IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Looking good, Matt.

Love the shoes. 

I have that same foam roller. I use the "rumble roller" all the time. BTW - Is that an Axis and Allies game I see on your shelf? 
Take care, keep up the good work. Good seeing you this past weekend. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

BTW - Is that an Axis and Allies game I see on your shelf? 

I have about 3 different versions of Axis and Allies. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I have about 3 different versions of Axis and Allies. 

I haven't played in years. But I always enjoyed that game.
Speaking of game. Your short game looked to be on point when I saw you this past weekend. 

The flop shot on 18 was a thing of beauty. 👍

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

Good. As you get the feeling for this, and add speed, it will go longer, so it will take more and more focus to find a way to make the swing the right "length" for you.

I know hard this is. But you're talking to the guy who owns the trademark for "Golf is Hard®" so… no pity. 🙂

P.S. Those swings are much better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Some backswing work today. Trying to stop the backswing shorter and keep the back of the left hand facing away more.

You need to get a piano like @GolfLug.

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Looking good, Matt.

Thank! It is much easier now to get there at slow motion than it has ever been. 

19 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I have that same foam roller. I use the "rumble roller" all the time.

That foam roller is evil. I can only due like 5 passes on it before its to much. I need to get one of the softer ones. 

26 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You need to get a piano like @GolfLug.

No piano in the future. I would probably get a guitar or drum set if I ever wanted to pick something up. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

No piano in the future. I would probably get a guitar or drum set if I ever wanted to pick something up. 

Drum set would be cool for chipping practice!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Doing some mirror (window at night) swing work, where I look up to see how far I am taking the swing to feel the length of the swing with different tempo's. Right now I am feeling the length of the swing more with my right arm position and body turn. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range. Mostly worked out trying top speed the swing up a bit to see were it is at. Pretty decent with the irons, not so good with the driver. Then hit some pitches with the new wedges. Liking them 🙂. Still got to get use them looking thick. 

Still got too slow down the backswing to feel it stop sooner. So it doesn't carry on as long. Not ready to ramp up. 

A smidge closer, but could like to be a bit shorter. This was slower backswing. Back of left hand facing away more. Hands feel like they are head height (right ear) when I start the downswing. Could stand about 1 ball width further away from the ball (maybe). 

Driver Swing - This one will take a while, with a lot of fricken effort. I might spend a lot of my time on the driver versus the irons. The same feel for the irons just don't work here. At least a the speed I want.

So for the swing, the feeling is keeping the hands as far away from the body as possible at A3, but not by just keeping the arms straight as long as possible. The feeling was to start the downswing when the hands are head height. I think going forward, I am going to try to feel like the hands are not at head height, but more at shoulder height. Wrist bent at 90 degrees and hands are at my shoulder. 

Besides that, needs to be a bit more squatty, and more right side over the ball (squishy). 

Iron and more so Drive
1) Keep feeling like the downswing starts, and the hands stop ascending at or just short of shoulder height. I am starting to feel this position better. I can stop by backswing with the driver when I feel my right arm travel on way too much. 
2) Feel like hands are pushing away from the body at A2 to A3. I like this feel to help feel where my hands are at in the backswing. If they just go up, and I let the right elbow break then it just carries on for days. 
3) Still work on squat move with extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some image goals...

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 8.43.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 8.43.57 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Round Summary...

Driver - Tried to keep it short. I didn't feel my arms extend behind me when I really over swing. I probably was still a bit long. Overall, not bad. Direction control was a bit off. Not use to timing it, it got better later in the round. One a few holes, I just hit driver because I wanted to when I shouldn't have. They were stupid lines with high risk and not much reward. I was out of it after taking an 8 on a par 5 (no penalty). Early on the shots were just big pushes right. Then they finally started to straighten out a bit. 

Irons - For the full swing shots, pretty decent. Shorter swing feel. Then hands down sooner. Arms felt like they were never stuck behind me. Contact was good. 

Distance Wedges - This is a struggle. I need to practice how far back to take the club. I think I take it back similar on each distance, but just vary turn rates and clubhead speed. This gets me in big trouble when anything gets to be around under 75% distance. I need to work on not keeping the left knee flexed so long or saggy into impact. 

Pitches - Need more commitment to using some speed. To many were just lazy. This caused contact issue, mostly slightly fat. Its slightly better. 

Putting - Not making anything, speed control was good. Tap ins on every hole. Contact is inconsistent, I still heel to many putts. 

Ended up shooting a 44, with an 8. That 8 was because I chunked a distance wedge into the bunker. I had like no turn at all, and just bottomed the club out before the ball. The bunker had little to no sand. The club just bounced up into the ball. I swung to hard for the amount of sand. The ball just flew over the green about 5 yards. I chunked a pitch shot that was on a severe upslope. I finally got the ball onto the green and two putted. 

I think I am going to start working in more of the left leg stuff. Just need to clean up impact more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Distance wedge practice…

New wedge distances. Which are Max, A3ish, A2ish. All with 90% swing speed. 

52d - 124, 104, 82

56d - 112, 92, 72

60d - 100, 80, 60

For full swing, I need to be more straight arm into finish to keep the flight down. I was hitting either 112ish or 102 on similar feeling full swings due to a little flip at the ball or not. 

Distances for 3/4 A3 pitchy shots with decent speed. Like 80% full swing. 

52d - 72, 56d - 62, 60d - 52 yards

worked on hitting pitch shots from 50, 40, and 30 yards.

Found I didn’t grip the club hard enough with the left hand. When I felt like I kept consistent grip pressure throughout the swing then contact was cleaned up a lot. Hit 52 degree pitch shots from 30 yards into a 15 ft circle 90% of the time. 

Torso turn towards target is a good feel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

Some change the picture work in Erie…

A2

3C162225-A136-40C0-9EBB-AFBE21DFEDB7.png

Versus 

4CFEE7CF-DCEB-4E86-A746-0A7DCDC40905.png

A3

46E2327B-BF94-4F0A-9403-BE671D95A411.png
versus

11356657-2A9E-4662-B5CD-7EC85CA36A2F.png

A4

8D6B3264-7E91-41C2-AB70-89F399BBBF8F.png
versus

F54F2B6D-E3EA-491F-98C9-C606680896D5.png

Key takeaways...
1) body turn carry the arms
2) Feel like my right elbow gets off and stays away from my chest
3) Feel like the club is perpendicular to the ground at A3, with the hands just to the right of my head. 

Confirmed some distance wedge numbers (feeling A2-A2.5ish, A3-ish, Full Swing)

52d - 85, 105, 125 
56d - 75, 95, 115
60d - 65, 85, 105

Here are some numbers for the 56degree at A3ish, 90-98 carry, 1.13 - 1.27 smash, 9000-11000 spin, 30 degree launch, 27 yard height. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Thoughts on short game.

Grip the club firmer in my left hand. The club was way to lose. I went from what felt like a 2 out of 10 to a 6-7 out of 10. Cleaned up everything. 

Hit 11/12 pitch shots from a hard driving range to a practice green about 35 yards away getting everyone inside 10’. I was even messing around hitting high more pitching shots to a more pitchy punch shot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, need to exaggerate things more and slow things down. 

Current at A2

IMG_1981.jpeg

After Drills at A2

IMG_1977.jpeg

At Erie last week A2

IMG_1973.jpeg

A3 Current

IMG_1982.jpeg

A3 after drills

IMG_1978.jpeg

A3 at Erie

IMG_1975.jpeg

A4 Current

IMG_1983.jpeg

A4 After Drills

IMG_1979.jpeg

A4 At Erie

IMG_1974.jpeg

Summary
A2 - Less depth needed here. Do a good job keeping right elbow above left elbow which keeps the club outside the hands. 

A3 - Right elbow needs to be slightly higher than left elbow here. Did it better after the drills. Hands are deeper here as well than in Erie.

A4 - Swing carried on way to long. Did better after doing some drills. 

Need to feel like the hands lift up a bit from A2 to A3. Keep the right elbow off the body, and keep the right elbow higher than the left longer. This helps control the swing length. 

Driver Swing... Only comments should be, "KISS".. KEEP IT SHORTER STUPID!!! God 😛 

Honestly, 
A2 - Fine
A3 - Hands could have less depth, and club could be more exaggerated here for the feel I was going for. 
A4 -  Honestly, the right elbow is away from the body. It doesn't travel behind me like it would previously. It's just the ability to keep the club from carrying on. 

Like stop it here! 😛 

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 9.00.00 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Like stop it here! 😛 

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 9.00.00 PM.png

I assume you are saying that you would like to see that as the A4 position of your swing, correct? 

Have you been able to achieve this, and can I ask how you did it if you did? 

Because for many years, on and off, I tried to change the length of my backswing, and noticed that even if I felt I was swinging shorter, often the swing still seemed as long on a video or photograph, judging by the position of the club head, anyway. 

Let's say you reached this position in the swing, and at this exact moment, with your body, hands, and club exactly as in the photo, you entered your transition and forward swing. Because of the momentum in the club head, I would assume that as you transitioned and began to swing forward, for a brief moment, the club head and shaft would continue to move toward parallel to the ground (more "wrist cock"), right?

Or not? 
How does one account for that?  Do you modify something else, besides the length of the backswing? Change the timing of the wrist cock? Or the speed of the wrist cock? 

In other words, using your words in your post, how do you keep the club from carrying on? 

Anyway just wondering if you work on this or if it's even relevant. )

Edited by Big Lex

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

3 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

I assume you are saying that you would like to see that as the A4 position of your swing, correct? 

Yep. Body has fully turned. No need to go further. 

3 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

Have you been able to achieve this, and can I ask how you did it if you did? 

Couple of times during practice, but the backswing feels like shit. I should just stick with it, lol. Changes always feel stupid for a while.

The feel is like, stupidly short. Like, it feels like my body just teeter totters back and forward. Like, if the swing feels like 2 seconds in duration, it feels like half a second in duration.  If i try to make it go any bit further, then it just goes on forever. 

A shorter swing makes it incredibly hard to feel like I can start a downswing. For me, my downswing is timed with the overswing. So, I feel the club carry onto to a certain point, and it feels like a good spot to leverage the club in the downswing. When I swing short, I feel like I got no leverage to hit the ball. 

Basically, I am trying to figure a way to make it impossible for it to do that. Which brings in keeping my right elbow off the chest more. Keeps it from bending and wrapping around the body. 

12 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

Let's say you reached this position in the swing, and at this exact moment, with your body, hands, and club exactly as in the photo, you entered your transition and forward swing. Because of the momentum in the club head, I would assume that as you transitioned and began to swing forward, for a brief moment, the club head and shaft would continue to move toward parallel to the ground (more "wrist cock"), right?

Yea, there is some carry on with the club. Probably why It carries on farther than I want. My timing is, weight for the club to stop, then rip it. That is what it feels like. I have always been very hitty with the swing, and less turny. 

I might need to feel like I start my transition sooner in the downswing. Like at A3, weight shift forward, start the rotation with the left hip. The main focus for me is the clubpath in the backswing and the arm position to control the backswing length. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I have always been very hitty with the swing, and less turny. 

I might need to feel like I start my transition sooner in the downswing. Like at A3, weight shift forward, start the rotation with the left hip. The main focus for me is the clubpath in the backswing and the arm position to control the backswing length. 

As to the first point, I'm not completely sure of what you mean by hitty rather than turny, but if you want to see a swing where the hips are not sliding and turning enough on the forward swing, look at mine ) FWIW (from someone who is not an expert at golf or at swing interpretation), your swing looks great. I can see why you want a different position at A4, but what happens after than looks like an expert golfer to me. The sequencing of everything, the movement of the hips, the way the upper body and club follow it, the plane, all of it, looks like an expert golfer to me. I would love to see my swing look more like yours. 

As for the second point, yeah that would seem to be it. If you begin to transition earlier, the club would lag against the transition and you would have some sensation to react to. Maybe for a while you just have to tell yourself to begin the transition early, and then eventually the forward swing from this new place will feel more and more comfortable. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert