IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Yay, back was good enough to play 9 tonight. 

Started off slow, but that is to be expected with not hitting golf balls in 11 days. I just kept with focusing on torso turn with soft left arm. Then trying to get that left knee to go down and left. For about a 4 hole stretch I got stuck with a nasty snap hook. Then I figured out working in a bit of more right side forward with the left knee stuff. I started to hit the ball much better. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Struggled all day with the swing. Lots of low straight hooks (ball goes about 15 yards high or lower) or big push hooks (right side of fairway to left rough.) I tried to hit a cut and couldn’t get it to help straighten out the shot. My swing though was just turn with a soft left arm. 

My irons were also hit or miss. They tended to be much lower than normal. Or, low push cuts. It feels like the club is really behind me (shallow) at A6

Overall, the downswing felt very fast and like I was tipping back. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Struggled all day with the swing. Lots of low straight hooks (ball goes about 15 yards high or lower) or big push hooks (right side of fairway to left rough.) I tried to hit a cut and couldn’t get it to help straighten out the shot. My swing though was just turn with a soft left arm. 

My irons were also hit or miss. They tended to be much lower than normal. Or, low push cuts. It feels like the club is really behind me (shallow) at A6

Overall, the downswing felt very fast and like I was tipping back. 

Since you said you struggled with your swing all day, I'm curious how that translate score-wise for you.  The reason I ask is because at the outing I admired how fluid your swing looks and what a "bad day" with a swing like yours looks like.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

36 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Since you said you struggled with your swing all day, I'm curious how that translate score-wise for you.  The reason I ask is because at the outing I admired how fluid your swing looks and what a "bad day" with a swing like yours looks like.

I shot an 86 with a 9, an 8, and a 7 on the scorecard 😛 

I will say, I figured something out with my putting on the practice green and felt like I could make anything inside of 15-FT. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I shot an 86 with a 9, an 8, and a 7 on the scorecard 😛 

I will say, I figured something out with my putting on the practice green and felt like I could make anything inside of 15-FT. 

Haha, when that happens to me I shoot in the hundred teens plus! :-$

So, your putting saved you from putting up a huge number (or what I'd call a normal round for me)?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

2 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Haha, when that happens to me I shoot in the hundred teens plus! :-$

So, your putting saved you from putting up a huge number (or what I'd call a normal round for me)?

Yea, I think I had like 26-28 putts. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Add hitting three inches behind the ball to the list. Drives are still 60 yard push draws or big blocks right. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The bad downswing feel is the right shoulder tipping down. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The bad downswing feel is the right shoulder tipping down. 

Duh. C’mon man.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Duh. C’mon man.

I know, I know. 😩 Easy to feel. Stupid not to try to make it a focal point during the round. 

DTL View 6 Iron

DTL View 6 iron, Casting the clubhead at the ball. Just trying to take some of the inside out swing path away. 

DTL Driver - OVERSWING ALERT. OVERT YOUR EYES! Ok, every minute working with the driver will be on swing length. 😩 It is once again something I can not divert my focus from. 

DTL Driver - Slower backswing to try to feel the backswing length. On what I feel as my normal backswing speed, I can't feel the club head position at all. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

To help with contact I did more of a preset swing. Weight forward feel in the swing. Hit down more at the ball. At least I stopped thinning shots and hooking them off the planet. Unfortunately it took me to the back nine to do it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Finally figured some things out on the range.

1. Slower backswing to help feel the backswing length.

2. Feel more pressure under the lead foot from A4 to A5

3. Push off the left foot, lots of pressure feel under left heel. 

videos to come later. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Current Swing 

6 Irons Swing 
1. Feeling more pressure under the left foot from A4 to A5. Then feeling like I push off with my left leg only from A6 to A7
2. Still a bit of right side forward as well
3. Backswing is just a slower backswing, keeping my arms more passive. 

Driver Swing - Same feeling as above. 

General Comments
1. I didn't know how much getting that left leg to extend would help clean up my contact and increase my turn rates. I should have been working on this more since it was one of my priority pieces. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

New thing to work on. 

Swing Left!!! Feel like I cut the ball and that I turn and get my right side forward. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 18 with some friends. We played a 3 man scramble. My two friend are 30+ handicap golfers. 

I worked on swinging left. It’s starting to be much easier. Good sign. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Good.

Did you hit any fades?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Good.

Did you hit any fades?

A couple. A few that would have been if I didn't hit the ball out on the toe. Mostly the ball went straight maybe a slight pull. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Good.