IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Played 18 today. 

Just some feels that work well .

Irons - Good neutral stance. Athletic balance. Swing back to A3, feel hands pushing away from chest, and wrist cocked a bit more than typical for me. Downswing is feeling hands down, right palm feels ontop of the club, to A6-ish. Then just feel the left side turn out to bring the club to impact. I had one iron where most of the power was from that late turn. My co-workers I was playing golf with were like, "Did you hear the sound of that!". 😁

Driver - Still struggling here. Not as much off the Course, but still hitting to many slices. Best results were shorter and slower feeling swings. Though, sometimes when I try to swing slowly, I do not turn well at all. So, it's slower, shorter, good hand position, and turn well. I will focus on some driver swing work. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok, I got to go to the range to work on the driver. It is terrible right now. I didn't play today, but went for a driver fitting (its free, so why not). They had the trackman out. The driver swing is not good. Mishitting the crap out of the ball to the point the spin rate is going at 3500 rpm. 

Mostly, it is me just cutting the crap out of the ball. I am just pulling my arms in at impact. I can feel my elbows getting closer to my chest past impact. It is just tough for me to feel like I can get my arms down. So, yea, got to work on this.  

Got fitted for the Taylormade Stealth Plus, 8.0-degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70, 6.5 flex, tipped 1". Produced 13 degrees launch and 2300-2400 spin on decent strikes. Didn't buy it though. Going to mull it over. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Got fitted for the Taylormade Stealth Plus, 8.0-degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70, 6.5 flex, tipped 1". Produced 13 degrees launch and 2300-2400 spin on decent strikes. Didn't buy it though. Going to mull it over. 

I think your current driver can be fine.

Make slow swings hitting the driver 150 yards if you have to where it gets wide (extending the right elbow will "get your arms down") and comes into the ball with a slight positive AoA. You're down and across, by the sounds of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yay, a good night driving the ball!!!

I tried to make swings where I restricted my hip turn with my right knee, not letting it crash away from the target as much. I would feel a stretch or support from the inside of my right thigh. Also, feeling more of a torso stretch. Then just unwind everything. Still tried to feel my right elbow lose angle more in the downswing.

I was trying to control the amount I over turn in the backswing by controlling the hip turn and shoulder turn by using my left leg and core muscles. 

Swing felt much more stable and still powerful. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, driver swing got lucky yesterday. Video is not so good. 

Here is me trying to extend the right elbow sooner in the downswing drill. Take it to the top, pause everything, drop hands down by extending right elbow. 

First Attempt. Not a fan of how I reload the golf club to swing down. 

Second Attempt. Just really focused on starting the downswing by extending the right elbow. 

Not really posting video of my current driver swing at full speed. It's just the typical over swing. Got to go back to figuring out how to keep the swing shorter. Right now, it's very late loading of the club (hinge of the right arm and wrist), everything collapses at A3 to A4, not time to extend right  arm enough from A4 to A6, and club is just stuck behind him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Got to go back to figuring out how to keep the swing shorter.

I've also been trying to work on this without much luck. It's not as easy as it sounds 

Edited by ShaftFarmer
removed whitespace

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Well, did another range session. Trying my best to figure out WTF I need to do to hit just solid tee shots. 

Here is some right elbow extending drills. 

Tried to slow the swing down, and hit shots out to like 150-200 yards, but I am just swiping at the ball. Most of the time, I am over swinging. I have to focus most of my attention on just keeping the swing shorter still. Its a big struggle to keep the swing shorter, while focusing on other things, like hit 150 yard shots and swing the clubhead out at the ball. As soon as my attention goes away from swing length, the swing gets super long. I have to train myself to stop the swing shorter. After that, I can figure out how to swing down at the ball. 

At this point, the driver is out of the bag for playing rounds. 

Here is my 7 iron swing just for reference (swing starts at like 0:17)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt…

03.jpg

You're not going to be there in a million years (nor should you want to be), so practicing what you do "from there" is pointless. You've gained no depth, your club is often laid off, your right shoulder is externally rotated… you're not going to get there. Then…

01.jpg

This isn't lowering. Lowering shouldn't take your arm way out there. Your right elbow is miles away from your ribs here, and your left arm is where it should be around impact because you've actually pushed the club out away from you.

You're bent over. Lowering is not moving the club across your body like that, or out away from you, it's lowering it toward your right hip (and only your right hip and not your zipper because your hips aren't turned 95° like your shoulders are. Like this:

02.jpg

Lower your hands and elbow THAT way. Down, away, "behind," whatever. Because it's not behind at all. It's "down." Why is it at an angle? Because your torso is at an angle. If you're bent forward like:

/

Then down is this way:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That all makes sense. 

7 iron drill practice... Ok, I need to get the hands to go more away from me, or back. This felt like I was taking it down to my right leg. 

Here is some tries with the driver.  Still looks like I am not getting the hands away and behind me more from the DTL view. Going to need to work on the feel that gets the hands down towards my right leg more. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Driver doesn’t go down anywhere near far enough, yeah.

The ones I watched anyway.

And it’s gonna feel like it’s 90% down before you turn.

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

Driver doesn’t go down anywhere near far enough, yeah.

The ones I watched anyway.

And it’s gonna feel like it’s 90% down before you turn.

It might feel more like I drop my right elbow to my side, and my hands down to my right pocket. Those attempts above, really felt like I was taking them straight down. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It might feel more like I drop my right elbow to my side, and my hands down to my right pocket. Those attempts above, really felt like I was taking them straight down. 

I’m saying the elbow can extend more and your hands should get much lower.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2022 at 5:56 PM, iacas said:

Lowering is not moving the club across your body like that, or out away from you, it's lowering it toward your right hip

This is what I figured out earlier this week and it's helped me a bunch. When straightening the right arm to start the downswing I like to feel as though my hands are working more towards my right pocket than out in front of me

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

This is what I figured out earlier this week and it's helped me a bunch. When straightening the right arm to start the downswing I like to feel as though my hands are working more towards my right pocket than out in front of me

Yeah, because your right hip is "in front of you." Because that's where the sternum is pointing.

• Thumbs Up 1

(edited)
41 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Yea, for me right now, I am trying to figure out a few things with this. 

1. The timing of it with the driver. The over swinging is still an issue. I use the over swinging as a way to start the down swing because I feel the club load SUPER LATE. 

2. The feeling that works best. It might be more I feel like I press the handle down towards my right foot with the palm of my right hand. I do not feel much with my right elbow right now. This is just me trying to explain more on what I feel doing slow indoor swings with a 7 iron. This could change. I am just trying to figuring out what I feel the best. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I think this is better, with regards to doing the drill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just to comment on the previous post of mine. 

1. I could probably get the hands deeper when practicing the hands down with the driver. 

2. I know I am not getting my weight forward (hanging back). Timing the hands down with turning is still something I am figuring out for the driver. One thing I tried was taking my hands down to my right hip. Stop, and then make a small pump and turn everything through. 

With that last swing. I was not carrying as much for the backswing. I was trying to feel the hands pause at the top of the swing to allow me to time extending my arm down. The contact was probably do more so that I didn't get the weight to my left side. I look like I am leaning back a bit to much. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

As far as feels go Cam Smith's feel for this in his Gold Digest interview recently has helped me. He says the feel he uses is just trying to let the hands drop from the top to all the way down in front of him. Obviously that's not what's actually happening, and I've also had to drill more actively getting myself into acceptable positions. I've done lots of pump drills from the top and around impact and the like :-DBut that feel has helped me start to make a better hand path feel more natural.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚