing. This swing felt like I could turn better. my Main focus will be on swing length. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

DTL 7 iron - Swing thoughts is more of the right elbow feel. 

DTL 7 iron - More right elbow feel while keeping my focus more on the ball. Sometimes I can loose focus of the ball when I am practicing. Also, my intent is to start the ball left of my target line. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Two swing feels
1. More right elbow feel
2. Right side gets to left foot while lower legs feel like they don't do much. So it feels like the torso turns only. It also feels like the head stays steady vertically. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

And…?

Good?

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

And…?

Good?

Yea, much better. 

Divots are much shallower. The ball flights are pretty good. I think for the most part I hit slight push draws or slight pushes. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, much better. 

Divots are much shallower. The ball flights are pretty good. I think for the most part I hit slight push draws or slight pushes. 

Good.

Driver too?

Just now, iacas said:

Good.

Driver too?

I haven't worked with the driver yet.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

Some work on the driver

Current Driver - Right elbow feel, and right side through. Swing is way too long. 

Swing where I feel like I start the downswing when the hands are at shoulder height. Swing feels very fast (in terms of duration). This was the only one I could get to stop short at this position. The rest I get stuck overturning. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The questions are, 

1. Am I doing the right elbow enough with the driver?
2. Not sure the feel I need to shorten the swing. The first few things that come to mind are. 
a) Speed up the backswing and focus on hand position. This is what is shown in the 2nd video above. 
b) Speed up the torso turn rate compared to the arms. Which I think I achieve better in the 2nd video above, If I stop both videos at A2.5, the 2nd video looks like my hips and shoulders are turned a bit more. 
c) Start downswing sooner with the arms.  
d) any other suggestions? 

Overall, I like the 2nd swing a lot. I didn't catch well on the club face. 

For the most part, with the oversewing the flights were a mix of good draws, straight cuts, or pull hooks. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag