IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Swung better today. My iron miss is still to random with a straight draw to a push fade. It’s though to figure out how to aim. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Swung better today. My iron miss is still to random with a straight draw to a push fade. It’s though to figure out how to aim. 

I know that struggle well. It’s really hard to score when you don’t even know how to pick a target.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I know that struggle well. It’s really hard to score when you don’t even know how to pick a target.

Yeah. Those push fades and straight draws are just devastating.🥴

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Well, when you play bad enough to take you out of any money possibility, time to just practice on the course. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

To date video of the golf swing. 

The issue I am having is this swing is producing a lot of volatility in strike and ball flight. 

With regards to my list of stuff to work on. The struggle I am having is the transition item, of sending my hands down and away from me. 

I struggle with trying to feel that move when playing or when trying to hit shots at all. In the end, I feel like I am casting the club more than I should, and when I do hit a good shot it's SUPER high. Most of the time, I just chunk the ball when I do this piece because the timing is difficult for me to get. Thinking of this piece tends to make my swing very long. I am not sure yet if this is something that I can just work on with drills, and have it work its way into the golf swing versus something I need to think about while playing. 

Here is a video of me working on starting my downswing sooner. I am not thinking about anything except being aware of the amount of torso turn I get on the backswing and then turning forward. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The issue I am having is this swing is producing a lot of volatility in strike and ball flight. 

With regards to my list of stuff to work on. The struggle I am having is the transition item, of sending my hands down and away from me.

It's starting before that.

Setup is back on the heels.

01.jpg

Backswing is too shallow and then gets too steep and long (because you need that time to get the club across the line/steeper):

02.jpg

Then the right elbow doesn't extend much at all early:

03.jpg

You're not going to be able to turn the right shirt seam through when you have to tip back (which is what you're actually doing) to shallow the club.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A few minutes of drills. 

COVID drill for backswing extension. 

Trying to work on backswing path. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Backswing work notes. 

1. Hinge a bit sooner A1 to A2 (went back to the COVID drills on backswing)
2. Carry the arms up with turn (get backswing turn correct). 
3. Have a softer right arm in the backswing. This helps it bend more and get off the chest more. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I would grade my swing as a C+.

I like the earlier hinge then turn. I still need work on the backswing turn. Overall contact was better.

Absolutely obliterated a 3-wood off the fairway which felt effortless.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Got out to the range at lunchtime. 

DTL 7 Iron, current swing

FO 7 Iron, backswing length stuff.

DTL 7 Iron (trying to feel flattening the swing at the top)

Some things I worked on. 

1. Backswing, trying to figure out how to flatten the swing from A2 to A4. As soon as the swing gets long, the angles with my wrist and right elbow fling the club across the line. 
2. Backswing length, trying to feel the backswings stop at A3. Trying to feel my right right elbow stays more in front of me. When the swing gets longer the right elbow wants to creep around me, and the club will just want to fling across the line at the top of the swing.
3. Need to work in backswing turn stuff more. Not doing that well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

DTL 7 Iron (trying to feel flattening the swing at the top)

Don't do that.

1. Backswing, trying to figure out how to flatten the swing from A2 to A4. As soon as the swing gets long, the angles with my wrist and right elbow fling the club across the line.

No. It's too shallow early already.

2. Backswing length, trying to feel the backswings stop at A3. Trying to feel my right right elbow stays more in front of me. When the swing gets longer the right elbow wants to creep around me, and the club will just want to fling across the line at the top of the swing.
3. Need to work in backswing turn stuff more. Not doing that well.

This all relates.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Makes sense. 

Yea, when I looked at the video on the range, it was easy to see the right elbow is causing me the issue. 

That video helped out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range today, tried to work on my backswing. Not to successful. Couldn't find a swing feel or combination of swing feels that got me closer to being in a better position at the top of the swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Changing the picture a bit.

Initial Swing

Better Swing (30% backswing swing speed)
1. Turn carries hands back from A1 to A2
2. Right elbow stays more in front of me as it hinges up away from my chest. 
3. Slightly more wrist turnover to open club face in the backswing. 

Another better backswing. Similar feels as above. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Those are better. There's no secret to stopping the swing shorter. I work on it all the time. Sometimes you just have to make yourself do it.

There are things that make it easier. The shaft and elbows working properly can help.

But they alone are not the entire fix.

Better ball striking tonight. Especially off the tee, though my ball flight might be a bit to high now. A good high, as in low spin.

need to work on short game and pitching now. My scrambling is like 10% so far. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Better ball striking tonight. Especially off the tee, though my ball flight might be a bit to high now. A good high, as in low spin.

need to work on short game and pitching now. My scrambling is like 10% so far. 

You need to work on your full swing, slow, for the next few months.

One day of "better" ball striking doesn't mean you're done.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You need to work on your full swing, slow, for the next few months.

One day of "better" ball striking doesn't mean you're done.

Oh, I am not moving on. 😉

I meant, like spend like one afternoon next week at the short game green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag