IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Finally got Excel to play nice on creating an ellipse. The data entry is done by hand. The Zero Line is my target line, and the (x,y) is were the ball ended up. I was able to remember a few other drives I hit last week (to get 20 most recent drives) using Google maps to plot them out.

To plot the ellipse I use the average of the 80% data points as the center (Xo, Yo). The "a" and "b" parameters of the ellipse are just the largest offset from the most extreme data point to the center. Adjusted at the end, by a few yards to make sure the ellipse encompasses all the data points I want.

This looks a bit better than my free handed drawing of the ellipse done in Autocad.

Looks like I need to adjust my drives to the left 15 yards.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finally got Excel to play nice on creating an ellipse. The data entry is done by hand. The Zero Line is my target line, and the (x,y) is were the ball ended up. I was able to remember a few other drives I hit last week (to get 20 most recent drives) using Google maps to plot them out.

To plot the ellipse I use the average of the 80% data points as the center (Xo, Yo). The "a" and "b" parameters of the ellipse are just the largest offset from the most extreme data point to the center. Adjusted at the end, by a few yards to make sure the ellipse encompasses all the data points I want.

This looks a bit better than my free handed drawing of the ellipse done in Autocad.

Looks like I need to adjust my drives to the left 15 yards.

Very nice.  Were you able to get on a Trackman or Flightscope?  Or did you work this out at the range or course by yourself?

I've made my one (PW) at the driving range estimating as well as I could.  The driver will be quite a bit harder because I'll really be estimating that far down the range.  (For the record, it would be physically impossible for you to plot your driver on my range because you'd be through the bushes on the other end :beer: )

But I'm finding that it's probably not terribly critical.  I know my decent carry distance is 250-260, probably varies more from 240-270, and I know that my misses tend to lean rightward, just like my PW and all the other clubs, and I know, obviously, that my driver dispersion is much greater than my PW.  I hope it's not quite 125 yards wide, but it's definitely big. :-P

Now, step 2 for you:  Figuring out how to get this and your courses plotted at the same scale so you can overlay your oval!  Any ideas??

Very nice.  Were you able to get on a Trackman or Flightscope?  Or did you work this out at the range or course by yourself? I've made my one (PW) at the driving range estimating as well as I could.  The driver will be quite a bit harder because I'll really be estimating that far down the range.  (For the record, it would be physically impossible for you to plot your driver on my range because you'd be through the bushes on the other end :beer: ) But I'm finding that it's probably not terribly critical.  I know my decent carry distance is 250-260, probably varies more from 240-270, and I know that my misses tend to lean rightward, just like my PW and all the other clubs, and I know, obviously, that my driver dispersion is much greater than my PW.  I hope it's not quite 125 yards wide, but it's definitely big. :-P Now, step 2 for you:  Figuring out how to get this and your courses plotted at the same scale so you can overlay your oval!  Any ideas??

I think he actually plotted these from his driver results from the course he plays by using google maps and knowing where the ball ended up and where he teed off... No need to go through bushes in the driving range ;)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Daaaaamn, those are some beast drivers. Have you ever bought/owned a driver specifically for long drive? 'Cause that might be fun.

Constantine

Very nice.  Were you able to get on a Trackman or Flightscope?  Or did you work this out at the range or course by yourself?

I've made my one (PW) at the driving range estimating as well as I could.  The driver will be quite a bit harder because I'll really be estimating that far down the range.  (For the record, it would be physically impossible for you to plot your driver on my range because you'd be through the bushes on the other end )

But I'm finding that it's probably not terribly critical.  I know my decent carry distance is 250-260, probably varies more from 240-270, and I know that my misses tend to lean rightward, just like my PW and all the other clubs, and I know, obviously, that my driver dispersion is much greater than my PW.  I hope it's not quite 125 yards wide, but it's definitely big.

Now, step 2 for you:  Figuring out how to get this and your courses plotted at the same scale so you can overlay your oval!  Any ideas??

I was able to remember my target line and where my ball generally ended up from my past 20 drives I took with my driver. Basically all the drivers from this past Monday, last Thursday, and last Wednesday. From there I used Google Earth to measure the Y-coordinate (how far down my target line), and X-coordinate (how far left or right it went). Then I just plugged those values into Excel. For a driver I think that would get reasonably close.

Note, these drives are on a hard running course. So not sure how I should plan for that. It would probably be a tighter spread on a course that is softer. I know some drives get some crazy roll. Like this one hole, if I clear the top of this hill it can run out near the green. That is about 60-90 yards of roll.

Yea, I think the best thing I can do is just look at the chart and say, here's my min distance, here is my max and the left and right dispersion is this, and then try to plan accordingly. Just remembering that the longer distance is left of my target line, and the shorter distance is right of the target line.

Daaaaamn, those are some beast drivers. Have you ever bought/owned a driver specifically for long drive? 'Cause that might be fun.

Probably couldn't hit that type of driver.

Most of these drives are on a very hard golf course. If you hit an iron shot, you would take like no divot at all. Like I mentioned before, one of the drives had upwards of 60-90 yards of roll (the longest one). The reason is, this hill sits slightly above the teeing ground about 280-290 out. If you clear that hill, it hits on a down slope and runs down towards the green. I've had drives that ended up 50 yards short, or rolled up near the green. Just depends on where it hits over that hill and how soft the ground is.

Like I said, not sure how I should adjust for these courses, but I suspect that dispersion is tighter due to less roll out, or hard kicks left and right.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I was able to remember my target line and where my ball generally ended up from my past 20 drives I took with my driver. Basically all the drivers from this past Monday, last Thursday, and last Wednesday. From there I used Google Earth to measure the Y-coordinate (how far down my target line), and X-coordinate (how far left or right it went). Then I just plugged those values into Excel. For a driver I think that would get reasonably close.

Interesting idea.  I have a pretty good memory for my rounds so I could probably pull this off as well.

Note, these drives are on a hard running course. So not sure how I should plan for that. It would probably be a tighter spread on a course that is softer. I know some drives get some crazy roll. Like this one hole, if I clear the top of this hill it can run out near the green. That is about 60-90 yards of roll.

Yea, I think the best thing I can do is just look at the chart and say, here's my min distance, here is my max and the left and right dispersion is this, and then try to plan accordingly. Just remembering that the longer distance is left of my target line, and the shorter distance is right of the target line.

I think you probably also need to have a fairly decent grasp on your average carry distance.

For example, on Sunday I had several drives over 300.  (Several sounds cooler than three :-P )  However, all of these holes had this same quirky feature:  Fairway pinches and rises where the fairway bunkers are, and then slopes down after that.  You get it past the bunkers and catch the downslope, and those things run for days.  Knowing that I could carry it 250 with a little helping wind was all I needed to know.  Well, that and the fact that there is no trouble lurking beyond that point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Probably couldn't hit that type of driver.

Most of these drives are on a very hard golf course. If you hit an iron shot, you would take like no divot at all. Like I mentioned before, one of the drives had upwards of 60-90 yards of roll (the longest one). The reason is, this hill sits slightly above the teeing ground about 280-290 out. If you clear that hill, it hits on a down slope and runs down towards the green. I've had drives that ended up 50 yards short, or rolled up near the green. Just depends on where it hits over that hill and how soft the ground is.

Like I said, not sure how I should adjust for these courses, but I suspect that dispersion is tighter due to less roll out, or hard kicks left and right.

Still, nice driving nonetheless. Good job making a shot zone too!

Constantine

You should see it in person. It's quite humbling.

- Shane

You should see it in person. It's quite humbling.

Ummm yeah, coming from someone who is not used to being out driven it can really get in your head.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Ummm yeah, coming from someone who is not used to being out driven it can really get in your head.

Mwahaha!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'd love to see it. I played one time with a guy who could consistently put it out there 300, it was very enjoyable to watch. Hmmm... Just realized @saevel25 might be getting creeped out by all of us drooling all over his swing thread.... :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Every time he rips a good drive, while he's enjoying it, ask him how his putting is ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Every time he rips a good drive, while he's enjoying it, ask him how his putting is

Getting better :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Every time he rips a good drive, while he's enjoying it, ask him how his putting is ;-)

Problem is, his putting usually isn't too bad. Now his chip/pitch shots can be a possible sore spot sometimes haha! Also, 14ledo82, I don't really drool over his drives. I'm pretty sure I'm going to at least get close to him with a couple more changes to my swing. And maybe a driver upgrade.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Problem is, his putting usually isn't too bad. Now his chip/pitch shots can be a possible sore spot sometimes haha!

Also, 14ledo82, I don't really drool over his drives. I'm pretty sure I'm going to at least get close to him with a couple more changes to my swing. And maybe a driver upgrade.

If I can follow Erik's advice and use some speed on my short game shots, then I do better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

[quote name="billchao" url="/t/34167/my-swing-saevel25/390#post_1025116"]Every time he rips a good drive, while he's enjoying it, ask him how his putting is ;-)

Problem is, his putting usually isn't too bad. Now his chip/pitch shots can be a possible sore spot sometimes haha! Also, 14ledo82, I don't really drool over his drives. I'm pretty sure I'm going to at least get close to him with a couple more changes to my swing. And maybe a driver upgrade.[/quote] Yeah I suppose I was more speaking for myself. I don't think I really have a chance to get even close to that far.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Overall, +1 36 :dance:

2 birdies, 1 double, 1 bogey, 5 pars.

7 GIR, 8 nGIR

16 putts, much better. I had a few balls that would have been dead center if I just hit them about 1-2 feet harder. For me the feel is to almost hinge the putter more than move the hands back, then let gravity deliver the putter to the ball.

Term to describe my tee ball for half the round, #BLOCKY!!!

Second hole, block cut  3-wood

Third hole, Big Blocked a 3 wood (about 80 yards right of my target line)

Forth hole, Block slice, ended up about 60 yards right of my target line

Sixth hole, Big Blocked driver, about 70 yards right of my target line

Final two drives were really good. Finally got my arms down quicker to match my hip turn, hit a beautiful push draw on the seventh hole, and a MONSTER push draw on the ninth hole. I was a tad upset with the 8th hole. The 9th hole is really open, so I just let one loose. Basically on the 8th hole I ended up in the bunker. The sand was horrible, imagine you are hitting a bunker shot from a beach after the tide has just went out and the sand is saturated and compacted together. I COULD NOT even rake my foot prints. The rake got STUCK in the sand. So, I chunked my bunker shot, and it embeds in the front side of the bunker about 3 inches from the lip. So I had to hit a shot out, only advancing another 2 yards. Luckily I stuck the chip shot to about 6 inches and got out with my double bogey.

Iron play was much better. I am finding it easier to do the hip move and not block irons, than I do with the woods. Not sure if it is just because they are a shorter club so they are more upright in the swing. Oh well.

I know @mvmac mentioned the video where Dave is throwing a rock. So before the round I made a few, no club swings, where I was imaging myself throwing the rock. I would hold my arms out in front of me, turn to a half swing and then just using my hips to initiate the move, chuck the imaginary rock. Then I tried the same feeling with the swing. Really helped today, everything felt solid, just timing was off with the tee shots and all those blocked shots.

I'll keep working on the back swing piece, and also getting my hips through more.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Term to describe my tee ball for half the round, #BLOCKY!!!

Lol, this could be your new nickname. Nice work, Blocky!

Seriously though, good job. :beer:

Constantine