IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Dough, c'mon. It's not really saying much when you can thin, shank, and fat your wedges equally off all kinds of lies. ;) I've read your last two posts. Good. Don't worry about the slice, though if it continues you might just be overdoing some of the things. Not uncommon with the driver.

Like I said equal success :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went to the range this afternoon.

Worked on my downswing piece a bit. Then worked on just hitting shots.

Found that keeping my head looking down at the ball more helps out a lot. I found I have tendency to want to watch the club going back in the backswing. When I do this I hit thin shots. I kept eyes looking at the ball for the backswing and I just flushed the ball.

I also worked on some distance wedges. Contact was mixed results at first. Then I figured out that I need to keep turning so my chest points towards the target earlier. This really helped out being aggressive through the shot.

Pitching is similar. I need to keep pivoting towards the target. No stopping or I flip and hit really ugly shots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Went to the short game area today and worked on distance wedges and pitching.

Both are getting much better. I'm able to vary my distance and hit spots I want to. I created a game where I would hit a pitch onto the green, then that ball becomes my next landing spot.

Side note though, I found I was pushing my pitches when they are in the medium to long range.

I also went and worked on my putting. Set up a gate drill for a 6 foot straight putt. The tees were about 1/2 inch outside the ball's diameter. I worked on hitting my start line with a more shoulders than hands and arms in the putting stroke. Got pretty good. Then I worked on my left to right putts because I struggle with those a lot. Same thing, set up a gate drill where the ball would break through and hit putts so they didn't hit the tees.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes today. Course was cart path only, #WetOutSide :~(

Played some very consistent golf. Never really felt the round would get out of control on me.

Shot a +6, 42, Handicap Differential of 4.3

44% GIR,

1.78 putts, with a three putt. The putting stroke still feels forced, but better. Note, TRUST AIMPOINT. My three putt came on when I didn't want to go 4 fingers out from the cup and I hit the ball 10 feet past the hole. I tried the putt again and sank it from 35 feet. #FACEPALM!!!

I really had one terrible drive. Hole #2 I overdraw the ball into the water hazard. I hate that tee shot :~( . Then I smoked an 8 iron and then hit the best distance wedge I've hit all year. It landed pin high, but just carried this knoll and took a big hop forward. Still, that swing was so good.

Overall the iron play was much better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

DTL_Current

Could do more of what I need to do.

DTL_Practice

Tad better, could get the shoulders to work more around and less up, the right shoulder could go out more.

DTL_Driver

Is my posture up, too upright?

Same stuff, more right shoulder stacked at impact.

DTL_Pitching

FO_Pitching

Summary

Backswing: Shorten it

Downswing: More right shoulder out.

Overall it's getting there and the shots are much more consistent and contact is much better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Looks like you could rotate your hips better.

Of course, I'm absolutely joking. Very impressive to me, and motivating. Would easily believe you shot at or under par.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I am curious about the top of your back swing. The club seems very steady in your hands, similar to other good players. Would you say you grip it quite firmly, or is it more a matter of tempo and balance? My club shaft tends to dip below parallel in the backswing, which irks me.

Looks like you could rotate your hips better. Of course, I'm absolutely joking. Very impressive to me, and motivating. Would easily believe you shot at or under par. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I am curious about the top of your back swing. The club seems very steady in your hands, similar to other good players. Would you say you grip it quite firmly, or is it more a matter of tempo and balance? My club shaft tends to dip below parallel in the backswing, which irks me.

It's pretty firm. basically firm enough to maintain constant pressure, but not firm enough to to cause tension.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'm sure you've heard this before but shorter please :-)

One thing that stands out from previous swings is the left arm "gap" at A2. When you lose the pressure point, the sweetspot moves inside the hands and you compensate by working the shaft the most across the line at A4. The more you get it across the line the more you'll want to tip back and stay closed on the downswing. With A2 my guess is that this will improve as you focus on the shorter A4 but something to keep an eye.

- Shorten up the backswing, feel the shaft a little laid off at A4.

- Fire that right shoulder down and out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm sure you've heard this before but shorter please

Yep :whistle:

- Shorten up the backswing, feel the shaft a little laid off at A4.

- Fire that right shoulder down and out.

Probably the issue is I am trying to get the laid off feel at A4, but I am doing it from A1. Left arm up with club laid off at A4.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Probably the issue is I am trying to get the laid off feel at A4, but I am doing it from A1. Left arm up with club laid off at A4.

Hands go IN then UP and the club lays off later. Another way of saying it: no roll (1-3), lots of roll (3-4).

("Lots" just means more than from 1-3 but not actually "a bunch of it.")

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hands go IN then UP and the club lays off later. Another way of saying it: no roll (1-3), lots of roll (3-4).

("Lots" just means more than from 1-3 but not actually "a bunch of it.")

Gotcha

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driver Set Up

Wondering if the set up here would promote a too shallow shoulder turn and exacerbate the taking the club to far inside and not getting the left arm vertical?

Just seems like my hands are too far away from the body. It looks like my arms are pointing to right field while my body is square? I think my weight is balanced well here (not to far back on my heels).

Just something I noticed and wondered if I should worry about it? I know set up stuff is pretty simple to fix. If not then I'll let it be.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driver Set Up

Wondering if the set up here would promote a too shallow shoulder turn and exacerbate the taking the club to far inside and not getting the left arm vertical?

Just seems like my hands are too far away from the body. It looks like my arms are pointing to right field while my body is square? I think my weight is balanced well here (not to far back on my heels).

Just something I noticed and wondered if I should worry about it? I know set up stuff is pretty simple to fix. If not then I'll let it be.

I am not really too sure, but I did have a lot better results when I moved my arms into a more "free hanging" position instead of out away from the body a bit like yours are now.  That is a major set up piece I worked on with Erik and Mike last year in Erie.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I am not really too sure, but I did have a lot better results when I moved my arms into a more "free hanging" position instead of out away from the body a bit like yours are now.  That is a major set up piece I worked on with Erik and Mike last year in Erie.

I wonder if my weight is a tad to far back on the heels a bit. That would require me to extend the arms out more.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I wonder if my weight is a tad to far back on the heels a bit. That would require me to extend the arms out more.

In my case, it is the urge to give some extra room between myself and the ball to swing the arms and club freely. I almost always feel the inevitable arms disconnect from torso in the DS when this happens.

Vishal S.

Played 9 holes today at the crapy course. Shot a +4 40, should have been Even par with the three putting and the crappy distance wedges. 5 GIR 16 putts with two three putts Missed the green three times from inside 100 yards. On a side note, i hate wet courses.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driver Set Up

Just seems like my hands are too far away from the body.

And, presumably, this would lead you to setting up closer to the ball, no?  I recently scooted closer to the ball (all clubs, not just driver), which also allowed my hands to hang more straight down and I am hitting the sweet spot A LOT more often.

Driver Set Up

I would say it wouldn't hurt to try and get your arms to hang more freely at address.  Looks like you have a tad bit of reach which I think could help promote the inside takeaway. DJ's arms look a little more relaxed at address.

Really like the rest of your setup though in this pic.