IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

I played a scramble once with the string. I can claim an ace if string roll counts.

Yep, that is possible!

I think we pretty much optimized our chances. I think we hit every green, but maybe only 1 or 2 of us did it at a time. We were probably 5 shots behind 4 mid to low single digit players, and we had two guys who shoot in the mid to upper 80's, one guy who is about a 10 handicap, and I run as an 8 handicap. So yea, I think we did pretty good with the scramble format.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scrambles are fun, but still way to open for cheating.

Well they are for fun right, so who cares about cheating. I know our group was out to see how good we can do, and we were happy with how we played.

I think if you want to make it fairer, lets say you have 30 teams, pay out to the 1st, 10th, and 20th teams. That way you are spreading the prizes around. One outing i was in did this.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Was in a scramble on Saturday, we did pretty good. -15 for tied for 5th place. The quirky thing about this scramble is you get a 3 foot string. Lets say you are on the green in two, and no one makes the putt, but the ball is 6 inches from the hole. You can cut 6 inches off the string and you mark down as you would have made the putt. The string gave us about 6 birdies, but still 9 under is pretty solid for our group to do on our own. We used the string on the first 6 holes, then racked off 7 straight birdies, and then finished strong with 2 birdies. We used one of the 4 mulligans to make a birdie.  The winning team was 20 under. They were a foursome of college golfers. So you give them the string + Mulligans. It is very plausible they had a few eagle putts they could use the string on.  Overall a very fun day.  As for my swing, it was hit or miss. I am still STRUGGLING with not letting my head fall backswards in the downswing. I can tell when I start thinning drivers. My iron play was pretty solid. My 3 wood off the deck is just stupid good right now. I am hitting the long irons with pin point accuracy.  I also have started to take the play that Erik showed me up in Erie, PA. Taking 1.5 - 2 clubs more and hitting it easier and lower. It was windy that day, and I just clubbed up two times and just flighted a ball towards the green. It almost feels really easy to hit greens this way.  Putting wasn't good. I don't know, just not there yet. I heeled a few putts, and I pushed a few putts as well. I am not getting the float thing consistent enough.

That sounds like a lot of fun, I'm glad you had a good time. I'm intrigued by the part I highlighted. Is that for all approach shots, or is it just something you did for the wind? I do something similar because I don't like to hit full SW and LW shots, but if I'm reading it right, maybe I ought to hit a 7 where I would normally hit a 9, and a 5 where I would hit a 7?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yea like on this one hole we had about 145 to the pin, I think I took my 162 club and hit a 3/4 shot. Number 13 we had 160 to the pin and I took my 175 club and hit a softer shot. Just easier to control a shot by clubbing up and hitting it shorter, you get much better contact. The first one I was 18 feet from the pin, the 2nd I was 25 feet. The 2nd I started too far right. The last hole we had like 145 into the green from the fairway, so I took my 162 club again and hit a controlled flighted shot to about 20 feet.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yea like on this one hole we had about 145 to the pin, I think I took my 162 club and hit a 3/4 shot. Number 13 we had 160 to the pin and I took my 175 club and hit a softer shot. Just easier to control a shot by clubbing up and hitting it shorter, you get much better contact. The first one I was 18 feet from the pin, the 2nd I was 25 feet. The 2nd I started too far right. The last hole we had like 145 into the green from the fairway, so I took my 162 club again and hit a controlled flighted shot to about 20 feet.

Interesting. That's a lot more clubbing up than I would typically think to do. If I have 145, I'll hit my 151 (carry distance). Same with 160, I'll hit 164. I'll have to try that out next time, thanks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Well apparently I can't get the float to work in my putting. I can't get past wanting to take a short backstroke and accelerate through the ball. ARGH!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well apparently I can't get the float to work in my putting. I can't get past wanting to take a short backstroke and accelerate through the ball. ARGH!!

Just a guess. I bet your to concerned with it. When you throw a ball it just happens. What I like to do is look at the hole and take a few practice swings basically feeling the distance I need to hit the ball. Then I pick my spot and trust what I was feeling in my practice swings. You have good hand eye obviously (see full swing). Don't think so much just feel and do.

Didn't @iacas say something once about making a backswing for a 50' putt and trying to hit it 15'? Was that a drill, or just a test of some kind?

Bill

My Swing Thread

Try the dime drill from LSW, p 112.  Place coins in front and behind (I do it by putter head length, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x etc.) and and have your putting stroke go back and through to the corresponding coin.  At first, just let gravity do its job.  Then add your normal light forward force to your putt but let gravity do most of the work.  You will find that you can get the ball to go a long way doing this and it is repeatable.  I focus on keeping my head still and don't follow the ball after impact with my eyes for a two count.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Matt, here are the two answers I would have typed up myself:

Didn't @iacas say something once about making a backswing for a 50' putt and trying to hit it 15'? Was that a drill, or just a test of some kind?

Try the dime drill from LSW, p 112.  Place coins in front and behind (I do it by putter head length, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x etc.) and and have your putting stroke go back and through to the corresponding coin.  At first, just let gravity do its job.  Then add your normal light forward force to your putt but let gravity do most of the work.  You will find that you can get the ball to go a long way doing this and it is repeatable.  I focus on keeping my head still and don't follow the ball after impact with my eyes for a two count.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Didn't @iacas say something once about making a backswing for a 50' putt and trying to hit it 15'? Was that a drill, or just a test of some kind?

Thanks guys I'll work on that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The Putting Stroke!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The Putting Stroke!

:dance:

Bill

My Swing Thread

Stroke looks smooth.  Try not following the ball with your eyes for a two count.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Yea the first set of videos i took, my hands were set up too much like Zach Johnson. I think that made it too difficult to get float. Too much angle to change. I remember Erik had me move the hands more forward to match my forward ball position. That hand position in the video above feels really forward.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yea the first set of videos i took, my hands were set up too much like Zach Johnson. I think that made it too difficult to get float. Too much angle to change.

I remember Erik had me move the hands more forward to match my forward ball position. That hand position in the video above feels really forward.

It is very similar to mine.

Scott

My Swing Thread