IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator
Thoughts - Redux

Full Swing

Backswing - Less forcing the arm up and more turn and just lifting the arm up. I can get focused on just moving the left arm & hands and forget to turn correctly.

Downswing

From A4 to A5 my butt starts to come towards the ball. Maybe a good feeling is to keep the butt stuck out more to help facilitate the rotating part. Maybe it is a squatting type feel. I think a good drill would making swings with out a club with my butt against a wall or chair and feel that it stays out more in the swing.

The butt slides and rotates.

If you have a wall or a chair, put it against your butt at A1.

• At A4, the right outside butt cheek will be touching it.
  • At just before A6, both butt cheeks will be touching it (forward of where they were at A1).
  • At A7/A8, the left butt cheek will be touching it.

A little EE is fine, too, and not the reason for poor contact. After all, you've had a LOT of EE in the past and hit the ball fine. :)

Keep things simple.

Backswing

- Turn

- Left arm stays out

Downswing

- Forward while turning

- Staying in forward bend keeps butt out

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A little EE is fine, too, and not the reason for poor contact. After all, you've had a LOT of EE in the past and hit the ball fine. :)

New golf term, EE Syndrome :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Some slow motion practice.

Still making a good backswing from time to time just to add it in ;)

At A4.5 to A5 I try to feel my hips square with flex in the hips. This does feel like a squat position.

I hold at A5 in this position and then rotate to A7.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
Your hips need to slide forward too. I said that above. :-) Butt slides. Reconnects forward of where it was at A1.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your hips need to slide forward too. I said that above.

Butt slides. Reconnects forward of where it was at A1.

Face On View. I maintained contact with the chair.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Face On View. I maintained contact with the chair.

Good.

Be cautious of your head shifting forward...

Since my head moves away from the ball in the backswing from time to time. Getting my weight forward and proper extension will probably help keep my head steady by not letting it be pulled away from the target.

I think @mvmac has mentioned before that having the head move slightly forward is better than having it move backward. As long as it is steady till impact, it doesn't bother me much if my head moves forward early in the finish on video.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to Carmel, Indiana today to visit Dave and Erik.

This time around, Dave gave me some insight on my golf swing.

Backswing - Not really the primary piece for me now. It is better, and I can still work on it on the side a bit.

1. Left arm out still

2. Shorten the swing

3. Flatten the shaft at the top of the swing. I get to across the line to much.

Downswing - The piece I need to really hammer home.

I can still do some slow motion keeping the butt on the wall drill. As for driving range stuff, and on the course stuff.

1. Drive that right shoulder towards the ball, getting my upper body stacked more over the ball.

2. Start the ball right of the target line.

The major contact issues for me is the tipping back away from the target in the downswing. Yea that right shoulder, and staying overtop the ball really felt like a good feeling and thought for me.

Gate Drill

About 10 feet in front of the ball set up one alignment rod in the ground on the target line. Set up another about 12 inches to the right of that. Then hit balls, with my good downswing piece movement, forcing that ball through the gate. Really good drill for the driver.

Pitching

Stay more upright through the strike. I have a tendency to bend the knees to try to not thin it. Which causes me to fat and thin it. :doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Worked on some pitching and distance wedges.

Pitching it was taking the club back slower. Pivot keeping the shoulders level, let the club do the work.

Distance Wedges I worked on getting proper backswing length and then worked on driving that right shoulder to a more stacked position.

At one point I put 12 out of 15 balls inside a 20 foot circle of various distances from 70 yards to 30 yards. :)

edit,

I also noticed when I got the right shoulder more stacked at impact that my right arm was going around me more and I felt pressure of my right arm against my chest more. Probably because the club was moving more around in the right way, with the clubhead exiting lower.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I also noticed when I got the right shoulder more stacked at impact that my right arm was going around me more and I felt pressure of my right arm against my chest more. Probably because the club was moving more around in the right way, with the clubhead exiting lower.

Uh huh.

Current Swing after Warming Up

'

A2 - Pretty good

A4 - Swing a tad too long

A5 - Hands in a pretty good spot, Shaft pointing at the ball

A6 - Shaft is coming in steep I think

A7 - Hips not open enough, head moving away from ball

Nice swing, well done. As a curiosity, may I ask where is the camera angle here ? Is in line with your feet, stick, hands or ball ? Thanks

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

Nice swing, well done. As a curiosity, may I ask where is the camera angle here ? Is in line with your feet, stick, hands or ball ? Thanks

Down the toe-line, I try to keep it waist high.

Here's a great article on filming your swing. http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

And you got busted by the putting green Nazis. Shame on you.

My bad :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes tonight :no:

Side note, cartpath only tonight. The course was really wet.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/402367

Hole 1

Hybrid: Slight push into the rough. Because the rough points uphill the ball always gets stuck on a severe side slope.

PW: Ball was about a foot above my feet. My back foot slipped, hit a fat shot

56d: Ball was about 8 inches above my feet. I hit this weird low push hook distance wedge.

Bunker: Caught too much wet sand came up short

Hole 2

Driver: Heel Pull Draw into hole 3's fairway.

Hybrid: Decided to just play down this side, crushed a hybrid to pin high 70 yards left of the green.

60d: thinned a 3/4 wedge over the green

Pitch: caught a bit too much of the ball, but being above the pin, shortsided with the green running away from me. Inside of 15 feet would have been amazing. I had 20 feet.

Hole 3

Driver: Big push, big draw

PW: Ball was about 6 inches above my feet again. Just hit a pull draw into the bunker

Bunker: Caught too much sand again

Pitch: slightly thin to about 5 feet

Missed a 5 foot putt

Hole 4

Hybrid: Pull draw'd OB, Next one I caught about 4 inches heavy

6 iron: hit a good shot to the front part of the green

First Putt: Left a 50 foot putt 15 feet short

Hole 5

Driver: Straight draw to the fairway

52d: Pulled the wrong club, should have walked back to the cart, was to lazy. Hit it about 20 yards short of the green. Good leave area. Left and long is death.

Pitch: Caught it thin again, left me about 25 feet

After two putting for my bogey I tried the pitch again. I hit a great shot and holed it from 20 yards. #I_HATE_THIS_GAME

Hole 6

8 iron: Hit a great push draw to about 30 feet, middle of the green, two putted for par

Hole 7

3-Wood: Thinned it about 150 yards forward.

Hybrid: blocked it into the trees, marked as a lateral hazard

3-wood: slight push, caught a branch

6-iron: Hit a slight push with a bit too much draw, but the pin was back left and stuck it to 4 feet.

Missed the 4 foot putt, lip out.

Hole 8

8 iron: Hit one of those toe scoopy shots that ended up 15 yards short of the green. So about 30 yards short of my normal distance

Pitch: knifed it across the green.

Flop: Hit it pretty decent, but such a nasty slope the ball just trickled off the front edge.

Proceeded to three putt from 30 feet from (technically two putted, first putt was off the green)

Hole 9

Hybrid: Pull draw into the lateral hazard

8 iron: Nuked it, probably caught a flier out of the wet rough

Flop: downhill lie, green running away from me. Just hit a perfect flop onto the fringe and it trickled down to about 12 feet.

Left the 12 foot putt about 2 feet short.

That my friends is a round worth forgetting.

I hit some good shots on the range before the round. Was feeling confident. Swing just doesn't stay consistent on the course. I keep forgetting my short game keys. My putting escapes me at the worst times.

Back to practicing I go.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Looked back over the round. At worst I should have shot a +7. my full swing I need to get that right should turned correctly. I need to shorten and slow down the swing. Quality over speed. Putting, I have no clue why I'm struggling on distance control. Sometimes I just bash putts, like I subconsciously think, I have to get the ball to the hole. Maybe I'm using too short of a back stroke. Pitching, stop dipping. Distance wedges, work in that right shoulder piece. Just not sharp, to many unwanted and unneeded wasted shots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Hole 5

Driver: Straight draw to the fairway

52d: Pulled the wrong club, should have walked back to the cart, was to lazy. Hit it about 20 yards short of the green. Good leave area. Left and long is death.

I know the feeling of it.

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

• Administrator

my full swing I need to get that right should turned correctly. I need to shorten and slow down the swing. Quality over speed.

Just do that first. Forget the other things for now.

For the other things, make some good practice strokes and then just repeat that success.

Short and laid off feeling, right shoulder stacked over ball at impact. And yes, no need to go all out.